HD HTPC On a Budget
I guys...thanks for helping me out...
I read quite a few posts here and they were great to set me off in a good direction I think. Now I have put together a list of items I want in my first HTPC.
Purpose of this pc:
1. Mainly playing downloaded HD content.
2. Playing DVDs at the moment.
3. I will add a BD-Rom when it is within my reach, so I want to have that option open.
4. I want to add a satelite tuner card (I have a 102G card)
5. I want to add a TV tuner card (this is not a priority however).
6. I want to connect it to a LG 42" 1080p TV.
7. I think I will be running WinXP Media Center on it (I have the CD)
1. Has to be on a budget (hoping to do everything with in $500...including the Tax in Canada)
2. Has to be wife friendly (compact and can't make the living room ugly)
The system in mind to research:
1. AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Dual Core Processor AM2 2.7GHZ 2X512KB 65W 65NM Retail Box $115.99
2. ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus mATX AM2+ GE6100-NF430 1PCI-E16 2PCI SATA2 RAID Video Sound LAN Motherboard $67.73
3. HIS Radeon HD 3450 Heatsink 256MB DDR2 DVI VGA DIRECTX10.1 Video Card W/ HDMI Adapter $49.99
4. OCZ Reaper Hpc Edition PC2-6400 DDR2 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-15-2T Dual Channel EPP Memory Kit $74.44
5. IN-WIN BL631 (Black) mATX Slim Desktop w/300W $55.99
6. 160GB HDD SATA II 8/16MB $59.99
7. Some wireless keyboard/mouse. $50
Now here go the questions:
1. I did not research enough on the motherboard. I wasn't sure what to look for in the motherboard other then its brandname and stability. Your insight on this is highly appreciated.
2. The case I selected is compact, but I am worried about airflow since it is compact. Here is the URL: http://www.in-win.us/products_case_s...el_id=185#here
Alternate choice seems to be this one at almost double the price. URL: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...886&CatId=3428
What do you guys think? I really like the compact one because of its price and size. But then again am worried about the airflow and the PSU in the long run.
3. Any other insight is also very appreciated...like remote etc.
Thanks a lot for reading and replying.