HTPC Media browsing software - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-07, 06:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceMaster View Post
Regarding Vista, I haven't had the chance to mess around with it. At this time, everything I need, WinXP can do it. My only real motivation to go with Vista in the future will be 64bit support that allows more than 3-4GB of RAM. Hopefully, when I make the switch, Vista64 will have resolved most of its issues regarding driver/software.
Thanks for the info - how long have you been able to do this in BTV? I haven't really played around with this for about a year and I am pretty sure that you could not do this back then - at least no one on their forums could help me.

The other advantage of Vista is that the UI is very pretty - when you are in the guide you can see the TV screen in semi-transparent mode behind the guide which is pretty cool. The rest of the UI is also very nice although slightly

Like it or not we will all be moving to Vista eventually and the advantage is that it includes Media Center "for free" - and Vista HP OEM is currently the same price or cheaper than XP MCE or XP Pro OEM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-07, 09:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceMaster
From testing last fall, the main issue I had with SageTV was the way it would handle the pre/post padding.
When you say last fall, do you mean 2006? I ask because there was a MAJOR improvement from SageTV 5 to 6. It is the ONLY reason that I reconsidered it and gave it a try.

Previous to v6, XP MCE and BTV were better solutions.

SageTV v6 with the MCE skin pack sets SageTV so far ahead of everyone else that it is not funny. The HD extender is just the icing on the cake.

Quote:
If it would always remove the padding regardless of favourites/manuals and same/different channels,
If you have not looked at v6, it may have been fixed. I do recall seeing settings in there for this but I don't understand their benefit so I leave it at the default.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-07, 09:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by que3jxp View Post
SageTV v6 with the MCE skin pack sets SageTV so far ahead of everyone else that it is not funny. The HD extender is just the icing on the cake.
What makes it so much better than MCE? (That is assuming MS does actually fix the CGMS-A recording issue)

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-07, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Thanks for the info - how long have you been able to do this in BTV? I haven't really played around with this for about a year and I am pretty sure that you could not do this back then - at least no one on their forums could help me.
Summer of 2007. You *really* need to know what to look for as the page (http://www.snapstream.net/configure/...eupWizard.aspx) does not seem to be linked ANYWHERE without the UI or SnapStream.net (or at least, it wasnt when I was looking for it).

Quote:
When you say last fall, do you mean 2006? I ask because there was a MAJOR improvement from SageTV 5 to 6 [...]If you have not looked at v6, it may have been fixed..
I tested SageTV in November 2007 and it was v6. My padding issue is working as intended by design I was told when I wrote to support about it. Its meant to make sure you dont miss anything from your favourites recordings. They told me to simply add more tuners.

I have to agree that SageMCE skin does look rather nice
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-08, 12:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
What makes it so much better than MCE?
  • Sage supports way more tuner devices (Except CableCARD )
  • Far more customizable
  • Supports client/server setup
  • Better media extender hardware available
  • Natively allows for more than 2 tuners
  • Gets updated way more often
  • Has more and actually usable internet integration in the interface (Direct access to Youtube and High def content)
  • Can use a broad variety of remote controls, including MCE remotes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-08, 12:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
They told me to simply add more tuners.
How many do you have right now?
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-08, 02:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
  • Sage supports way more tuner devices (Except CableCARD )
  • Far more customizable
  • Supports client/server setup
  • Better media extender hardware available
  • Natively allows for more than 2 tuners
  • Gets updated way more often
  • Has more and actually usable internet integration in the interface (Direct access to Youtube and High def content)
  • Can use a broad variety of remote controls, including MCE remotes
Thanks for the info. Most of these are less applicable once you already have an MCE system up and running (i.e. tuner card, remote, etc.) but Sage definitely has some advantages. I

f this rumoured "analog hole" HD tuner card comes out and is only supported by Sage then I will switch in a second. Right now I don't mind the V1 MCE extenders since they are cheap (<$100 on eBay) and the fact that they don't support HD is not a big deal since there is so little decent HD that I am able to PVR (only OTA).
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-08, 03:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
If this rumoured "analog hole" HD tuner card comes out
Buh!!!???!!!???

What is this!?!?!
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-08, 04:50 PM

Quote:
How many do you have right now?
At that time, 4xHD and 3xSD.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-08, 05:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Buh!!!???!!!???

What is this!?!?!
Check out this thread http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=78005

Then there was this on another forum:
Quote:
...But Hauppauge folks did show me a super-prototype new HD capture product: the HD-PVR (tentative name). Tentative price: $250. Captures full 1080p over the analog hole, so no DRM issues.

I asked if Sage new about it or would support it, and the rep told me he didn't think they were aware of it yet. So Sage folks: Please make some calls and start bugging hauppauge. I'd love to use this to capture HD off my cable box or as an alternative to the R5000.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in