Question about my HTPC set-up. - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-19, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by que3jxp View Post
And you won't with that card. However, as you noted, that card does not support PV HD so you are missing out on a lot of image post processing that could otherwise make your system an even more impressive HD-DVD/BD Player.
What kind of post processing would one need for a 1080p source displayed at its native rez? Just curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-19, 02:09 PM

The processing in the GPU for HD-DVD and BluRay is not really post-processing. It is H/W acceleration of the decoding that it required. VC-1, AVC, h.264, etc are all very compute intensive for both encoding and decoding.

Once you have an actual 1080p frame the GPU can very easily scale it, sharpen it, etc. Those functions are all hardcoded into the video pipeline.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-19, 05:32 PM
Veteran

To follow on from jvincent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent
The processing in the GPU for HD-DVD and BluRay is not really post-processing.
Well, actually, it is. Shortcomings in the hardware/drivers show up as artifacts, noise, tearing and lack of sharpness. All of these things count as post processing and due to the fact that there is no guarantee that the disc contains the best video rendering (As a lot of BluRay discs were found to be), it is best to have as much horsepower AND as many tricks up the sleve as possible.

As a further backup statement, just look at the fact that the NVidia cards were failing post processing and deinterlacing tests in the Toms review (And in many other reviews.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by testikoff
...for a 1080p source displayed at its native rez?
Resolution is only the first step. You can record crap in 1080p and it will just be higher resolution crap. The more tricks in your bag allows for as much opportunity to make up for possible shoirtcomings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChancer
So will the all the newest Nvidia cards incorporate this technology?
The 8500/8600 series and the 8800GT SPECIFICALLY are the NVidia cards that support all of the PV HD features and decoding accelleration.

As a note, all of the ATI HD 2xxx cards support the AVIVO features and accelleration. The trick on the ATI side is that the most you need for HDM content (Or any HD content for that matter) is the HD 2600 XT. The 2900 is overkill and does not actually get any appreciable increase over the 2600.

The really interesting wildcard is the new ATI 3000 series cards. The first two 3000 series cards do really well for HD content from TV or Disc.

TopChancer

My suggestion is that if you are looking at maintaining a gaming PC, that you move the 7900 over there and just get a Radeon HD 2600 XT. They are the current reigning champion of decoding accelleration and post processing and they are quite inexpensive to boot.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-19, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I actually have a 8800 gts 640mb, not a 7900. I don't really want to get a card that will give me lower gaming performance. I only have one PC and don't intend to get another.

So I guess then standalone players can deliver a better picture?
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-19, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Shortcomings in the hardware/drivers show up as artifacts, noise, tearing and lack of sharpness.
True, I did leave out driver issues.

But I think the original question was with regards to the H/W acceleration required for decoding and playback, which is the really intensive part. Everything else is comparitively easy. And yet they still manage to mess it up.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 2008-01-19, 07:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I actually have a 8800 gts 640mb, not a 7900.
Oops. I knew that but typed 7900. Same deal though. The GTS series were out before the GT with the full PV HD support.

Quote:
I don't really want to get a card that will give me lower gaming performance.
You could always get a superclocked edition of an 8800 GT. There should not be a big hit on performance in games and you would then have full PV HD support.

Quote:
I only have one PC and don't intend to get another.
Cool. But I bet that you will change your mind as time goes on. I did. The lure of a dedicated PC for media playback is very high once you start doing it part time.

Quote:
So I guess then standalone players can deliver a better picture?
Only if you spend a fair bit of money or if you are very careful about the one that you buy. The big thing you need to remember is that your PC can currently play both media types. The only standalone players out there that play both are very expensive and not necessarily better on their outputs than your current video card.

As I said earlier, the best choice for dedicated BluRay is the PS3. At least on video quality.

Quote:
But I think the original question was with regards to the H/W acceleration required for decoding and playback
Actually...

Quote:
My question is whether this set up gives me the equivalent picture quality to that of a standalone HD DVD or Blu Ray player? I am losing anything in playing HD discs through my PC?
To which, yes, an AVIVO card from ATI or a PV HD card from NVidia is needed to get the best possible playback in regards to total visual quality.

Quote:
Everything else is comparitively easy. And yet they still manage to mess it up.
LOL!!!

That really did make me "laugh out loud" the second I read that!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in