Codecs question and DVD Ripping? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-03-11, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Question Codecs question and DVD Ripping?

Here are some easy questions for you:

1) Why are there so many video formats (ex. avi, divx, mpg, mpeg, wmv, etc.)? Music seems so straight forward (mp3 seems the standard format for almost everything) and video seems so complicated.

2) Is it possible to rip a DVD to my computer, just like an music album, and if so how and what's the best program?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-03-12, 12:16 AM

First of all there aren't that many video formats. It all depends on which codec you decide to use, you'll have to decide that by yourself. But essentially .divx is .avi with a divx codec. mpeg and mpg are the same thing with a different extension and .wvm is the windows media format ( never recommended by me ). So you either rip in a .avi with a codec of your choice or .mpg with a codec of your choice.

For the programs there are hundreds out there, I can't help you personally though. I've never ripped in anything other than straight dvd images in iso formats. sorry.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-03-12, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

So when a video format (.mpg, .avi or .wmv) is used with a codec, then the file extension is changed, like the .divx example you used? So .avi, .mpg and .wmv are video formats without a codec?

Also, what is wrong with the .wmv format? I was actually thinking of converting my video files to this because it is the only format I can find that will play through my XBOX which I'm trying to use as an extender to my computer.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-03-12, 12:47 PM

It's actually even a little more confusing.

Many of the extensions are really just "wrappers". The actual encoding format, i.e. what codec is used, can be independant of the file extension. Usually the file has the codec that was used identified in it. The media player then opens the file and uses the correct codec based on what information is in the file.

There's actually nothing wrong with wmv. Depending on which version you use it was what eventually became standardized as VC-1, which is used for HD-DVD and BluRay. It is a very good codec in terms of image quality and bit efficiency.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-03-15, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce T View Post
Here are some easy questions for you:

2) Is it possible to rip a DVD to my computer, just like an music album, and if so how and what's the best program?
The most straightforward program I have used to rip dvds to DivX, XviD, H.264, etc., is FairUse Wizard 2. The full version is currently free for download for a limited time: FairUse Wizard Website.

NOTE: During the install, choose not to install the browser toolbar.

Here is a comprehensive guide on how to use FairUse Wizard 2: How to rip a DVD to XviD/H264 using FairUse Wizard 2
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-03-24, 02:47 PM

Rip DVD in ISO format

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWilliamCash View Post
For the programs there are hundreds out there, I can't help you personally though. I've never ripped in anything other than straight dvd images in iso formats. sorry.
Can you share how you rip the DVD images in ISO format? What software would you recommend?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-03-24, 09:15 PM

DVD Decrypter does an excellent job ripping DVDs to iso format.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in