HP Slimline s3330F - Overheating ? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-04-12, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

HP Slimline s3330F - Overheating ?

I bought the HP slimline s3330f a couple of weeks ago, and am running into problems with it freezing up while watching TV / DVD. When it freezes up, it becomes totally unresponsive, and the only option is to power it off via holding the on/off switch down for about 5 seconds. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems, and if it was resolved. I am considering returning it.

A complication that arises from the above is: I have the machine connected to my Samsung LN-S3251D TV via HDMI. When I reboot after powering it off, the computer starts up with the "do you want to reboot in safe mode" screen, which of course means the TV drivers do not get loaded, and I see nothing on the TV screen. At that point, I have to connect a standard computer monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 730B) via the DVI/VGA connector to see the screen, get it booted up, and log in to Vista, at which point the TV's HDMI connection then becomes active. Needless to say, moving my monitor from my business PC (in the spare bedroom) to the slimline (in the living room) just to re-boot is a pain in the ^&**&^%.

I surfed the internet for clues, and concluded that the problem was likely due to overheating - although I have the PC in a very well ventilated area. I even took the cover off, and ran a full-size room cooling fan at the thing - still gets hot and freezes.

I called HP tech support, and they agreed it was probably an overheating problem - even with the cover off, the tuner card gets too hot to hold your finger on it. They are sending me a new replacement TV tuner card, which I have not yet received - this may or may not resolve the problem.

I have downloaded and applied all the necessary software upgrades (this is a new PC ?) including:
- Update Vista to SP1
- Update the NVidia driver
- Update the Realtek soundcard driver
- Update the keyboard driver
- Update the Bluray/ DVD Player software
- Uninstall Norton (using their un-installer, which still leaves stuff in the registry that must be removed manually)
- Install AVG anti-virus
- Install ZoneAlarm firewall.

I also have run all the hardware diagnostics and the machine checks out OK.

Is this machine ready for prime time, or is it subject to design problems which will continue to give me grief ? When it works, its great. The "when it works" part concerns me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-04-12, 04:50 PM

I know my passive Asus 8500GT is hot beyond funny...maybe it is cooking your tuner card if they are adjacent to each other.

Use some monitoring utility to see if you're getting some readings suggesting overheating. The symptoms sure sound like overheating.

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-04-13, 07:25 PM

You do not need to boot into safe mode after a freeze (select No at the prompt.) It sounds like you need extra ventilation in or around the PC. Are the fans working? Is there room to mount another? You might want to consider other ventilation options such as a card type cooler next to the tuner card or a third party cooler that vents out the back for the video card. Also check the ventilation outside the PC. Cabinets can get too hot without ventilation of their own. Putting a PC above an AV receiver or in an unventilated cabinet is not a good idea.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-04-15, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Made a second call to tech support - computer will no longer boot. A new video card is now on the way. I had the PC in as well a ventilated area as you can get - cabinet open front and back, and about 12" of space all around. No other devices even close to it. Not a lot of room in the computer for more fans, and it does not have a large power supply. I think there are three fans in total already - the video card has its own fan. I am not really interested in modifying an off the shelf PC - I think it would probably invalidate the warranty. Just hoping the video card and tuner card replacements solve the problem. Will post results when I get the cards.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-04-17, 08:34 AM

That was my concern when I bought a S3300F and exchanged for a full size MCE desktop (M8277C).
Now I don't have WiFi but the expandability makes up for it

Samsung LN52A650, LN-S3251D; PS3 80GB; Wii; HP m8277c HTPC;
Denon AVR-588; Yamaha 5.1 Speakers; Harmony H688

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in