SlingCatcher - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-01-09, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

SlingCatcher

This week at CES, Sling Media demonstrated the SlingCatcher publicly for the first time.

The SlingCatcher is a set-top box that delivers broadcast TV, Internet-based content and personal media to your TV. The SlingCatcher acts as a repository for content and is able to pull video from multiple sources including a SlingBox, a USB hard drive or your computer.

SlingCatcher is bundled with three built-in applications: SlingPlayer for TV, SlingSync and SlingProjector.

SlingCatcher will be available in the second quarter for a retail price of $249.99 U.S. No word on Canadian pricing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-01-09, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

about the applications:

SlingPlayer for TV delivers one of the most requested Slingbox customer features: the ability to “sling” programming to another TV in the home or to a TV in a remote location without a PC by connecting to and streaming from the Slingbox on a LAN or WAN. In addition, when combined with the forthcoming Slingbox PRO-HD, SlingCatcher will give customers the ability to stream in HD from one TV to another.

SlingProjector enables consumers to project to the TV Internet and PC-based digital audio/video content—whether downloaded movies, TV shows, home movies, photo slideshows or YouTube videos—from a PC to TV-screen for a “lean back” viewing experience. SlingProjector supports most video streaming web sites, media players and Internet video players.

Finally, SlingSync gives customers the ability to sync files over their network connection and store them on a third-party USB flash drive or other portable hard drive attached to the SlingCatcher, giving them the ability to use the SlingCatcher to replay their favorite content on demand and manage content from a PC via the SlingCatcher user interface.

The SlingCatcher includes both standard definition and high definition AV outputs to connect to a TV including HDMI, component, S-Video and composite video, as well as analog and digital audio. In regards to network connectivity, the SlingCatcher features a standard Ethernet jack to connect to the home network either directly or via SlingLink powerline Ethernet adapters. In addition, Sling Media will sell a wireless USB adapter called SlingLink Wireless for $49.99, which can also be used to create the network connection.

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 05:51 AM

OMG Its finally here. Been waiting a year for this device. But still gotta wait til the 2nd quarter for its arrival.

djino
"Can't wait!"

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

I saw this last year when I met with SlingMedia. Very small and lots of potential.

It'll be interesting though to see how this fares in an environment where lots of new competing products like Archos TV+ are being announced.

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 01:01 PM

But the Archos unit cannot placeshift TV sources (DVD, Satellite, Cable Box) to another TV, can it?
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

No it cannot. I just meant that there is a wealth of "media extenders" and other devices hitting the marketplace this year so their are lots of competing devices with overlapping features and some with features not found in the Slingcatcher

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 01:13 PM

Why has there been so much delay with this product after slingmedia announced its coming January '07?

djino
"I wanna buy it now!!!"
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 09:19 AM

This is mainly going to please those who stream TV from a different city or country. I personally have slingboxes in France and can't wait to use this on my TVs at home.

Slingmedia better not dissapoint with the Q2 release date. This has been delayed far too many times!
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-02-16, 10:29 AM

Slingcather remote

The slingcatcher is often pictured with the remote. Is this remote an integral part of the slingcatcher.

I was one of the original early adopters of the slingbox (version 1.a.a.a), and haven not really revisited this since watching the Soccer World Cup in the office at work, what seems like an age ago.

Can you get a Sling remote without getting a slingcatcher ? Does it work with the original slingbox ?

Thanks,
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-02-16, 11:59 AM
Veteran

The original sling box doesn't use a remote, in the physical sense. You use a virtual remote on the screen of your computer you use to receive from the SLingbox.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-02-16, 05:09 PM

So, do any of the subsequent Sling's have remotes ?
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-02-17, 04:15 PM

Slingbox au verso

I recall the first time I saw a Slingbox on sale and asked what it could do. My response was that I didn't want to watch video on my PC monitor, but on my TV. This device did the opposite of what I wanted.

Now comes the Slingcatcher, a device which appears to do what I wanted: Namely send video from my PC to my TV.

So I went to their home page and read the Specifications of the Slingcatcher.

And I compared them with the TviX 4100, a device which can be configured with an internal 500-Gig HDD (or you can attach an external HDD via USB).

And the Slingcatcher comes up short, although it is priced less. However, the TviX 4100 is available now. Simply put, the TviX plays everything, even boasting an Internet Radio feature. More obscure audio formats like OGG, FLAC, etc. Video formats like MKV, WMV HD, AVCHD, etc. Video resolution up to 1920 X 1080p. It even supports the old FTP (File Transfer Protocol) connectivity (as opposed to HTTP).

The main chip of the TviX is the Sigma Design EM8632. I do not see what chip the Slingcatcher is using in its specifications. I believe that the efficacy of these devices is directly related to the chip used.

Of course, these devices have Updating features to allow for decoding of new formats as they become available.

I cannot find the TviX anywhere in Canada and will have to pick one up in the USA, or else determine if they will send it to Canada.

I do not know if there are other devices which play everything???
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-02-18, 07:58 AM

Every Monday morning, when everyone is feeling down at The Office, I get everyone into the boardroom, my receptionist brings in the popcorn and we watch 30 minutes of something soppy I recorded at home on my PVR, on the projector.

I really hope that my Regional Manager does not come in and catch us though !!

I will check out this device, thanks for the reply. I still wonder about the remote business though.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-02-18, 10:17 AM
Veteran

None of the Sling "transmitters" have viewer end real remotes, to my knowlege. It is all virtual onscreen.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 2008-02-18, 03:20 PM

thanks classicsat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in