Question about my HTPC set-up. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question about my HTPC set-up.

I recently bought the LG HD DVD/Blu Ray combo drive and a Samsung LNT4061F to use it with. It is connected up as you would expect, DVI-D(PC)-->HDMI(TV) and everything seems to work as you would expect.

My question is whether this set up gives me the equivalent picture quality to that of a standalone HD DVD or Blu Ray player? I am losing anything in playing HD discs through my PC?

Also, I am still entitled to return the TV as it is within 30days, would the higher priced 120hz Samsung be more beneficial for HD playback?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 11:09 PM
Member #1

I have not seen any comparisions between playback from an HTPC drive vs. standalone but my gut says the pq will be pretty similar.

More convenient having a standalone player.

Personally, I'd take the LCD back and get a plasma but thats a different thread. Please see the HDTV and LCD for discussions on televisions.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will research the LCD v Plasma debate. A quick question though. Would Plasma be a good choice for a HTPC?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 11:43 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Would Plasma be a good choice for a HTPC?
Probably not. You should be happy with your 4061, once properly set up. See the following post, useful for newbies to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Would Plasma be a good choice for a HTPC?
I have a plasama connected to my HTPC, so I would have to say yes.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 09:19 AM

I would also add that Plasma would be good for HTPCs. A number of good quality Plasmas offer a burn-in prevention feature that slightly shifts the picture from time to time for a split second. I've been told that this is enough to prevent burn-in. I won't turn this into a huge Plasma vs. LCD debate but I will say that I would only purchase LCD in a situation where I'm looking for a screen in a size where plasma is not offered. (ie. buying a small screen for a secondary room in the house you may find that Plasma screens don't come in the size you need, they only come in larger sizes).

Panasonic 65ZT60 | Pioneer Elite PRO-730HD | Marantz SR8200 | Elite DV-59AVi | Mirage OM series | Custom HTPC
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for your input guys. I am leaning towards taking my Samsung back and getting the Panasonic TH-42PZ77.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 08:10 PM
Veteran

Your HTPC is only outdone by the PS3 and maybe the new OPPO player that is coming out.

However, unless you are running an ATI HD2600 or an NVidia GeForce 8600, your HTPC is letting you down.

In the end, however, with all of the firmware and driver updates available for set top units and HTPC video cards, the target is always moving. The best thing you could do to see how your setup is performing on an image quality level is to order the HQV HD-DVD or BluRay benchmark disc:

http://www.hqv.com/benchmark.cfm
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I have an 8800 GTS 640mb so it doesn't have the Nvidia PureVideo HD technology, but I have no issues with HD DVD/Blu Ray playback, at least no stuttering issues.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-18, 06:59 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChancer
at least no stuttering issues.
And you won't with that card. However, as you noted, that card does not support PV HD so you are missing out on a lot of image post processing that could otherwise make your system an even more impressive HD-DVD/BD Player.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-18, 10:25 AM

There's a good article on Tom's Hardware regarding this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/...deo/page9.html

Mitsubishi HC1500 projector, 3 FibreOp 2.0 HDTV receivers, Draper 120 inch screen, HD Media PC i7 920, ATI 4800 Radeon.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-18, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Interesting article. Right now the only HD content I am using is HD DVD/Blu-Ray discs so I assume I'm not losing much in image quality with no post-processing. I hope that is a fair assumption?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-18, 03:31 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChancer
I hope that is a fair assumption?
Unfortunately, no.

Those tests at THG were done in a best case scenario that demonstrates BluRay and HD-DVD playback which is exactly what you are doing.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-19, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

So will the all the newest Nvidia cards incorporate this technology?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-19, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by que3jxp View Post
And you won't with that card. However, as you noted, that card does not support PV HD so you are missing out on a lot of image post processing that could otherwise make your system an even more impressive HD-DVD/BD Player.
What kind of post processing would one need for a 1080p source displayed at its native rez?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in