Linksys DMA 2200 Media Extender and NAS200 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-05-05, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Linksys DMA 2200 Media Extender and NAS200

I am looking to setup a Linksys DMA 2200 Media Extender connected to a Linksys NAS200 to replace my existing PVR(5600) with ExpressVu.

My plan is to return the 5600 rental and purchase the standard satellite receiver. I would then use the media extender combined with the NAS (built in media server) to give me my PVR fucntionality.

How does the Media Extender and satellite receiver work together? i.e. are you able to just plug the media extender into the satellite receiver and away you go...

Can the Media Extender fully control the satellite receiver when it is hooked up correctly? i.e. change channels, pull the channel guide etc.

Anyone sharing their experience using either of these units would be much appreciated!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-05-05, 02:53 PM
Member #1

Quote:
How does the Media Extender and satellite receiver work together?
They don't really.

A media extender works with an HTPC to extend what's on your computer desktop to your television. The signal source, such as cable, cable set top box or satellite receiver, connects to your personal computer.

Now if you can control the satellite box from your HTPC then you can control it from the Media extender.

My advice is to get your HTPC working with your cable of satellite provider then introduce the Media extender.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-05-05, 04:15 PM

Quote:
How does the Media Extender and satellite receiver work together?
They don't, I think.
Quote:
Can the Media Extender fully control the satellite receiver when it is hooked up correctly?
I don't think so.
And BeV PVR doesn't accept external hard drives yet.
And when it does, it will probably be DRM-ed, just like Dish starts tomorrow...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in