Help me Build New HTPC (Post here to discuss plans for new HTPC) - Page 72 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1066 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-05, 07:28 PM

^ would this concern also apply to the Atom D525 Dual Core that's in the Asus EeeBox PC EB1501P?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1067 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-06, 09:27 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
^ From what I have read, yes.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #1068 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-31, 06:03 PM

Just thought I'd follow up and post what I ended up going with. I passed on the Ideacentre due to the questionable Atom processor and decided to build something custom instead. It ended up being a little more expensive than I was hoping (approx. $540-$550 + tax) but this thing is going to fly.

I've ordered everything over the last week or so - still waiting on a couple pieces to arrive. Here are the specs that I went with (and prices):

AMD A8-3870 Quad-3.0Ghz 4MB + Radeon HD6550 $140
ASRock A75M microATX motherboard $95
Silverstone ML03B case $56
Seasonic SS-400ET power supply $47
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB RAM $45
Crucial M4 SATA3 64GB SSD $95
250GB HDD (old drive - will replace with large 2TB+ drive once prices drop)
Lenovo Enhanced Multimedia Remote $32
DVD Drive/Burner $22
In most cases I was able to do in-store pick-up so there were only minimal shipping costs (about $15 in total).

I know some of this is a bit overkill for an HTPC but it was worth the added cost to me. In my case, I want to have some extra flexibility if I need to re-purpose the machine as more than an HTPC in the future. (If not, I might have went with an A6-3500, 2x2GB RAM and a 32GB SSD (Patriot Torqx2) to save about $100 - I doubt there would be much difference between the two builds when using it strictly as an HTPC.)

post #1069 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-02-03, 01:45 PM
Veteran

That looks like a very nice build. My only concern is the high TDP of the CPU but that should not be an issue unless it is driven continuously at 100% load for an extended time. The slightly slower A8-3800 would do the job for HTPC. I would also add a couple of low noise, low RPM fans in the side, near the CPU, to increase ventilation. I wouldn't go with a smaller SSD since Win7 and Win8 will need the extra space. A low profile Scythe SCSK-1100 Shuriken CPU heat sink would also be a nice addition.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #1070 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-02-06, 05:26 PM

I'll likely add a couple fans. The case has slots for up to 4 80mm fans down the right-hand side - I doubt it would need all 4 though. I had left that for the time being until I got the rest of the build ordered and put together.

The Shuriken is an interesting idea though that I hadn't really thought about. How much of an improvement would it be over the stock heat sink? Is it worth the $30-$35?
post #1071 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-02-06, 10:57 PM

for windows 7 32 gb is enough on my 60gb ssd with media portal installed i still have 48gb free.

that said i havnt seen the 32 gb ssd's for that much less then the 60 gb ones. i got the ocz vertex plus 60 gb for 39.99+shipping(9.99) after a mail in rebate (that has been accepted just waiting for it in the mail)

an aftermarket fan is a great idea. definitely can reduce the noise. i think the main one everyone recommends is the hyper 120 but i wouldnt buy it untill after you build the pc. see if you even notice the fan noise first. i personaly find the fan in my powersupply to be louder then my cpu fan lol
post #1072 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-02-06, 11:10 PM
Veteran

That's the same SSD that I have but I was having some issues with it initially as after a few days my system would crash and refuse to boot. I upgraded the firmware and all is well but with older firmware these SSDs had the tendency to have corruption issues.
post #1073 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-02-07, 01:42 AM
Veteran

All SandForce based SSDs need to be updated to the latest firmware. Newer ones should be OK but any older than a few months likely have a serious bug that causes data corruption and an eventual disk crash. I got hit with that on a Vertex 2 and it corrupted the O/S, making a restore from an older disk image necessary. That said, the Vertex Plus is Indilinx based so it won't have that particular bug. Indilinx based SSDs have their own issues though.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in