NAS for media file serving - questions - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-04-21, 08:12 PM

Thought I'd ask some more questions. I am currently running a Linksys NSLU2 with a 500 GB USB drive. Most of my network is gigabit and the Slug is just that .. a slug. So, I am looking to upgrade and am considering three options.

The need is primarily to serve music to two PC's and a PS3. Some video serving as well, but not as important.

I like the D-Link DNS-323, but would like to be able to use an external USB drive since I already have a 500GB one, so I think this is the least preferred option.

I've narrowed it down to the Buffalo Linkstation Pro or the QNAP TS-109. Both support TwonkyMedia as a local install which is my preferred media server. The QNAP solution will be more expensive, but has a little more flexibility in that it also supports eSATA external hard drives.

Just wondering if anyone has any feedback about either of these, or any other thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-04-23, 10:06 PM

Have you looked at the new (2nd) generation mediavault from HP ?
It has twonky also ... Support usb external drive (unlimited size expansion). I have but good thing about it.
If I had the money, I would change my first gen for a second gen without hesitation (even the first gen was good, the 2nd is just ... better).
Patrick S.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is ...
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-04-24, 02:30 AM

Didn't really consider the HP products at all. Looks like some good products, but I actually went with the Synology DS107 (the 'e' version which doesn't have ADS and a little less memory).

I liked the onboard UPnP server works with the PS3 without having to load Twonky (although Twonky does have a distribution for it). I especially like the support for 3 external USB drives and an eSATA drive. Leaves me with a lot of storage options. I added a 500GB SATA2 Western Digital Hard Drive to the purchase.

Just setting it up this evening. I'll probably post up some sort of review/wrap-up of my experience with it.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-04-08, 01:07 PM

NAS box

I just bought a Thecus N4100 Pro with built in Media Server it works with my Wii and you can plug in a wireless USB to make it wireless or use the wired connection
I also bought an EVA 700 by Netgear from Ebay and it works with that to my TV wirelessly play music,Video and Pictures

Tags
media streaming , nas , orb , squeezebox , tversity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in