Stream video from PC to TV (any format) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-03-15, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Stream video from PC to TV (any format)

(sorry if this is a double post, first one didn't show up)

Hello, I have a 37" LCD 720p/1080i (16:9) and a wireless N router. The TV and the PC are in two separate rooms (about 20' appart, the wireless signal gets there no problem as my Wii is on the network). I also have vista home premium with Windows Media Center, if that helps.

I want to watch various videos/DVD (including divx and other video format found on the internet) from my PC and send the image/sound on the TV. I found a few device claiming they can do this (http://sewelldirect.com/wireless-pc-to-tv.asp and http://www.pctotvconverter.com/) but most review I've seen so far talk about horrible quality even at very short distance.

Is there a way to do this? I found some info about Windows Media Center extenders (like Linksys DMA2100) but that seems quite limited with the types of files you can play (not to mention expensive!!!), I don't want to convert my video collection.

I just want to replace my wired S-Video connexion (from PC to TV) by something wireless so the PC and TV don't have to be in the same room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-03-16, 01:39 AM
Veteran

There are a ton of different options nowadays. I used to have my PC directly hooked up to my TV, but have since gotten an XBox 360, which does a decent job as a media extender.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-03-16, 01:49 AM

One of my buddies bought a "Popcorn Hour" streaming media box, and it does an awesome job. It plays basically every format, has a very user-friendly UI, and has several connectivity options.

www.popcornhour.com

i think it's quickly become high on my list of list of gadgets i want.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-03-16, 03:29 AM

I've used both TVersity & X-oom media server software on my PC to stream DivX movies through my Wii. When I get a PS3, I'll use that.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-03-16, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

"I've used both TVersity & X-oom media server software on my PC to stream DivX movies through my Wii." Wow, I had no idea this was possible. Thanks, I'll give it a try and let you know!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-03-16, 11:21 AM

I use my laptop.

Am I getting new Sony?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-03-16, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well I tried both TVersity and X-oom but without much success. I could access the interface of both applications on the Wii but X-oom was crashing when trying to add media to the library (found many people complaining about that on the web) and TVersity was crashing when trying to convert most files to the flash format (files that open just fine on my PC with media player or anything else).
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-03-16, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwijibo55 View Post
Wow, I had no idea this was possible. Thanks, I'll give it a try and let you know!
TVersity is free and works pretty well. It's stable for me as long as I don't try to click too many buttons at once. X-oom's interface is a little more polished, but doesn't let you view the video full-screen. I used them both to watch Top Gear episodes that I download from the net.

Both will also allow you to play MP3s and subscribe to podcasts, but I haven't tried it on X-oom, yet.

The only problems I encounter is sometimes a little lag time over my wifi connection and the automatic screen dimming on the Wii. I can't remember if that's a system setting, but all I do then is simply press a button on the wii-mote.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-03-16, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Scratch that, managed to get TVersity to work on windows XP, my main partition is on Vista and it doesn't seem stable.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-03-16, 11:40 PM

I've tried to do this wirelessly for a long time. IMO there is no reliable wireless solution that handles multiple file formats and preserves reasonable video quality.

If you are a hobbyist and want to put some time in, I'd try some of the workarounds suggested.

If you don't have a lot of time to experiment, my advice is similar to Battscrew - buy a laptop or a desktop with Vista Media Centre loaded, connect it to the TV manually, download Quicktime/iTunes/Divx and forget about wireless for now.

I've been using a Sony VAIO desktop, Vista Media Centre, Quicktime/iTunes and DIVX and it plays anything I have in my video collection, consistently and without any BSOD. Editing and recording etc is done on my main home office PC, but the VAIO is the video jukebox. All it does is play audio and video files. Solid as a rock for three years.

The killer app is coming in this area - CES this year had several competing solutions that were announced - but nothing wireless works a) dependably b) for a wide range of video file formats.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-03-17, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

thegiffer, what do you think about something like this (the D-Link DPG-1200):

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=655

Not yet available but this is most likely what I will go for when it's ready. Only I'm disappointed about is it's 802.11g
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-03-18, 09:44 AM

Until that new D-Link is released and the reviews start coming in, I have stumbled on a decent, but not great, solution. Using Orb on my desktop and running the Opera browser on my Wii which is attached to my TV, I am able to stream essentially any content sitting on my desktop, onto my TV. This includes all video, audio, pictures, etc. The quality of the video, when displayed on my big screen TV is not great, but it is stutter free and for now, is a pretty decent solution of getting content off my PC and onto my TV, basically, for nothing, as Orb is free (and I have been using on my PC for years) and I already have purchased the Wii.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-03-19, 05:21 PM
Veteran

You could also use WebGuide for Vista Media Center. It is similar to Orb but is much better integrated into Media Center. http://www.asciiexpress.com/webguide/. You can access webguide via your browser so hopefully that would work in conjunction with Wii as well. If you set it up correctly you can also use it to remotely schedule recordings on your PC.

Another option is to get an XBOX360 as they function as a Media Center Extender.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-03-19, 06:01 PM
Veteran

A guy at work swears by the Mediagate products... i believe he has a MG350HD or the earlier product. You can stream without the HDD in the box if you want... directly from a media PC in another part of your house.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in