post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-03-25, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Mythbuntu 8.04 Early Look

Quote:
Mythbuntu 8.04 Brings MythTV Improvements To Fruition

Phoronix
Published on March 22, 2008
Written by Michael Larabel

Last November we had looked at Mythbuntu 7.10 and found it to be an excellent MythTV distribution. With its LiveCD MythTV front-end capabilities and intuitive Mythbuntu Control Center, this distribution is far more than just a re-branded edition of Ubuntu with a couple MythTV packages. Being released in tandem with Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron" next month will be Mythbuntu 8.04 and today we are taking an early look at this spring refresh using the recently released beta.
http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12090

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-04-28, 03:01 PM
asd

Hooray for Hardy

Stampeder,
I installed the official 8.04 Hardy Heron Mythbuntu and it's great. I notice a big improvement over Gutsy, which was brilliant too. I had no driver issues for wireless network, sound or video. It even recongized my 32 inch LCD as a Toshiba, via the DVI port. It's running on an Asus Pundit P1-AH2 -- the small book sized one.

It took about 5 minutes to download the torrent, 1 minute to burn disk image and 15 - 20 minutes to install on a brand new hard drive..

More specifically, Hardy streams high quality video via wireless G from my NAS, without a hiccup. Granted the files are XVID avi. The look of the GUI is very polished too.

When I reflect on how much easier it was to get up and running compared to Feisty, less than one year ago, it makes me wonder how much longer Vista can withstand the competition.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-04-30, 06:07 PM

I would love to use this but have issues with media sites and services that don't support anything but Windows and/or IE. I even have trouble getting some of them to work with 64 bit Windows or Firefox under Windows. I know emulation is available but that's not really suitable for use on an HTPC.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-05-02, 01:38 PM
asd

HDTV, I must admit I still use Windows XP machines besides Mythbuntu ones. My family wouldn't be completely comfortable with simply dropping the Gate's project. I have resisted Vista, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in