Power usage and HTPC's - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-25, 06:31 PM

I've tested several PCs. The interesting thing is that newer PCs draw significantly less power than those a couple of years older. Power consumption appears to have peaked with P4s and ATI 9800's. I had a couple of PCs with those and they were real energy guzzlers, as well as difficult to cool quietly. AMD and nVidia products also peaked about the same time. Even a Core 2 Quad draws less power on average than a fast P4. A new PC can help pay for itself with power savings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-25, 08:13 PM
Veteran

Where is the link?
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-26, 07:53 AM

I've done some testing on an old laptop & NEC CRT monitor I just retired. It was only Win98SE (no kidding) and the NEC was 15 years old. It had very little power saving in sleep as it basically only shut off the harddrive. Maybe only 1W. For the NEC the sleep/standby was around 8-10W.

One thing I noticed with the NEC was how different color backgrounds made a difference. With my normal blue desktop both drew about 80W, but when I changed to a white background in stayed about 86W. I tested with difference screen savers and noticed the same behavoir. I will be doing similar testing on my Sammy LCD monitor in the next few weeks and I will report my results here.

Getting back to HTPC, my current machine which I use as an all-in-one is a Athlon64X2 (6000+ 3.0 GHz (89W)) with Vista premium. I hope to test it this weekend, but I use S3 sleep and expect it to only draw 10-20W in sleep. This does not include the LCD but I usually shut it off every night anyway. I have to say that the S3 sleep works great. The remote and wireless keyboard and mouse receivers still get power and are able to wake up the PC within 5 seconds. Over 4 weeks I only had trouble waking up the machine with the remote/keyboard/mouse only twice, and when that occurs all you have to do is press the main power button. For you with XP MCE 2005 it is possible to set up S3 sleep using a tool called dumppo, but it depends on your hardware and bios.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-26, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by que3jxp View Post
Where is the link?
That qualifies as a major Duh!. Sorry about that!

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/519/1
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-26, 10:12 PM

Basic readings for my HTPC -

Athlon64X2 (6000+ 3.0 GHz (89W)) with Vista premium:
Power Off - 5W
Power On - Ranges 80 - 150W starting up, but once drives stop after logging in it settles down to 82W.
Sleep - 7W!!!

Samsung 216BW
Power off - 2.5W
Power on - 41W (just desktop)
Sleep - 2.5W

Altec Lansing VS2120 2.0 Speakers
7W on or off

So all together in sleep mode that's 16.5W. If I include the Starchoice Receiver (Motorola 305 - on or off 10W) then 26.5W.

I am going to leave the computer plugged into the power meter for a few days to get a true average consumption reading.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-27, 11:58 AM

I assume y'all have Cool N Quiet enabled for your A64 CPUs, and set windows to minimal power management mode.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-27, 03:01 PM
Veteran

I have Cool n Quiet on on my X2 4000 but that is it.

It only uses 60 w when not used for playback so I am not too concerned. Even if I turned it OFF for 8 hours 5 days a week, it would only save about $15 per year or 195 KWh.

The big trick is getting rid of MAJOR consumers (P4 chips, too much RAM, too many HDDs, etc...) in systems that are on all the time.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-27, 08:05 PM

Talking

I agree. Don't forget about older Athlons and high powered video cards. Some of those take up to 150w each under full load. I was amazed when I found my C2Q system consumes less power than my old P4 single processor system.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 01:43 PM
Veteran

Two good reviews from Toms Hardware that cover power usage on Intel and AMD platforms over the last few years...

Intel

AMD

It is not as deep a field of CPUs as it should be but it is still interesting info none the less.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in