Help me Build New HTPC (Post here to discuss plans for new HTPC) - Page 70 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1036 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-01, 02:25 PM

Location: London Ontario, Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, HTPC, PS3, PS4
Thanks for all the feedback guys,
I am located in London ON.

As for the power supply I agree its way overkill but the Sugo-06 comes with that power supply so I might as well take it.

I agree that the Rodgers PVR is on the small side at 160gb size, we added a 1TB external hard drive to the mix 3 years ago (Seagate supported model from Rodgers) that worked fine for more then a year then when Rodgers updated there firmware it has not worked properly for over a year (very frustrating) I am sure people are aware of those problems here on these forums. So will it be possible to record HD shows thru this tuner to my HTPC hard drive? I thought TV tuners couldn't record Rodgers HD programming, maybe I am incorrect.

I am very interested to add a tuner in the mix now, only issue is if I need a video card later I will be stuck, since there is only 1PCI slot to play with.

Question 1- should I be fine with on board video?
Question 2- will a USB type video tuner work as well as a PCI slot one?

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1037 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-01, 02:39 PM
Veteran

To answer your questions - yes and yes. I personally believe that no one except gamers need discrete video cards. This will especially be the case for the HD4000 graphics that will be built into the Ivy Bridge Intel CPUs coming out in 3-4 months.

You can record HD video by connecting the component outputs of a Rogers box to a Hauppauge HD-PVR which is a USB capture device. The downside is that you need one cable box and one HD-PVR for each channel that you want to record simultaneously. And Win MC can only currently handle one HD-PVR at a time it you might be able to get around that using third party software.
post #1038 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-01, 04:30 PM

Location: Barrhaven (Ottawa), On. Canada. (3 blocks north of Strandherd Dr. & 2 east of Claridge Dr.)
My First HTPC

I figured it would be a good time to start getting some initial experience with my newly built unit, so I installed my HVR-2250 tuner card last night. Hooked up the HTPC to my 46" LCD....pretty awesome sight seeing Win7 boot up on it for the 1st time! Got the Hauppage drivers installed, then had to stop the process at that point. Before I go further have to get things moved around to accomodate this new piece of the Home Theater.
Need to get an internet connection to the HTPC, going with a wireless card would be easiest for now. May try bridging a second wifi router onto the network too.
Would it be best to split the coax feed before the HD-PVR, or run the coax out of the PVR into the tuner card?
Again, this is just to try to experiment with it a bit, nothing permenent.

post #1039 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 10:57 AM

Just starting to look into a HTPC in-place of my WDTV but wondering advantage of building a HTPC over just picking up something like the Asus eeeBox EB1501P with a USB tuner? Cost-wise seems okay for all that's included. Storage, I already have a NAS.
post #1040 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 11:38 AM

My HTPC (some new some old)

So i decided to make my own HTPC with some spare parts i had lying around. Still waiting for 2 parts to make it workable but hopefully will get them soon!

I gutted a reciever i had that died and fitted in all the parts and jerry rigged the power button to turn on the pc.

Heres what i got to work with

Biostar AM2 Motherboard (onboard lan not working )
Athlon x2 3600+ (stock 1.9 o/c to 2.2)
1 GB of Ram (might make this 2 if the system doesn't run satisfactory)
Radeon 6450(on the way)
OCZ Vertex Plus 60 GB SSD(on the way)
random network card i found (doesnt work with windows 7 )

Planning to run Windows xp and Media Portal so i can use my atsc tuner card from upstairs(which has all my media on it) on the htpc. Although im having trouble getting the guide to work.

any suggestions for software?
post #1041 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 11:51 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
The downside is that you need one cable box and one HD-PVR for each channel that you want to record simultaneously.
One way around this is to use an antenna connected to an PVR-950Q to record all the local networks (you will get a much better PQ than with cable that way) and save the cable box/HD-PVR for recording programs you can't get OTA.

Quote:
And Win MC can only currently handle one HD-PVR at a time it you might be able to get around that using third party software.
Ya, that is one of the many limitations of Windows MC. You are much better off with third party software (like MythTV).

