Help me Build New HTPC (Post here to discuss plans for new HTPC) - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 04:54 PM

There's much debate on that topic because since it's a subjective assessment.

Some people like lots of post-processing while others do not. In general though, the upconversion with an HTPC is very good. Whether it's "better" is in the eye of the beholder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

Some people like lots of post-processing while others do not. In general though, the upconversion with an HTPC is very good. Whether it's "better" is in the eye of the beholder.
I personally like things like detail enhancement and noise reduction. It's even better when the deinterlacing is great, with the motion adaptative thingy and all.

Is HTPC is for me? (I want to record OTA HD and watch upconverted DVD)
post #78 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 05:50 PM

If you're talking about recording OTA, then it's definitely a good idea.

As far as the others you should look at either ffdshow if you want to do it all in S/W or depending on your video card there are options in the drivers to allow the card to do it.

I'm more of a minimalist, so I have all that stuff disabled.

post #79 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 06:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent
One thing that is good about having massive amounts of video enhancement/post processing in an HTPC is if your TV is not up to the task. Admittedly, there are TVs that are likely better to be left to handling the video scaling and such themselves but for the rest of the world that can't afford a top of the line TV, the HTPC makes up for any shortcomings of their TVs (At least those that can be fixed).
post #80 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2008-02-02, 01:16 PM
Rookie

Recent Build

User Siboo was looking for details of a recent build for a Samsung 4661 ... this can get the conversation going on pros / cons:

Coolermaster Elite 340 case
ASUS P5E-VM HDMI
Intel 4600 2.4 Core 2 Duo
2G PC6400 RAM
Western Digital 500G HD
Corsair VX450W PSU
LG Blu-Ray / HD DVD Combo
Windows Vista Ultimate

Focus: 1) smooth 1080p 2) quiet 3) price

Nice surprises

- Samsung LN-T4661F nice black levels / direct input selection with Logitech remotes / autosense 1920x1080 with Asus P5E-VM via HDMI

- Was prepared to upgrade the processor if necessary but the 4600 seems fine

- Latest freeware codecs for Vista provide great x.264 / .AVI / DVD-R playback

Lessons Learned

- Not really usable from a PC perspective for long periods of time ... just awkward not sitting at a desk ... purchased the Logitech Dinovo edge ... a good cordless mouse or Media Centre remote would be better

Comments?

S2x

Last edited by smith2x; 2008-02-02 at 01:28 PM.
post #81 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2008-02-02, 04:42 PM
Rookie

HDMI Motherboard for HTPC System

Hello all

I am looking for a motherboard for a new HTPC system (micro ATX pref.).

I came accross two Asus and a Biostar:

P5E-VM HDMI - http://ca.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=...12&modelmenu=1

S/PDIF-out and HDMI interface

M2N-VM HDMI - http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...44&modelmenu=1

HDMI interface

Biostar TA690G-AM2

HDMI interface

I would like to connect the HTPC to a HDMI Receiver. Do I need a S/PDIF-out so I can get a digital audio source or does the audio goes via HDMI? To the M2N-VM HDMI' owner, what do you do as audio is concern? Add-on sound card?

Does onboard video an issue? Should I get a video card instead?

Thanks for you help/input.
post #82 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2008-02-03, 06:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifster
I am looking for a motherboard for a new HTPC system (micro ATX pref.).
I would look at the following board from Gigabyte if you are looking at using AMD. It has all its main graphics ports right on the board, including the HDMI connector.

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Mo...ProductID=2579

Quote:
Do I need a S/PDIF-out so I can get a digital audio source or does the audio goes via HDMI?
You should not but it might be possible on some boards. If you use a separate video card, this will end up being a yes. There are very few discrete video cards with HDMI AND the ability to pass audio on the HDMI.

Quote:
Does onboard video an issue? Should I get a video card instead?
This is always an interesting question. If having the highest quality looking image is a high goal, then get one. The current champ is the ATI Radeon HD 2600 series although there are the new HD 3000 series cards that are coming out and some of them are supposed to handle audio on the HDMI.

Using the onboard video on the ATI or NVidia based boards is not exactly a sacrificial move as the overall video playback will still be quite good. Where they falter is with BluRay and HD-DVD content. They will play it fine, but are not capable of the myriad of post processing tricks that the discrete cards are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith2x
Lessons Learned

- Not really usable from a PC perspective for long periods of time ... just awkward not sitting at a desk ... purchased the Logitech Dinovo edge ... a good cordless mouse or Media Centre remote would be better
Actually, this is typically what ends up being learned. HTPCs that are connected to a TV, even a large one, should still be used mostly as an HTPC. The only time that this can be avoided as an issue is if you have a LARGE screen like a 90+ inch projection setup. I can use mine alright but when I try to do the same thing on my smaller 32", just not practical.

As for the keyboard choice, yes, go for something more appropriate. I use the BTC series keyboards as they have a joystick mouse that avoids having to have a mousing surface when you are on your couch. And DEFINITELY get a remote. A Windows MCE remote will work with practically any software and is only about $40 with an IR reciever.
post #83 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2008-02-06, 01:15 PM
Rookie

Is this enough?

Hello,

I am trying to put together an HTPC to be able to play high-definition content: 1080p (MKV, H.264, AVCHD). Is the configuration below enough in terms of CPU, memory, etc.?

