Best way to watch mkv and vob on lcd - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 2008-02-25, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Best way to watch mkv and vob on lcd

I have an xbox 360 and a laptop. The laptop doesnt have a dvi ouput, but it has a vga.

To connect my laptop to my tv I was considering getting a vga-vga. The tv has 2 mono inputs for the sound.

I have been decoding the mkvs to mp4, but not all files decode successfully to be streamed by the 360. I want to know what would be the best options to watch mkv and vob on the tv.

I have heard of vlc 360 and tversity, but are they able to stream all types of files to through the xbox 360?

The second option I am considering is getting vga-vga and an audio cables connecting from my laptop to the 2 mono inputs on the tv.

Are there any other better options?

I may still consider getting cables to connect my laptop to the tv just to check out gaming on the larger screen. Since I am a complete noob, which cables should I get from monoprice to make it work? (There are too many different types of vga and audio cables)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 2008-02-25, 07:11 PM

Hi there,

the 2 mono inputs will not give you 5.1 surround which I assume will be carried in your mkv/vob source.

you can get this working on your laptop by using an external sound device
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit External USB Sound Card is an example

VGA is suitable, I've used VGA for a HDTV and quality is just as good.

Check it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in