PowerDVD 8 now available for PC - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-04-02, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

PowerDVD 8 now available for PC

I've noticed several members using this software so I thought I would post that CyberLink today launched PowerDVD 8.

Key features in PowerDVD 8 include:
  • Support for HD audio and video standards and formats, including AVCHD and Blu-ray Discs.
  • Pure Home Theater Audio – lets users enjoy unmatched clarity and purity through their high-definition, 7.1-channel home-entertainment system, or on the go using a notebook.
  • Movie Collection – lets users collect information about movies and sync with their online MoovieLive account.
  • Movie Remix – lets users create their own stories using their favorite DVD movies, rearranging scenes, adding dialog and commentary, subtitles, and on-screen effects.

Movie Collection

PowerDVD 8 allows users to build a database of their movie collection, and then sync and share information with other PowerDVD users.

Movie Remixes

Users can create stories from their favorite movies by selecting scenes and the order in which they want them played, and adding personal touches such as animated graphics, new voice-overs, alternate dialogs or commentary or personalized subtitles with adjustable font color, size, and shading.

Video Formats Support
  • MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
  • MPEG-2 HD
  • SMPTE VC-1
  • WMV-HD
Disc Formats Support
  • Blu-ray Discs: BD-Video profile 1.1, AVCHD
  • DVDs: DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-VR, DVD+VR
  • CDs: VCD, SVCD, Audio CD
Pricing

PowerDVD 8 Online Pricing in U.S. dollars: Ultra $99.95, Deluxe $69.95 and Regular $49.95.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-04-02, 03:57 PM
RRH

Figures I buy a full retail version of Ultra7 on the 15th of March
with Disk and the new & improved version comes out 2 weeks later, Ho Hum
Sometimes it seem like you can't win for trying.

Wonder how long it will be before I get the UPGRADE NOW e-mail
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-04-02, 04:30 PM

Wow, might be time for me to upgrade I am still using PowerDVD 4.0. Some nice feature upgrades in 8.

I have a photographic memory, trouble is most times the lens cap is on.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-04-03, 08:57 AM
Veteran

Beware - V8 does not support HD-DVD.

From what I have ready, V8 will coexist with V7, so you can keep V7 for HD-DVD playback. If you don't mind using two different players, one of which may no longer see updates.

If you go to the Cyberlink web site, you can view a page that compares versions of PowerDVD - including V7 and V8. However, you will find that the chart does not include PowerDVD Ultra V7 (PDU7). If you have PDU7, you may wish to dig a bit deeper before paying for the upgrade.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-04-03, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

rfielder, thanks for the heads up!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-04-07, 01:50 AM

FYI I believe you have 30 days to request a refund from Cyberlink. You could request a refund for PowerDVD7 Ultra and purchase PowerDVD 8.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-04-10, 11:22 AM
Veteran

I was tickked off to learn of they are no longer supporting HD DVD playback. I fired a support e-mail off to get the official word from them. I was planning on replacing my Xbox HD DVD Add-on drive with a dual format LG drive but I guess now I'm going to have to re-evaluate my playback solution. I don't want to use two players, that is obsurd!! I may try WinDVD as an alternative.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-04-10, 11:55 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
I was tickked off to learn of they are no longer supporting HD DVD playback. I fired a support e-mail off to get the official word from them. I was planning on replacing my Xbox HD DVD Add-on drive with a dual format LG drive but I guess now I'm going to have to re-evaluate my playback solution. I don't want to use two players, that is obsurd!! I may try WinDVD as an alternative.

I have been an Intervideo user for many, many years, since long before they were bought out by Corel. The only issue with WinDVD 9 for me is that it does not work with my ATI Remote Wonder remote control. Since the ATI RW has been dropped, nobody is creating new profiles for new software. WinDVD seems to be changing how it works, or how it identifies itself, so the RW does not work with it.

PowerDVD seems to stay consistent, since the RW continues to work. However, I have not tested the RW with PDU 8 yet.

Last edited by hugh; 2008-04-10 at 12:16 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-04-16, 06:46 PM
Veteran

There is a hack available to re-enable the HD DVD playback. I have not tried it but it is intresting. Apparently there was a leaked Beta of 8 going around that did have HD DVD playback. Someone got ahold of it extracted all the HD DVD parts and built a how to on how to shoe horn it into an RTM version of PDVD8. There are many reports of it working.

Here is a link

http://www.digital-digest.com/articl...DVD_page1.html
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-04-17, 08:22 AM
Veteran

I started to use PowerDVD Ultra 8 for the first time last night, with AVP:R.

Didn't work, and I had company, so I just fired up PowerDVD Ultra 7 and watched the movie.

Was able to make it work later, as a quick test. No idea why it went to a blank screen after the previews with PDU8. Will try again - reports are that it does improve picture quality.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-04-21, 01:25 PM

Here's a question for PowerDVD 8 users:

I have PowerDVD 4 and noticed that when it plays MPEG-2, the video is upscaled slightly... maybe 5-10%. When Windows Media Player is used to play the same MPEG-2 (using the PowerDVD video decoder) the video isn't scaled at all instead remaining pixel-perfect. I downloaded the PowerDVD 7 demo last month and now, the same MPEG-2 video is downscaled slightly, again maybe 5-10%. Does PowerDVD 8 offer pixel-perfect reproduction?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in