Windows Media Centre- worth getting Vista Premium for? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-05-08, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Question Windows Media Centre- worth getting Vista Premium for?

I'm putting a new system together and can get a copy of Windows Vista Home Basic very inexpensively. But I also see that the Windows Vista Home Premium version has Windows Windows Media Centre in it.

Is Windows Media Centre worth bothering with, or is it just repeating a lot of functionality you have from other software.

For the system, I am putting in the LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player and am going to get a TV Tuner PVR card. What I want to do is to be able to record TV shows for playback later and play Blu-Ray/HD-DVD movies. Is there a benefit to Windows media player beyond the software with the tuner card, the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player?

Before I get comments to just use XP, I run it now and know the comments about Vista, but am going to give it a try anyway.

Panasonic TH-42PX60U, Harmony 670, Rogers HD 8300, 3250HD, Denon AVR-591, Chartwell SL3-5A, Venturer SHD-7000, Samsung 1600 BR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-05-09, 10:57 AM

There are more differences than just WMC. You need to ask yourself what software you want to use and how much will it cost to buy included with Windows or separately. I would get Premium but Basic might do the job with third party media software. You also need to check which Vista version the third party software requires. Here are a couple of links that might help...

Windows Vista Editions

Home Vista - Basic vs Premium
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-05-18, 10:30 AM

This might not specifically address your question, but here are my thoughts regarding Vista Home Premium.
I went from XP MCE to Vista Home Premium and will not go back. On my AMD64 2800 the experience improved. I have used SageTV, BeyondTV and XP MCE and I am sticking with Vista for my Media Center.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in