PC DVR. Need EPG Option - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-01-13, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

PC DVR. Need EPG Option

I want to build a PC-based DVR with electronic program guide (EPG) that has Starchoice.

Beyond TV and Sage TV are expesnive ($100) and have a worrying warning that "they may stop providing free EPG at any time". I would hate to spend that money only to have them move to TiVo business model.

Meedio is no longer an option and the Yahoo version only support US customers so no Starchoice EPG Option.

MythTV is good but Linux-based and I know nothing about Linux. I would have to figure out how to get OS on PC, get right drivers, etc etc and then have to figure out how to get the EPG via XMLTV. Without a serious set of how-to for Linux newbie, it seems daunting.

So.....My question, what are people using out there for PC-based DVR with EPG for WindowsXP environment that is Starchoice EPG? (and not $100)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-01-13, 10:32 AM

If the PC is to be only used for media and no Windows tasks, KnoppMyth may be an option. It's a Linux install with MythTV built in. It installs pretty well on it's own from a burnt disc. Also, you could make a dual boot system with Windows and KnoppMyth. I think the correct order would be to install Windows first. KnoppMyth will then recognize Windows and offer the option of a dual boot system.

Here's a primer: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/

Good Luck,
Congo

Panny TC-P60GT50, Vizio SB3651-E6 Soundbar, Harmony One, Android Box
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-01-14, 09:17 AM
fmr

There is no more need for xmltv on linux/mythtv. I personnally installed MythUbuntu after trying KnoppMyth.
All the EPG info comes from Schedules Direct. It costs $20 a year to get data (up to 4 different lineups, like OTA, SC, cable,...).
Since I would be surprised that you don't have to pay for a software upgrade with one of those commercial DVR software within 5 years, I think MythUbuntu/SchedulesDirect is cheaper, and you'll get 11 Ubuntu Linux updates (for free) within that time frame.

It seems they (SD) provide data to a few PC apps. Take a look there.
http://www.schedulesdirect.org/approvedsoftware

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-01-14, 09:39 AM

Take a look at MediaPortal. It's open source and I use it as my HTPC front end. I haven't used it's TV EPG because I have BeyondTV, but you might want to give it a try.

Another free application worth taking a look at is GBPVR. I haven't any experience with it, but have heard good things.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-01-14, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Johnny. I had seen GBPRV and Mediaportal when doing some searching so appreciate your thoughts on those. I assume they both work with schedulesdirect (and SD seems a better option than messing with XMLTV.

Anyone have experience/thoughts on these two Windows options?

Note: I want to start with a "shared" PC meaning it is still used for other household tasks. I may convert and old P3-1GHz for dedicated solution later.

Last edited by chemie2; 2008-01-14 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 11:50 AM
asd

Chemie2, I also urge you to look at Mythbuntu 7.10. Scheduledirect is $20/yr and installs effortlessly as you configure MythTV. The improvements in each verson of Myth on Ubuntu are exponential. As fmr says, you get constant updates and great support on the Mythbuntu forums.

Drivers used to be an issue for wireless networking and some TV tuners but the latest verson, 7.10 has resolved many driver problems. My daughter managed to get the previous version up and running beautifully last summer on an ancient PC by herself. Windows requires more horsepower than Linux to produce barely equal results. Aesthetically, though subjective, I find the latest Mythbuntu skins as pleasing as the MCE one. Moreover, you'll avoid the Microsolft DRM issues. Streaming is very flexible too. You can put the install CD into an older notebook, for instance, and run it as a frontend just from the CD.

I would check out the recommended TV tuners, though. An ubiquitous Hauppauge pvr150 is a painless install but the HVR 1600 isn't yet supported.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Take a look at MediaPortal. It's open source and I use it as my HTPC front end. I haven't used it's TV EPG because I have BeyondTV, but you might want to give it a try.

Another free application worth taking a look at is GBPVR. I haven't any experience with it, but have heard good things.
Lsat I know, the EPG support (zap2it) on GBPVR is long gone..

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 04:09 PM

GB-PVR is a good program. I've used it since the summer. It's free but not open source. It's got a good community with a friendly forum that can answer any questions you may have.

GB-PVR does support scheduledirect though I just use a program that grabs the data from tvlistings.zap2it.com to create an XMLTV file.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 08:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemie2
Beyond TV and Sage TV are expesnive ($100) and have a worrying warning that "they may stop providing free EPG at any time".
Cost is a relative thing when you need support or are looking for a well polished solution, of which SageTV is undeniably very polished.

As for either changing to a TiVo model, they both have been around for a long time and they still have not changed. They both (And so does MCE) get their info from Zap2it and as such, they are not in direct control of the guide data.

Just look at the fact that the previously free guide data for all of the free HTPC softwares are now no longer free so if you are trying to avoid guide costs, you actuyally DO have to go with BTV or Sage.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-01-31, 01:57 PM
Rookie

IR Blaster

Just a note to you that with a Starchoice receiver you'll have to configure an IR blaster so that your computer can change the channels on your receiver. Either that or change them manually on the receiver every time you want to change channels on the Computer setup, rendering it pretty much useless. Just thought I'd throw that out there. IR Blasters are a pain, I'm in the middle of it right now.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-02-01, 09:27 AM
Veteran

On IR blasters...

Your best friends are a flashlight and black tape.

The flashlight is for shining onto the translucent housing of the STB so that you can be sure that you are putting the IR blaster bud RIGHT over the receiving sensor.

The tape is so you can cover the blaster bud and the translucent housing so that there is no IR leakage if you have more than one of the same kind of STB in your setup.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-02-01, 03:29 PM

Location: Ottawa (Barrhaven)Toshiba 37HL57 LCD , SA8300HD, Rogers, Homemade HTPC running GBPVR/Hauppage 150
GBPVR (free)and Schedules Direct ($20/year) work perfectly together and I have tried all the PC PVR software paid and free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in