Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Slimserver + PC but without Squeezebox (for now)

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sansp00 
#1 ·
I plan on a Squeezebox purchase in a few months , but for now, I plan to setup a spare networked PC which will have :

- network and /or local access to music media.
- an LCD display
- wireless keybaord
- hidden system box
- digital connection to the AVR system in that room.
- no Squeezebox

I know I can use any music manager ( ie ITunes or Media Monkey) to control music access and playback, and dont need SlimServer at all, but my question is this:

Can I still download slimserver ( now called Squeeze Centre - I assume its still free), along with numrous plugins, and have enhanced functionality on the screen, ie news, weather, call display, music screen saver etc???

Also, does anyone have screenshots of what the above looks like on a PC??

#2 ·
Why not? Frankly I found the User Interface on the SlimServer to be pretty weak so, unless you were serving up to a Squeezebox, I can't see why you would bother

#3 ·
AFAIK, a PC running the Slim emulator should act like a Slim :)
I used that in the past in conjunction with the Roku Slim emulation and it did work properly (about 1~2 years ago), now, I don't know.
One thing I do hope if it's still free and what not, is that it's faster, cause it was slow as hell on my NAS.

Patrick S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.