Computer (VGA) to LCD (HDMI) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2008-03-18, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Computer (VGA) to LCD (HDMI)

I've got my laptop in which I'm trying to connect it to an LCD TV which has a HDMI and a VGA input.

I need have it setup so that laptops with either a 'DVI out' or 'VGA out' can display their picture onto the LCD TV. So basically, it needs to have digital and analog signal (right???).

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm new at this) but.. a DVI-D cable won't work with my setup BECAUSE... its "only digital" and would need a DVI-D (digital) to VGA (analog) converter at my laptop end to plug the DVI-D cable into the VGA input of my laptop.

So I read about the DVI-I cable.. and it can do analog and digital signals. So, can I have this 'DVI-I' cable hooked into the LCD via a "DVI-I(female) to a HDMI(male)" passthrough piece? and then since the cable has the analog and digital signal it would work with VGA out and DVI out Laptops right??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2008-03-18, 07:36 PM

You need two cables.

1. A DVI-HDMI cable, which will allow laptops with DVI ports to connect to the TV via the HDMI port.

2. A regular old VGA cable that will allow laptops with standard VGA connectors to be hooked up to the TV via the VGA port.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2008-03-18, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

but why have 2 cables? Its my understanding that DVI-I can do analog and digital signals. Wouldn't a DVI-I cable allow me to connect a VGA passthrough piece on my laptop end so that VGA input can still work? Or does it depend on if my LCD TV can except a DVI-I input (as opposed to excepting a DVI-D) input?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2008-03-18, 07:52 PM

What is a "VGA passthrough piece" ?

Yes, a DVI-I cable carries both analog and digital signals but it doesn't plug into a VGA port so that doesn't help you.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2008-03-18, 07:53 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Please see the following thread. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=54306

It's also a good idea to provide information regarding the computer and TV makes/models, etc.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2008-03-18, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Here is the piece I was referring to (DVI to VGA):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814999301
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2008-03-18, 09:41 PM

You would use that if you had a DVI-I connector on the PC and you wanted to use a VGA cable to connect to the TV.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2008-03-19, 12:24 PM
Rookie

Angry Similar Problem

Hi,

I've recently tried connecting my PC (uses Nvid 7800 GTX card) to my TV (Samsung 46" flat panel bought about a month ago. think the model # is T4669) via a DVI->VGA converter.

At first, the TV wouldn't even recognize the computer signal, and instead went into a black screen. No P&P! Finally, I was able to restart the pc by mashing F5, and got it to boot (barely) in safe mode. I assumed from this point that I'd be able to adjust the display properties, but was unable to get it to run in anything other than 640x480x4bit!!!

Has anyone here ever heard of this problem? At this point, I'm probably just going to take it back to FS and get a Sony as I've never had a problem with them, but I'll be out another $600 to get a Sony tv with the same specs as the Samsung I'm losing.

Please let me know!

Cheers,

n
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2008-03-19, 12:46 PM
Rookie

Angry Another thought

From what I've seen here, I wonder if the problem might be due to HDCP. I thought this wasn't relevant with VGA.

My exact card is an Nvidia 7950 GTX. Would this card have HDCP? Is this really a source of the issue or would that only happen why trying to play hd movie content?

Any help is much appreciated.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2008-03-19, 12:48 PM

What does the manual say for resolutions supported on the VGA input?

You probably just need to set the video card to a supported resolution.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2008-03-19, 02:17 PM
Rookie

If it was that simple, I would have fixed it once I was able to reboot in safe mode. 640x480 is one of the supported resolutions. The more important problem is that it's not recognizing the TV properly via plug and play - which it should be able to do. My previous Sony tv had no problems. The normal resolutions which should be available simply didn't appear in the normal drop-down in video settings. I tried going via the "List All Modes" in Advanced and "All Modes" only included 1 line

640x480x4bpp
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2008-03-19, 03:03 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
HDCP doesn't apply to VGA, only DVI/HDMI.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2008-03-20, 11:17 AM
Veteran

DVI-I is one connector/cable that has separate analog (electrically VGA) and digital circuits. HDMI is digital only.

The passthrough adapter just brings the VGA circuit out to a standard VGA connector.

In theory, you could use a collection of adapters to use a DVI-I cable in place of separate VGA and HDMI/DVD-D cables. It would probably be more practical to use separate VGA and digital cables though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in