Remote for HTPC - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-04-09, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 238
Remote for HTPC

I have a Harmony 880 remote, what else i need to controle my PC Htpc from it?

THX in advance


Jean Claude
Jean Claude is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-04-09, 07:46 PM
Digital Sage
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,469
You will need some kind of IR receiver in the PC and a program such as Girder or Eventghost running on the PC.

Then you select a dummy device on the harmony, basically a component you don't have, and configure the S/W to interpret the IR commands and pass them to the PC.

MCE also has built in remote support, but I have not used that.
jvincent is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-04-11, 11:19 AM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 22
Actually for a 880 if you select Computer -> MEDIA CENTER PC the preset commands are fairly good if you are using basic mce. very easy setup

if you want to control you mouse etcetc and do other pc fuinctions then the girder way is good but can be fairly time consuming to setup
nesh-TO is offline  
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-04-14, 07:00 PM
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Scarboro
Posts: 6,334
The MCE remote is often a good buy as Girder costs $50 as do most IR receivers/transmitters such as the USB-UIRT. You can buy the MCE remote plus receiver/blaster for around $30.

But I don't know that you can always use the MCE remote with software other than MCE.
Wayne is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-04-21, 06:20 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,296
All you really need is an IR receiver and a driver. Some HTPC cases provide this or they can be purchased separately. An IR receiver/transmitter provides the ability to control other devices directly from the PC (such as cable/satellite receivers) and is an advantage when recording TV. Girder provides more flexibility but is expensive and not necessary much of the time. Popular receiver/transmitter/remote devices have wide support in application software. If you know what software you will be using, choose something that is supported by the software. The MS Media Center remote and receiver is an obvious choice if you are using Windows MCE exclusively. The Harmony 880 should have codes available for any popular IR remote. It can also learn new codes. (I've had issues with the SoundGraph iMon so it is best avoided.)
I_Want_My_HDTV is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-04-26, 12:28 PM
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Muskoka, Ontario
Posts: 848
I have the Hauppauge HVR1600, which came with its own remote and IR receiver/blaster. It is a combined cable that plugs into the back of the 1600/

If I want to use MCE, from what I can gather, I cannot use the receiver to control MCE.

1 - If I buy a 3rd party USB IR receiver, can I use my Hauppauge remote, and
2 - will the Hauppage blaster still work.

If yes, can someone point me in the right direction.

smp01 is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome