Can't record any digital channels on Shaw via Firewire - help please. - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-12-03, 08:27 PM

Is there an upate for the Vancouver area using the 6416 Box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-12-10, 07:44 PM
Rookie

FWIW, I can see imagine why your time-shifted channels (Seattle etc) aren't enabled since you may well get the same channel at 'your' time where you are. But re: Discovery HD. Just doesn't make sense. Diagnostic Page 11, sub-page 3 still shows Discovery HD 5C=OFF and Copy state set to "Copy Freely". Why then it is set to CCI=0x02 on page 6 doesn't make any sense. If Shaw is following the broadcaster's edict re: copy protection, it should be done through the 5C flag which has the granularity to set it to copy once, copy never (i.e. record on an internal PVR drive or never). But Discovery HD hasn't done that.

strange
post #93 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-12-16, 08:11 AM

It's too bad they have done this to Discovery HD and WGN-HD.

Could be worse though, I'd really really be pissed if PBS-HD wasn't recordable on MythTV. As long as the 4 US Networks & PBS, 2 Canadian Networks, and The Sports Channels are recordable via Firewire, I'm not too angry yet.

post #94 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-02-22, 12:42 AM

I'm in Burnaby, and to me it seems as though only certain programs on DWHD are unrecordable (including the aforementioned Megabuilders, among a few others I have tried recording). Sportsnet Vancouver HD (Canucks) is one of the other channels I can't capture anything from. HGTV HD just came online and I can't capture from it either. I wonder if there's a default flag in their system for new channels?
post #95 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-03-05, 07:40 AM

Discovery works again
That new HGTV-HD works too, in Winnipeg anyhow. :-)

I really get the feeling that the engineers at Shaw have no clue what they are doing or how they are configuring things. The fact that the copy-protection seems to get shut on/shut off at seemingly random times on certain stations makes no sense. You'd think that Shaw would copy-protect HBO Canada, Movie Central, or Superchannel, but amazingly they don't. In the US, I know that premium movie channels NEVER have the 5C encryption turned off but in Canada the premium stations are ALWAYS set as Copy-Free for me and have been for years (provided you are subscribed to them). This strongly leads me to believe the engineers just really don't even know.

My routine is that I subscribe to one of the premium services for a month here and there, load up my MythTV box with tons of movies, then cancel :-)
I rotate through getting HBO/Movie Central for month, then Superchannel for a month, then wait a few months for the movies to cycle and repeat. Each time loading up the 2 TB drive on my MythTV Box.

Just the other day, I finally decided to go and pickup a new HD box from Shaw to use as essentially a dedicated MythTV capture card. It's only connected to my MythTV backend server via Firewire and sits in the basement; it's never used as an interactive tuner for live tv.
post #96 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-03-06, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV View Post
It could also be a firewire port issue on the PC or some other PC issue. 25' is a bit long for the firewire cable too.
Firewire spec says 4.5m = 14.76 ft.

jf
post #97 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-03-20, 05:14 PM

Good News,

I just noticed that for the first time I've ever seen, History HD channel 229, is now working via Firewire in Winnipeg on Shaw Cable.

That's handy, since I want to set my MythBox to record that new show, "The Kennedys" that's starting next month on History.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ken..._miniseries%29
post #98 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-05-03, 12:44 AM
Rookie

I am in Vancouver and using 3 x 6200 into a firewire card using mythtv.
I cannot seem to record most of the SD content over firewire though, some channels work but most will not lock in mythtv, however all the HD channels work. I think it is any channel in the basic group which I guess are the analogue channels.

Anyone else experience this?
post #99 of 110 (permalink) Old 2011-07-19, 08:11 PM

Spokane HD affiliates are now firewire recordable via Shaw in Winnipeg

Good news,
Shaw today just switched from using the Seattle US HD network affiliates to Spokane affiliates. Unlike the old Seattle ones, these Spokane affiliates work perfectly with Firewire (IEEE1394) capture via software like MythTV. Now there are 2 sets of US network affiliates that both work for recording on an external MythTV box.

Shaw info about the change:
http://www.shaw.ca/Bulletins/Feeds-Winnipeg/
post #100 of 110 (permalink) Old 2012-03-15, 12:50 AM
Rookie

DCT3416 firewire capture issue with recorded content

I am using CapDVHS and am able to record PBS-HD when the channel is "live". I am unable to capture any recorded content from this same channel. When I play back the .ts file created from recorded content it just shows 1 frame with no audio.

Any body else have this issue?
post #101 of 110 (permalink) Old 2012-03-15, 02:27 PM

Just did a test on PBS-HD. I recorded an HD program, then made a capture of part of it with CapDVHS. It played back perfectly. I've seen what you describe before though. It seemed to occur when you attempt to begin a capture in a spot that has some corrupted frames before the capture can stabilize.

I find the capture usually works if you start it a few seconds before or after that point.
If you're getting this phenomenon no matter where you attempt to start a capture, then the only possibility I can think of off hand is that your signal on PBS-HD is slightly weak and some minor corruption is occurring on an ongoing basis, and being only made worse in the recording process, preventing CapDVHS from initializing properly.
post #102 of 110 (permalink) Old 2012-03-16, 06:48 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortuntaely it did not make any difference. I tried starting the capture at a variety of different locations with the same result. I am able to capture if the program is live but cannot capture any pre-recorded material so signal shouldn't be an issue

One thing I did notice was the drm flag is 0x001 but from what I read this shouldn't be an issue. Can you check your channel status?

Last edited by thorin33; 2012-03-16 at 07:09 PM.
post #103 of 110 (permalink) Old 2012-03-17, 12:43 PM

DRM set to 0x01 is fine. All the channels I capture from are set to that value and all the capturing I do is from recordings, not live. What is your RC Flag set to for PBS HD? It should be 0x00.
post #104 of 110 (permalink) Old 2012-03-17, 04:08 PM
Rookie

The RC flag is 0x00. Still no luck capturing recorded shows from PBS.
post #105 of 110 (permalink) Old 2012-03-23, 12:07 PM
Rookie

Anyone else have any suggestions for me to check or try? Can someone who is capturing successfully from a recording tell me their firmware version on the cablebox?

TIA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in