Digital cable compatible tuner card (videotron illico + htpc) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-04-03, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Smile Digital cable compatible tuner card (videotron illico + htpc)

What kind of tuner card and setup (decryption etc) am I looking at in order to tune my cable company's digital and HD signal (QAM w/encryption? PowerKEY-based or DigiCipher-based?) with a media center compatible tuner card. Just so there's no confusion, I'm not looking to get free hdtv or digital, I just want to access the service I already have and pay for with my htpc instead of with their cable box so that I can display it across my media center network and all the other added benefits of the media center with one remote.

I know our signals are a bit more locked down here in Canada compared to some of the cable offerings down south but surely somebody here knows how to get it working with either device cloning or something similar.

I'd be willing to compensate somebody for their time if they wanted to pm me some good resources.

Btw the cable provider is Videotron but I'm sure its similar with VDN.

Thanks!

Last edited by tg989; 2008-04-03 at 04:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-04-03, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Well after much reading and dismay, I've found out the only way to do this is to pray to allah/god and hope my receiver is not firewire neutered and if it ISNT that it is still outputting HD instead of SD.

Nobody has come out with an unorthodox solution to this encrypted QAM/drm issue yet? ;\
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-04-05, 10:16 AM
Veteran

You can do nothing that is discussable on this forum anyways. You need to use your providers access mechanism, which at this time is only available built intothe box they provide.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in