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #1042 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 12:25 PM

The PVR-950Q is designed for laptops(and even then thats alot of stuff dangling from a USB port that could get snagged). The Hauppagge dual tuner 2250-MC kit comes with a proper MCE remote and a spare backplane for short form factor.

And of course for a third party app that is win XP (and W7) compatable I go with NextPVR(free). Over the last week I set up the NEWA feature included in NextPVR to stream liveTV,recorded TV, videos, music and pics over the web to another PC(and soon my phone). Pretty smooth given my pawltry upload speed(256). If anybody would like to try a stream from me, PM me and maybe I can set up time window all that is needed on your end is a browser and VLC media player.

@roger- the one feature I'd like to see in NextPVR is web page streaming (it is being worked on). I did want to try MythTV but didn't want to get familiar with Linux and I found the windows builds incomprehensible, but thats my own problem of laziness.

@redzone- I don't see a hard drive. if you plan on keeping a library 1TB or greater.

Srvr:ASUSF1A75-VPro,RadHD6000,A6-3670K,WD2TB,W7Ult
NPVR,5.1,2xHaup2250MC,ATI650,CM7777,WGHD8800,5clts
post #1043 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 12:28 PM
Rookie

Smile New to HTPC ; Thanks for your advices

Hello all and great forum here,

I'm in the process of doing my HTPC. Here is what I'm looking at :

Case : HTPC-6000B
Case LCD : nMediaPC Pro-LCD
Mother Board : ASUS F1A75-V PRO
CPU : AMD APU A8-3870 100W
Power Supply : OCZ ModX Stream Pro 700W
Memory : G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 2X4GB DDR3-1866
Hard Drive : SSD 120GB ; I do not know what type to choose
Blu Ray Drive : LG BH12LS38
Remote : MediaGate Win7
PVR HD : Hauppauge Colossus

I've read than AMD APU is doing great CPU for video that does not need an external gpu. So I'm pretty confident with this choice.

The motherboard, power supply, memory and remote, I'm really not sure what to get.

I chose a case with enough room, cool design, silent. Will it fit well my components? Am I going to need extra hardwares to install everything?

I would like to try a SSD drive. Is it worth the price? I'm going to use my NAS for media storage.

About hauppauge Colossus, I might go for it if it goes well with BELL PVR 9242recordings.

All your advices are more than welcome!

Thank you very much guys,

Cool77
post #1044 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 12:48 PM

my main pc holds all data (roughly 1.5 TB)
post #1045 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 02:29 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAJuncqui View Post
The PVR-950Q is designed for laptops(and even then thats alot of stuff dangling from a USB port that could get snagged). The Hauppagge dual tuner 2250-MC kit comes with a proper MCE remote and a spare backplane for short form factor.
While you are right and it is designed for laptop use, it has one of the best ATSC tuners on the market for receiving difficult stations, far superior to the 2250 (I have never had a problem with it getting snagged, but YMMV).

If you aren't using Media Centre, it doesn't matter if it is an MCE remote. Besides the problem with the Hauppagge remotes is they won't power on your PC, so you are better off with a dedicated USB remote dongle.

Quote:
I did want to try MythTV but didn't want to get familiar with Linux and I found the windows builds incomprehensible, but thats my own problem of laziness.
My preference is to stay away from Micro$oft for my HTPC, but that is just me.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #1046 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 02:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
One way around this is to use an antenna connected to an PVR-950Q to record all the local networks (you will get a much better PQ than with cable that way) and save the cable box/HD-PVR for recording programs you can't get OTA.
The problem is that wozman is from London which is not a great place for OTA.

I do exactly this on my SageTV based HTPC - I have two HD-PVRs, a dual tuner HDHR, and a Hauppauge 1850 card with two tuners - one connected to an SD cable box and the other tuner is my third OTA tuner. I pretty much never even use two OTA tuners - except for right now as I am recording the winter classic from both NBC and CBC.
post #1047 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 02:58 PM
Veteran

^^^I agree that it isn't as good as Toronto , but it isn't bad (CTV, CTV2, CITY, OMNI1&2, CTS and CHCH all in HD should be receivable and maybe even Global. CBC is in SD though).

