post #31 of 120 (permalink) Old 2008-03-10, 01:03 PM

HTPC up and running!

Antec Lifestyle Case - Black
Gigabyte - MA78GM-S2H GPU built in - HDMI out and supports HD Audio
Seagate 320 SATA HD - only got 80 Gig of Music
AMD Athlon X2 BE2400
Crucial Ballistic 2GB PC8500(1066)
Existing Plextor 716A DVD burner

So far this thing is doing everything I hoped except I can't get the remote working properly. As you can see I did not include A B/R ROM to start with. So My only HD test was playing a HD file offloaded from my Sony HiDef Camcorder but it played perfectly. With The AMD chipset I choose I am running both cooling fans on low and it still runs cool and quiet. I think I made good choices for this system, and for whatever reason, the HD test file I used plays better on my HTPC system than it does on my desktop. Got a high end Nvidia garphics card in that sucker!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 120 (permalink) Old 2008-03-10, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammossey View Post
Antec Lifestyle Case - Black
Gigabyte - MA78GM-S2H GPU built in - HDMI out and supports HD Audio
Seagate 320 SATA HD - only got 80 Gig of Music
AMD Athlon X2 BE2400
Crucial Ballistic 2GB PC8500(1066)
Existing Plextor 716A DVD burner

So far this thing is doing everything I hoped except I can't get the remote working properly. As you can see I did not include A B/R ROM to start with. So My only HD test was playing a HD file offloaded from my Sony HiDef Camcorder but it played perfectly. With The AMD chipset I choose I am running both cooling fans on low and it still runs cool and quiet. I think I made good choices for this system, and for whatever reason, the HD test file I used plays better on my HTPC system than it does on my desktop. Got a high end Nvidia garphics card in that sucker!
This is almost exactly the same configuration as I ordered Sunday, with the only exception that ordered the Antec NSK2400 case,Samsung DVD, the Western Caviar 320GB. And I ordered 4GB of the same Ballistic Ram (overkill I know).

I am putting Vista 64 on it. (Making the jump !)

I am so excited I could pee.
post #33 of 120 (permalink) Old 2008-03-10, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammossey
and for whatever reason, the HD test file I used plays better on my HTPC system than it does on my desktop. Got a high end Nvidia garphics card in that sucker!
Yup.

Video playback is not a design requirement on gaming cards today. The mid grade cards form both ATI and NVidia are generally far better than any of the $600 elite gaming cards.

And where the chipset of this new mobo is based around a mid-ish level graphics unit that is intended for video playback, it will hand many an expensive gaming card its hat.

post #34 of 120 (permalink) Old 2008-03-10, 08:25 PM

I'm considering updating my HTPC using a 780 mATX board. Most of you are using the GA-MA78GM-S2H. Anyone look at the Asus M3A78-EMH (HDMI)? If so, what steered you towards the Gigabyte board?
post #35 of 120 (permalink) Old 2008-03-10, 08:29 PM

For me, the reason is that the ASUS doesn't have an integrated SPDIF on the backpanel although it does have a header on the PCB.

Since I will be using SPDIF to my receiver the Gigabyte is a better choice.

Also, the Gigabyte has a better audio codec which provides DTS connect among other features.
post #36 of 120 (permalink) Old 2008-03-10, 08:41 PM

I wasn't concerned about SPDIF as I was going to try audio via HDMI ... but might not be the best idea not have it as a fall back. The audio codec was what I was wondering more about. Thanks jv ...

Of course, now I'm trying to decide between a Phenom (the TLB risk doesn't bother me) or an x2 (probably a 5200 (65nm)).

Last edited by JohnnyCanuck; 2008-03-10 at 09:05 PM.
post #37 of 120 (permalink) Old 2008-03-11, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
I'm considering updating my HTPC using a 780 mATX board. Most of you are using the GA-MA78GM-S2H. Anyone look at the Asus M3A78-EMH (HDMI)? If so, what steered you towards the Gigabyte board?
Apples to apples the Gigabyte is comprehensive and this Asus is not (no back panel SPDIF/Firewire/eSATA)...I can't imagine getting one without digital audio output on the back. The audio is a good point, my Gigabyte G33.S2H outputs DTS and is pretty cool and actually sound half decent.

Main reason I steered away from Asus is because of 2 problematic Asus mobos...no more for me.

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"
post #38 of 120 (permalink) Old 2008-03-11, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Of course, now I'm trying to decide between a Phenom (the TLB risk doesn't bother me) or an x2 (probably a 5200 (65nm)).
The reviews seem to point towards a Phenom as the GPU takes advantage of the increased memory B/W for better processing performance.
post #39 of 120 (permalink) Old 2008-03-11, 12:23 PM

HTPC remote problem

I have most remote features working once I loaded Vista Home Premium. I can't figure out the correct power connections to allow the unit to power up with the remote. Antec website has a picture but there explanation sucks. Anyone of you guys in the know, got any ideas.

Thanks
post #40 of 120 (permalink) Old 2008-03-11, 04:32 PM

The extra cores in the Phenom are a help only when encoding divx or the like. Otherwise, an EE variant of an x2 would serve you better.

The other benefits of the Phenom (L3 cache, faster hypertransport) have no real world benefits for HTPC applications.
post #41 of 120 (permalink) Old 2008-03-11, 04:36 PM

Quote:
The other benefits of the Phenom (L3 cache, faster hypertransport) have no real world benefits for HTPC applications.
But that is not what is being reported right now. The few reviews that are available are reporting higher HQV scores when a Phenom is used.

What's not clear to me is if some of the new X2 CPUs (I'm thinking 4850e specifically) will let you increase the HT speed and if they do will that give a corresponding boost in HQV performance.
post #42 of 120 (permalink) Old 2008-03-11, 04:41 PM

The benefits of the Phenom probably come from it's higher IPC count. DOn't get me wrong, I love my 9500. But I think it's a CPU better suited for a desktop computer than an HTPC. Remember that Phenom's are 95W TDP, although each core now has separate voltage and speed control, as well as NB speed control.

And no, the a64 x2s can't benefit from the higher HT bus. AMD will release Phenoms with defective dies as triple and dual cores eventually, and those will be able to benefit from the new 780/790 chipset features. The revised Stepping of Phenoms is due this spring, minus the TLB error.
post #43 of 120 (permalink) Old 2008-03-11, 08:50 PM

Trying to get this clear in my head. The purpose is primarily video playback. A lot of TV in .avi format (DivX or XVid) as well as Blu-ray and HD DVD (might allow for me to reduce the number of standalone boxes I have).

So, if I upgrade my HTPC (going 780G) and want to go with a CPU that will give flawless HD playback through a front end (either MS or MediaPortal) ... which is a better solution: a Phenom or or an X2?

If X2, the 4850e is seemingly not yet available in Canada. Would a BE-2350 not be underpowered for the application?
post #44 of 120 (permalink) Old 2008-03-11, 09:04 PM

The TV stuff will be easy no matter what solution.

For flawless HD I would have to say that a Phenom is a better choice right now. Keep in mind though that it is still very early days and the driver situation is very fluid.

If you knew you could unload the BE-2350 at not too much of a loss you could always be the guinea pig for us and if it doesn't work go to a Phenom.

Myself I'm probably waiting for the 9550 (aka B3 stepping) to become available. That should also mean two driver updates as well.
post #45 of 120 (permalink) Old 2008-03-13, 01:15 AM

I'm back and forth on this and now thinking that I might wait for the next batch of CPU's before taking the plunge. Then again, have my annual bonus eating a hole through my wallet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in