Help with choosing Media Centre/Home Theatre - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 04:20 PM
Q
Veteran

I would compare prices at infonec and canadacomputer for those components. It seems high.

A few comments.

That ram is overkill IMO.
You don't need the HDMI version of that MB if you are getting a separate video card.

Not sure why you need a separate sound card when it has it onboard.

If you wait a bit longer hauppauge will be coming out with some new exciting cards which may interest you or drive down the price of the 1600.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 06:13 PM
Veteran

I also forgot to mention that the original list of components and the estimated price was from NCIX so I am really sure that you just over picked on components and have a lot of unneeded stuff.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I know I might have over picked cause I have no idea, and they did not have the exact components that you had mentioned above so I didn't know the equivalent.
Also, I need the DVD writer, because I may want to burn files and pictures from the computer to a DVD for back ups.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 08:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalm
I know I might have over picked cause I have no idea, and they did not have the exact components that you had mentioned above so I didn't know the equivalent.
No worries, that is fine. If you are unable to find things though, just ask or PM one of us if you are not sure if you should ask right in the thread. Some of us are crazy and keep tabs on all the sales at most of the major web sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalm
Also, I need the DVD writer, because I may want to burn files and pictures from the computer to a DVD for back ups.
The BluRay/HD-DVD drive is also a DVD burner.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-01-24, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

que3jxp I tried to send you a PM but I got a message that your inbox is full and that you can't accept any message until you delete some.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-01-25, 11:23 AM
Veteran

I cleaned up my box... Sorry about that.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-01-25, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I want to buy the Media Centre desktop like HP Media Centre Pavilion AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core 2.2GHz Computer (A6352F) to store all my music and videos
Prebuilt media centers tend to be poor value for the money and, HP in particular, are often not configured well. (AMD Phenom CPUs are a very poor purchase right now.) There are a several threads here on suggested HTPC (media center) configurations and software. You could build yourself or get a vendor to assemble the system.

Quote:
there is no need of an X2 4800. An X2 4000 or 4200 will be fine.
Core 2 Duo is even better, especially the new 45nm processors.

Digitalm, many of your choices are Ok (with que3jxp's changes) but the list could still be trimmed down. I would get a DVD-RW and Blu-Ray ROM or combo such as the LG LG GGC-H20L (or maybe only a DVD-RW until BD drive prices come down.) WinXP Pro or Media Center is fine for many uses but Vista is probably better for Blu-Ray playback.

As for prices, NCIX.com has sale prices on popular items every week (starting Thursday.) On checkout, they will price match any other Canadian site. Just do a search for the item on Shopbot.ca when checking out.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-01-26, 10:54 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV
Core 2 Duo is even better, especially the new 45nm processors.
And a McLaren is faster than a Lamborghini.

The point was that in the real-world use that most HTPCs get, when you have a separate video card that handles most of the decode work, just about any dual core chip will do.

When raw horsepower is needed, I swear by the C2D chips (All I buy at work now are C2D based servers) but this is not the case. If someone is going to do a LOT of transcoding, so much that it is almost always transcoding or re-encoding something, then a C2D may be needed.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-01-27, 10:06 AM

Quote:
And a McLaren is faster than a Lamborghini.
I'm not talking about speed. C2D use significantly less power than Athlon X64 for the same horsepower and the new processors have further reductions in power use for the same price and horsepower. The new C2D processors will be priced head-to-head with AMD processors in the $100-$200 range as well. Besides, a little extra horsepower never hurts, provided it doesn't come with any bad side effects, like extra heat. The new C2D delivers this while AMD processors don't.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-01-27, 06:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV
I'm not talking about speed. C2D use significantly less power than Athlon X64 for the same horsepower
Certainly true on paper...

I have no way to test it myself so I have just been a bit sceptical that there is that much to really be gained when factoring in all the other power drain in the system. The C2D may well be 25% lower in power consuption on relative performace with a X2 but that ends up being only 5-10% if you are lucky on the overall system power consumption.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-01-27, 06:48 PM

I've seen real world measurements (can't find the link right now.) The new 45nm Penryn C2Ds will reduce power consumption a further 30% (over the current 25% margin on Athlon X64s), that will make their power consumption about 1/2 that of comparable AMD chips. The processor and the video card are the two biggest power users (and heat producers) in a HTPC. Choosing them carefully and using a high efficiency power supply can reduce the total power consumption by close to 50%.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-01-27, 08:13 PM
Veteran

That is good to know on the new Penryn series. But unless onw is waiting, they are not available at low prices yet.

One thing that I am most interested in is what the "lower end" chips done on penryn will draw. Most of the time, Intel and AMD tout power savings only on their mid and high end chips and there is little gained at the entry level. The entry level chips being what most should typically bother with on an HTPC build.

At the moment, the low end for both AMD and Intel are tied for power consumption and AMD has the advantage on price by 50%

Otherwise, I totally agree with you. Use the least power hungry chip that fits both your budget and the use of the machine you are building.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in