I regularly use two OTA tuners and occasionally wish I had a third (though I don't have cable), so YMMV.

post #1048 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 03:05 PM
Veteran

Arrow Small, low cost, low power HTPC

Here is my latest build. The design goals were as stated in the title. Blu-ray support is desired but not critical as it will be used mainly as a music jukebox. It will be configured as a dedicate XMBC client.

IN WIN BQ656.AD80TBL Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 80W Power Supply
- Not the most elegant or smallest case but has a low price point and internal power supply.

Zotac IONITX-K-E Mini-ITX Atom N330 MCP7A-ION DDR3 PCI-E1 SATA GBLAN Audio Video Motherboard
- Not my first choice of MB but it's on sale for 1/2 price and that sets it apart from others with similar features. It's Blu-ray and HDCP capable

Corsair Force Series CSSD-F60GB2-BRKT-A 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- Probably the best available SSD for under $100. It may be replaced with a 500GB notebook drive or larger SSD if local music storage is desired.

LG Slim DVD Writer - Internal SATA Model GT40N
- Chosen for availability and cost. Blu-ray would be nicer but still a bit pricey, especially in slim drives. An optical drive is not an absolute requirement but will be handy for setup and playing CDs or DVDs.

Kingston KVR1066D3S8N7K2/4G 4GB Kit 2X2GB 1066MHZ DDR3 240PIN DIMM Unbuff CL7 1.5V Gold
- Availability and cost were the main factors again. DDR3-1066 is getting scarce. Faster RAM is available but the MB only supports DDR3-1066.

EDIMAX EW-7811Un USB 2.0 Wireless nano Adapter
- Chosen for decent reviews, price and size. A MB with LAN would have been nice but much more expensive.

Additional items:
Generic MCE remote - On hand. One of several under $10 remotes I purchased from eBay.

USB Keyboard and mouse - On hand but will not be used after setup
XMBC Media Center Software - Free. Works well with generic MCE remote.
Operating system - To be evaluated. The main choices are Windows 7, Geexbox (dedicated XBMC distro) and Ubuntu 11.10.

The total came to under $380 with shipping and tax included.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #1049 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 03:48 PM

"If you aren't using Media Centre, it doesn't matter if it is an MCE remote"

I don't think Redzone mentioned any thing about running Linux so I assume he'd like to keep his options open regarding WMC and other 3rd party MC apps are compatible with MCE remotes.

"Besides the problem with the Hauppagge remotes is they won't power on your PC, so you are better off with a dedicated USB remote dongle."

I use EventGhost and it is mapped to control npvr,vlc,firefox as well as log off and shutdown. I can even give mouse scrolling and clicking commands.

"it has ONE of the best tuners"
by your opinion or based on reports?.

The pvr-950Q is a fine tuner and is designed to be set up quickly in a remote location much like an external hard drive or any other USB ancilliary. But if there is slot open in the box aren't you better off with a tuner card securly mounted(with a screw) and at most one coax(tv), one coax(FM) and the IR reciever and Blaster?
I said "proper MCE remote" mainly because the remote supplied with the 2250 looks and feels like a common TV remote(and takes two rechargable AA batts) unlike the one that comes with the 950.

And lets not forget the 2250 is a Dual Tuner.

Each of these products is designed to different specifications and applications and as such are not suitable for comparison to determine hirearchy. In chosing which one to purchase review the features and accessories of each and how they suit your intended use.

I do not own a PVR-950Q but I am sceptical if such a small device was designed for use 16hrs/day 7 days/wk which is what is asked of my TV.
I do own an ATI650 (since Aug/09) and of course the Haup2250(Dec/10)
The workload is somewhat divided but the two cards work fine.

Srvr:ASUSF1A75-VPro,RadHD6000,A6-3670K,WD2TB,W7Ult
NPVR,5.1,2xHaup2250MC,ATI650,CM7777,WGHD8800,5clts
post #1050 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 04:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAJuncqui View Post
I use EventGhost and it is mapped to control npvr,vlc,firefox as well as log off and shutdown. I can even give mouse scrolling and clicking commands.
Does it let you power up the PC when it is OFF? Some how doubt if software can do that.

Quote:
"it has ONE of the best tuners"
by your opinion or based on reports?.
Based on user reviews of multiple readers of this forum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in