Processors (CPUs) AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core Processor AM2 2.3GHZ 2X512KB 65W 65NM Retail Box 1 $91.63

Motherboards ASUS M2A-VM HDMI mATX AM2 AMD 690G DDR2 PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI Video HDMI Sound Motherboard 1 $89.25

Memory (RAM) Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-5400C4 2GB 2X1GB PC5400 DDR2-667 CL 4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory 1 $59.99

Video Cards Diamond Viper Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB DDR2 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card 1 $119.99

Computer Cases Nmedia HTPC-600SAR Media Centre Case ATX Silver 2X5.25 1X3.5 1X3.5INT No PS W/ Vista MCE Remote 1 $119.99

Power Supplies Nmedia MP-500 500W ATX Power Supply 20/24PIN W/ 140MM Fan Retail Box 1 $54.99

Paul
post #84 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2008-02-06, 01:22 PM

Yep, that should be fine. The HD2600XT support H/W acceleration for the HD codecs so you shouldn't have any problem.

Just a side note you probably don't need that big a power supply since the stuff you have is pretty efficient. I haven't kept up with the relative silence of powersupplies but I've got a Seasonic that I have never heard and is generally highly recommended.
post #85 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2008-02-06, 01:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent
Just a side note you probably don't need that big a power supply since the stuff you have is pretty efficient.
TOTALLY agree. I have a near identical setup that is running on an Antec 380w power supply. To top it off, the total power consumption of that system has never gone past 100w when monitored with a Kill-A-Watt.
post #86 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2008-02-08, 09:29 PM
Rookie

First build

Hello everyone, Iím going to be building my first htpc, using mythtv.

What I would like is if someone can let me know if my hardware choice would be ok.
My setup now is cable and fta, and a phililps dvd player, this all goes through my Yamaha receiver. All my hookups are hdmi. And the Yamaha send the signal to my 52 inch samsung.

Iím looking to build one unit to sit beside my other components.

Case : Thermaltake VC4001SNS
Mozart Series Media - with Media Lab

Mother board : A455-2322 :: Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express, Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0 & Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID (6.4 lbs)

CPU : CP2-DUO-E4500 :: Intel Core2 Duo E4500 Processor HH80557PG0492M - 2.20GHz, 2MB Cache, 800MHz FSB, Allendale, OEM, Socket 775, Processor (0.05 lbs)

Video : A455-2614 :: Asus GeForce 7300 GT Silent Video Card - 256MB DDR2, PCI Express, SLI Ready, DVI, VGA, HTDV, Video Card (5.4 lbs)

Hard Drive : TSD-500AS5 :: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 32MB, SATA-300, OEM (5 lbs) X 2

Capture Card : Visiontek TV Wonder HD 650 HDTV Tuner - Full Remote, PCI Express (x 1), Digital/Analog Tuner, Video Capture, Hardware Acceleration, S-Video In, TV In, Audio In, FM, Personal Video Recorder

Thermaltake / ToughPower / 750-Watt / ATX / 140mm Fan / SATA Ready / SLI Ready / PFC/EPS / Power Supply (6.65 lbs)

The motherboard has 8 point sound and gigabit Ethernet.

I know this is a lot to ask from a bunch of strangers so if you have the time or would like to help out a new guy it would be much appreciated.
Worst case scenario I buy all this and it doesnít work, then off to ebay and buy something that will.

What I want is to run my FTA through here to do my recordings.

Thanks

Kev
post #87 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2008-02-15, 04:20 PM

That mobo is a bit pricey for HTPC needs. The PSU is way overkill, you won't draw anything close to 700W. Also maybe look at changing the GPU to an ATI 2600 or 3650.
post #88 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2008-02-15, 05:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackitz
Hello everyone, Iím going to be building my first htpc, using mythtv.
I know that there is a good number of folks that are happy with their Myth setups but I have become a MAJOR supporter of SageTV over any other HTPC software.

One element you need to keep in mind with Myth and the other free HTPC softwares is that there is no longer a free TV guide available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_raider
That mobo is a bit pricey for HTPC needs.
Totally agree. Unless you are going to use the system to play games, there is no sense whatsoever in getting an SLI or Crossfire capable motherboard.

Quote:
The PSU is way overkill, you won't draw anything close to 700W.
This is also very true of even medium to heavy duty gaming systems. The Pentium 4 was the biggest pusher of power demands. After that, dual vid card setups. Modern CPUs and HTPC targetted vid cards are VERY low power consumers. RAM has also seen a huge drop in power consumption.

Quote:
Also maybe look at changing the GPU to an ATI 2600 or 3650.
If he is going to stick with Linux this may not be a good idea. There is better support for NVidia in Linux.
post #89 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2008-02-16, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by que3jxp View Post
One element you need to keep in mind with Myth and the other free HTPC softwares is that there is no longer a free TV guide available.
Maybe that you know of because there still is CTPVR that offers free listing (4 days): https://www.cttvlistings.net/
post #90 of 1073 (permalink) Old 2008-02-16, 09:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceMaster
there still is CTPVR that offers free listing (4 days)
And if 4 days is not enough (I very much doubt that it is for most people), you are right back to paying for your guide info.

It should also be noted that the 4 days of free information is not complete info. It is the bare minimum to be useful.

And lastly, there is no guide info for Canada. CT TV is only offering info for US TV watchers.

Soooooo.....

As I was SAYING, there is no free solution for Myth anymore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in