Linux Based HTPC Software - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Linux Based HTPC Software

Hi everyone... just looking for some more information on what linux based HTPC software would best suite my needs!

I'm currently building a HTPC not for relaying HD TV signals to my TV because im using shaw hd. So i want to build a HTPC for playing Divx's, downloaded HD content, also to watch HD-DVD, and blu-ray dvd's.

Can anyone tell me what linux based software would be best for this? i really dont want to use windows if i dont have to! thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 12:59 PM

there's Myth disto, very popular and free , I'm using Sage in OEM Linux version with their STX HD extender and when the HD pvr card comes out it will make is more appealing.

I only know of the two that I have personal tested. and even though Sage isn't free well worth it because of the extra features. as for HD dvd and blue ray support, I don't know any, that can play it unless you rip them to the server.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

really the Media extender is useless to me... shaw signals are encrypted and i wont be able to record and HD singals anyways.

so mostly will be using it to play downloaded content and playing HD-DVD and blu-ray dvd's. Think just the myth distro will be good enough?

i was thinking mythbuntuu?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 01:21 PM

Well I wound give it a shot Mythubuntu is good and easy. with LIRC for remote support and you will be fine. When hauppauge releases their hi def pci card that can record from your HD box via RGB cables you can that to what ever you are using.

I would hop on over to myth forums about read up on getting HD/BR disc playing for your needs. I dont think any video cards from Ati or Nvidia have drivers that have the hardware accel. for H.264/VC-1 enabled yet (but I could be wrong)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

oh i didnt realize i can use RGB cables??? even if the signal is encrypted ?? still new to this but i recieve my hd signal via SHAW terminal i wanted to record my tv shows etc but i really dont want to buy the shaw PVR system since i can spend 600 bucks and get something WAY better.

How would this work? my understanding is signal is sent to the SHAW hd box then i can run a RGB cable to my HTPC using the video capture card? then use HDMI to display to the TV?

Please let me know if my understanding is correct.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 02:43 PM
rpr

You can't do that (yet). You can capture from an STB via S-Video, composite, or (and not recommend) co-ax. There are no consumer level component capture devices yet. I have been using MythTV for a couple of years and would not hesitate to recommend it. I have looked at SageTV but I don't see what features it has that you can't do with Myth. If you are somewhere that can receive OTA HD, then you can do that now with Myth very easily.

Any Linux based solution is going to require some decent knowledge of Linux, but starting with something like Mythbuntu is a very good start, and should be relatively easy to get working.

Tom

Tom
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I do have an extensive unix background so getting around is not an issue... but i will be putting together a HTPC to play both HD-DVD's and Blu-ray's. will i run into any issues with getting this displayed on my TV?? the motherboarder has a built in video card and HDMI port total system is around 700 bucks but i think its worth it!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 06:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreckis604
oh i didnt realize i can use RGB cables??? even if the signal is encrypted ??
Check out this thread

To summarize, it will allow ANY device that outputs in component (RGB cable connectors) to be recorded from. Super specific details are still lacking but it is supposed to be out this quarter so that means end of March at the latest. Sage is not definitively stating full support but there have been more than enough hints that this is indeed the case.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-01-31, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

WOW! this is EXCELLENT! cant wait! i will be first on the list to purchase this bad boy :P
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-01-31, 12:10 PM
rpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreckis604 View Post
I do have an extensive unix background so getting around is not an issue... but i will be putting together a HTPC to play both HD-DVD's and Blu-ray's. will i run into any issues with getting this displayed on my TV?? the motherboarder has a built in video card and HDMI port total system is around 700 bucks but i think its worth it!
As for Blu-Ray/HD-DVD, you will need a fairly hefty processor (Core 2 Duo would be good) and a good video card. What is the onboard video? If it's not Nvidia or ATI, you will likely be looking for a card shortly. Nvidia are better supported in Linux, from my experience.

Tom
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-01-31, 12:48 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

See also LinuxMCE:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73658

It looks interesting, but I haven't tried it. I rolled my own MythTV backend and frontend HTPCs running Mandriva. This gives me complete OTA-sourced HD recording/burning/sharing. I'll be adding a BR burner too.

Use the DHC Search tool with the term "Mythdora" for several other Linux HTPC threads.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-01-31, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Already have this as my hardware....

- LG GGC-H20L BLU-RAY HD-DVD Reader BD-ROM 6X HD DVD-ROM 3X DVD+-RW 16X8X6 DL 4X Black SATA Software
- ASUS M2A-VM HDMI mATX AM2 AMD 690G DDR2 PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI Video HDMI Sound Motherboard
- Amd Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core Processor AM2 2.2GHZ 2X512KB 65W 65NM Retail Box
- Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 8.9MS Hard Drive 3 Year Mfr Warranty
- OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit

Just working on a HTPC case right now....
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-01-31, 02:39 PM
Rookie

Linux MCE

I would say stay away from Linux MCE in this case and go with Mythbuntu, or maybe Mythdora.

I've been slowly building an HTPC for the last few months and started with Linux MCE only to find it extremely finicky with video cards, remotes, and many other things (in fact, without a fairly recent NVidia card you won't get the pretty UI they advertise, just a basic (ugly) one). It's probably great for those out there with Z-wave lighting systems, security setups, and who basically want to control their whole home from their TV, but I made the jump to Mythbuntu after a week of frustration and couldn't be happier.

My system now does exactly what you want (minus the HD/Blu-Ray part) and I'm loving it.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-01-31, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Do you think with that setup and the Blu-Ray /HD -DVD drive will work ??? or will i need to upgrade the video card??
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-01-31, 05:42 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Question

Is there a Linux driver for that onboard graphics card?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in