HTPC Hardware Suitable for Playing BR/HD-DVD? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-01-25, 12:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualrain
What's the opinion here?
Well, the HD 2400 was able to do 1080p from HD-DVD/BluRay, so there is no reason to expect that the HD 3450 will not.

Last edited by que3jxp; 2008-01-25 at 12:22 PM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-01-27, 09:25 PM
Moi

Home theatre Fiasco

Hi:

Looking for any assitance\suggestions as to how to correct problems with my HTPC. I think my problem is HDCP related but cant find any assitance, or
rather, constructive assitance from hardware\software vendors from which I've made purchases.

The hardware:

Intel dual core 3 gig
Intel D946GZIS Motherboard
4 gig ram (effectivly 3 gig thanks to Billy)
2 HD, one IDE one Sata
1 Lg super multi drive IDE
1 Lg Hd/Blueray multi drive sata
BFG 8800ultra video card PCIe
Auzen X-fi Prelude sound card PCI
Acer P243w Monitor

The software

Vista 32bit Home premium (now you know where the other gig of ram went...)
Varioius expected programs and games (should not be relevant to problem).
Cyberlink HD\DVD advisor (tried others but Cyberlink is supposed to be
the best available now)

Run cyberlink advisor and get reds on (reds are bad by the way) vdieocard drivers and monitor.

Latest drivers for card installed, monitor is one of a handfull of computer monitors on the market capable of HD\HDCP.

The above leaves only the HDCP problem. Video card outputs hdcp via
DVI connector. (Card has 2 DVI and 1 S video interface) Monitor accepts and comunicates HDCP compliance via HDMI port. The boys aren't working and playing well together..... Tried DVI to HDMI cable, no joy, tried DVI to DVI ,
another egg....

Anyway, thats my story....sad as it may be. Normal dvd's play fine. HD DVDs
just spin in the drive and make whirring noises. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm thinking of re-installing vista but that doesn't make sense.

If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate hearing them. Also if anyone is aware of or is a PC Home theater techie in Ottawa, I'd consider a hired gun.
In fact I checked with Future shops version of Nerds on Wheels..... scarey.

Thanks for the time and space....
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-01-27, 09:35 PM

Welcome Moi. First suggestion, update your User CP to include your location, it will help with other requests.

As to your HDCP problem. I'm a little surprised that it flags your card/drivers as non-compliant. Is that one of the older cards that was "HDCP compatible" but not "compliant".

Perhaps your easiest solution would be to try installing AnyDVD-HD to get around the HDCP requirement. It's available as a free trial so I'd give that a shot first.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-02-16, 02:25 PM
Moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
Welcome Moi. First suggestion, update your User CP to include your location, it will help with other requests.

As to your HDCP problem. I'm a little surprised that it flags your card/drivers as non-compliant. Is that one of the older cards that was "HDCP compatible" but not "compliant".

Perhaps your easiest solution would be to try installing AnyDVD-HD to get around the HDCP requirement. It's available as a free trial so I'd give that a shot first.
Hi Mr. Mod..

Thanks for the suggestion, I actually found that program and yes it works fine. I'm
at the end of my trial period soon and will probably purchase it. The term used for the card was HDCP Capable...whatever that means. I tried to do this the "legal way" but got
kicked in the southern hemispere for my troubles.

From what I can tell from my adventure in HDCP, you have to be very careful re connectors from vid card to monitor as one passes hdcp on one format/connector (dvi) the other expects hdcp via hdmi and a cable with both connectors does not cut it.

Anyway thanks for your suggestion, it works fine....defeats the purpose of HDCP,
but at least I get to use the hardware to its potential.

Have a good day
Ed

PS updated my profile as per your suggestion...

Thanks again...
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-02-16, 03:53 PM

Quote:
The term used for the card was HDCP Capable...whatever that means.
There was a lot of discussion on this topic about a year or so ago. Most video cards until recently were capable of supporting HDCP but the majority did not have the EEPROM installed that was required to actually implement it.

The HTPC community in particular was rather upset about this.

Glad you found a solution that works for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in