Component Video Output on a motherboard? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-03-25, 01:42 PM
Veteran

That is correct nesh-TO.

The Asus boards have always suffered from the lack of a dedicated set of SPDIF ports on the ATX breakout.

On the M2A series, the second you install a dedicated vid card, you lose your SPDIF. It is this reason that causes me to never buy an Asus board and to also recommend heavily the Gigabyte equivalent as they seem to engineer their boards a lot better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-03-25, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by que3jxp View Post
That is correct nesh-TO.

The Asus boards have always suffered from the lack of a dedicated set of SPDIF ports on the ATX breakout.

On the M2A series, the second you install a dedicated vid card, you lose your SPDIF. It is this reason that causes me to never buy an Asus board and to also recommend heavily the Gigabyte equivalent as they seem to engineer their boards a lot better.
You can still use the Digital Coax output on the M2A-VM-HDMI, you just use the riser module without actually plugging it in the PCI-E slot while connecting the TV/SPDIF wires. I have done it for the longest time.

I am done with Asus as well...I got 2 of their more popular mobos (M2NPV-VM and M2A-VM HDMI) and both have these addon module that is inconvenient to the Nth degree. No one should make the same mistake

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-03-27, 12:55 AM

yes the riser card should do the trick if you ever expand. as the digi audio headers on the mobo seem standard.

In hindsight maybe I would have got the gigabyte for scalability however these only come with TOSLINK optical audio out ... discussions aside ... I prefer using digital coax for audio since I invested in a very high end coax cable.

Building a HTPC is all about customizing your needs and tastes and making tradeoffs ... I like to say....its never quite perfect until its perfect

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-03-27, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesh-TO View Post
yes the riser card should do the trick if you ever expand. as the digi audio headers on the mobo seem standard.

In hindsight maybe I would have got the gigabyte for scalability however these only come with TOSLINK optical audio out ... discussions aside ... I prefer using digital coax for audio since I invested in a very high end coax cable.

Building a HTPC is all about customizing your needs and tastes and making tradeoffs ... I like to say....its never quite perfect until its perfect
The TV/AUDIO header on the M2A-VM HDMI is actually not standard, but the pins are easy to figure out reading the manual.

The Gigabyte -S2H series mobos come with Optical port on the back AND Digital Coax Output (AND INPUT) as a header on the mobo. You don't need to spend $15-20 bucks to get the adapter, COAX adapters is easy to make for <$2. My Nmedia HTPC case actually comes with one.

Optical port is not an easy DIY, so having in on the back standard is good.

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in