Something better than always writing DVD's? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-01-04, 10:27 PM

Wayne - What does that have to with getting the content to his TV? Just curious as I a looking for a solution myself and getting the content to an upstairs TV is the only part I am missing. I am using the Vista Media Center and burning to watch upstairs like the OP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-01-04, 11:14 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarter View Post
Wayne - What does that have to with getting the content to his TV?
The OP asked how can I watch content that I download from the net onto TV - one way is to actually connect a PC to the TV which is what I was getting at. With a remote you can then effectively control content like videos, etc. from 10 ' away. He says that his PC is a laptop so this may work even better as you could leave a VGA cable hanging off of the TV and connect the laptop into it when you want to watch this content.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-01-05, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

That sounds good wayne, however the very first thing I did was remove Vista from the new computer. I tried to live with it, but vista is just so slow and annoying with all its well slow and annoying-ness I just coulnd't deal with it. Honestly Vista is so annoying that when I was upgrading to XP HP was telling me the computer is not ment for XP and drivers are hard to find etc. I told them I they dont get me XP drivers (which they did in the end) I was sending back the computer. I honestly dislike Vista that much. It's retarded. (no offence to vista lovers, thats just a personal opinion)...

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-01-05, 10:49 AM
Veteran

To each his own - I built a full HTPC just over a year ago just before Vista was released. I therefore qualified for a free upgrade to Vista. I have not upgraded this HTPC since it took a lot of playing around and configuring to get everything working properly. Plus the UI in Vista Media Center is slightly different. I don't want to tick off "She Who Must Be Obeyed" by having the system not work for a while because I am playing with video drivers, etc. and then have her get frustrated by the new interface. I also have bought 3 (soon to be 5) extenders that allow me to play this content on other TVs around the house and these extenders don't work with Vista, only XP MCE.

But I do have Vista on another PC and, for the most part, I like it - it looks gorgeous.

Assuming that you still have a license for Vista you could always try installing it in a dual boot config. It probably isn't worth spending $100 for XP MCE plus it would require an OS reinstall.

The other things you could try are other HTPC software - I once tried something called Meedio and it was good but then it was bought by Yahoo and killed. There are other options out there - MediaPortal, etc. that act as a front end for media content.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-01-19, 10:42 AM

Are you sure about that Dubble? My dvp5140 has no USB or HDMI. Just Composite and Component output - not even S-Video. Are there different versions of this player?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in