Remote for HTPC - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-04-09, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Remote for HTPC

I have a Harmony 880 remote, what else i need to controle my PC Htpc from it?

THX in advance

JC

Jean Claude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-04-09, 06:46 PM

You will need some kind of IR receiver in the PC and a program such as Girder or Eventghost running on the PC.

Then you select a dummy device on the harmony, basically a component you don't have, and configure the S/W to interpret the IR commands and pass them to the PC.

MCE also has built in remote support, but I have not used that.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-04-11, 10:19 AM

Actually for a 880 if you select Computer -> MEDIA CENTER PC the preset commands are fairly good if you are using basic mce. very easy setup

if you want to control you mouse etcetc and do other pc fuinctions then the girder way is good but can be fairly time consuming to setup

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-04-14, 06:00 PM
Veteran

The MCE remote is often a good buy as Girder costs $50 as do most IR receivers/transmitters such as the USB-UIRT. You can buy the MCE remote plus receiver/blaster for around $30.

But I don't know that you can always use the MCE remote with software other than MCE.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-04-21, 05:20 AM

All you really need is an IR receiver and a driver. Some HTPC cases provide this or they can be purchased separately. An IR receiver/transmitter provides the ability to control other devices directly from the PC (such as cable/satellite receivers) and is an advantage when recording TV. Girder provides more flexibility but is expensive and not necessary much of the time. Popular receiver/transmitter/remote devices have wide support in application software. If you know what software you will be using, choose something that is supported by the software. The MS Media Center remote and receiver is an obvious choice if you are using Windows MCE exclusively. The Harmony 880 should have codes available for any popular IR remote. It can also learn new codes. (I've had issues with the SoundGraph iMon so it is best avoided.)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-04-26, 11:28 AM

I have the Hauppauge HVR1600, which came with its own remote and IR receiver/blaster. It is a combined cable that plugs into the back of the 1600/

If I want to use MCE, from what I can gather, I cannot use the receiver to control MCE.

1 - If I buy a 3rd party USB IR receiver, can I use my Hauppauge remote, and
2 - will the Hauppage blaster still work.

If yes, can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in