HTPC For Shaw use - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-05-04, 03:44 PM

This is a post from an Edmonton Shaw user taken from a site that can neither be linked to nor mentioned
Quote:
I record from firewire every day, HD mostly once in awhile SD. I have not had a single channel encrypted. I live in Edmonton so I'm stuck with Shaw as well. I do have the latest box though, DCT3416. Had a heck of a time getting firewire to work in XP (did get it finally) But worked instantly in Vista, just one driver to install and disable the second tuner in control panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-05-04, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

thanks, that gives me a lot of hope that i can get this thing built in a few days
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-05-05, 07:02 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by granduncle View Post
I have used only mATX boards for over 3 years now,
and don't regret it a bit. Again, if you're a gamer (what I'm not) - it could be different.
The downside to mATX boards is the lack of slots, especially PCI slots. The P5E VM-HDMI only has 1 PCI slot but has two PCI-E slots. Some people like to put lots of TV tuner cards into their system and those have traditionally used a PCI slot. Nowadays many of the newer tuners are USB or PCI-E so you could get away with this board. I came very close to getting this mobo for my latest PC but I wanted more than 1 PCI slot as I wanted to reuse an existing Hauppauge PVR150 analog tuner card plus a Kworld ATSC OTA HD tuner card, both of which use PCI slots.

The other downside would be if you want to use a higher end passive video card, like a Sapphire HD 3850 Ulitmate, then it may take up so much space in your case due to the large heatsink that adjacent card slots are not useful. But you don't really need this video card unless you are doing some gaming - I am adding this card to my existing HTPC as I needed a better card for BR playback plus I do play some Guitar Hero III which was causing my 7600GS passive card to choke.

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-05-05, 07:23 PM

It's personal.
The 7 PCs I built and used over the last 3 years had never more than 1 PCI slot filled and only the first 2 had video cards.
Lately the onboard video got good enough for anything but gaming...
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-05-05, 07:33 PM
Veteran

I agree the onboard video has gotten much better and now can also drive dual monitors. I also wanted to use the new Intel E8400 processor as it runs cool and quiet and the best onboard video is only for AMD CPUs.

Have you put TV tuners in the PCs that you have built? That is my only reason for using PCI slots these days. That and adding SATA ports to my WHS box that didn't have SATA on the mobo.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-05-05, 07:46 PM

Yes, I did.
Also used satellite tuners (PCI and 1xPCI-E).

RE: Onboard audio.
AMD is the undisputed leader. But there is every reason to suspect competition heats up.
Intel and NVidia are in a war of words. Each side claims the other is irrelevant (both have good points).
Intel announced G45 and NV - 8200. Both are suppose to be at least as good as 780G is now.
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-05-05, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

For me I just hate building mATX systems cause they are too small lol , other than that I use the board that best suits the job if it is mATX, EATX, etc. Last system I built was an ATX board as I built a gaming machine using the QX6850 system. So in the end it is the results that matter to me, as long as what I want to put in the machine fits with the slots so there is no comprimise.

I think with the Gigabyte board it should do the trick, only addon would be a firewire card if i get a second Shaw box. Other than that once the machine is built i will post back how well it work, so far I am impressed with the price everything for around 1600$ most expensive part is the HD/BD player from LG.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-05-05, 09:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayC View Post
Other than that once the machine is built i will post back how well it work, so far I am impressed with the price everything for around 1600$ most expensive part is the HD/BD player from LG.
That must be a pretty honkin' machine as I just built a very high end system (E8400, 4GB RAM, etc.) with the quietest quality parts I could find and it came in around $1200 (without monitor or TV tuner cards as I already had them).
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-05-05, 09:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by granduncle View Post
RE: Onboard audio.
AMD is the undisputed leader. But there is every reason to suspect competition heats up.
Intel and NVidia are in a war of words. Each side claims the other is irrelevant (both have good points).
Intel announced G45 and NV - 8200. Both are suppose to be at least as good as 780G is now.
Is that a typo? Should it read video?
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-05-05, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
That must be a pretty honkin' machine as I just built a very high end system (E8400, 4GB RAM, etc.) with the quietest quality parts I could find and it came in around $1200 (without monitor or TV tuner cards as I already had them).
Well I am hoping it will be, I will be switching out the stock cooler on the CPU for a Noucta one which I know will be almost silent, then bought a few 80mm fans of theirs to keep air flow good try and keep and noise at a minimum. I should have the parts by next week, and then it will just be getting the time to build it since i work a lot (reason for getting an HTPC as the Shaw one doesnt have enough capacity).

The Intel machine I built is water cooled so it is almost silent which is good, since everything is sitting in my living room (small apartment).
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-05-05, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
Is that a typo? Should it read video?
Yes, it should. Sorry.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-05-05, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayC
I think with the Gigabyte board it should do the trick, only addon would be a firewire card if i get a second Shaw box.
The Gigabyte 780G has a IEEE1394 pinout onboard (in addition to backpanel) for a front FireWire connection if your box has one...
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-05-05, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

I wasnt sure if it had the pinout for another firewire good to know it does. The case has a firewire port on the front, although i am not sure i would have another STB connected to the front.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-05-07, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Well I ordered the system and I will outline below the parts and pricing so if anyone else is looking at something similar for the dollar value. If everything goes well I should be getting the parts mid next week and hopefully have it assembilled late next week (work permitting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC
DVD-LG-GGW-H20L LG Blu-Ray Writer GGW-H20L 6X Super Multi SATA 365$
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB 2X2GB PC2-6400 115$ (Yea i was going to go with 2GB but in the end the 4GB kit was the same price as a 2GB kit)
Seagate Barracuda ES.2 1000GB 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 32MB 304$
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition 64BIT 213$
Silverstone Lascala LC20B Black HTPC Desktop Case 140$
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD 780G mATX AM2+ 95$
Noctua NH-U12P LGA775 AM2 Heatsink Heatpipe Cooler W/ NF-P12 120MM Fan 55$ (I am hoping this will be more silent and run cooler than the stock one)
AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad Core Processor Socket AM2 2.2GHZ 4MB Cache 95W Retail Box 204$ (I was going to go with the X2 but a lot of reviews are saying that the Phenom pairs better for the HTPC)
Microsoft Remote Control /W USB Receiver OEM for Windows XP Media Center Edition 27$

Total is 1518$
All in all not too bad just over 1500$ should built a pretty good HTPC, the price could come down by at least 300$ if you change out the CPU for an X2 and the LG drive for the older gen one. You could even get a different CPU cooler or go with the stock one. Another change could be the HDD, i went with the Seagate as it is their server side one so the life to live should be better. Once it is together I will post up some pictures of the setup and how well everything works together with HD/BD playback and recording from the Shaw DC-6200.

Clay
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-05-07, 12:20 AM

Why do you need the BD writer?
Blank BD media is at least twice the price of hard drive storage (per GB)...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in