Can't record any digital channels on Shaw via Firewire - help please. - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-28, 01:46 AM

I'm now able to record all the HD channels *except* the 3 detroit based ones (and hdnet didn't work either). While I would certainly prefer to be able to record everything, this is at least a big step forward towards restored functionality. Hopefully they'll unlock those other 3 channels as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-28, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Around 8 pm (west coast) the 2 high def movie channels in our area were: 0x00, and I'd assume recordable via firewire, but I didn't try (hockey game on). At 11 pm, they're both 0x02 again, and not recording via firewire.
post #33 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-28, 06:04 PM
Veteran

Mendel, I'm about to tell you something you are not going to like...

5C settings can actually be at the actual show level and not just at the channel level. The more "premium" the content is, the more likely that it will be 5C=1 or 2.

post #34 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-28, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Yeah, things are not "right" still. I see 0x00 on some channels. Then a few minutes later, see 0x02 on the same channel. Recording is spotty, and not as it used to be. I once again connected to a short firewire connection (to check if it was my 25' firewire causing problems), exhaustively test recording analog and digital channels. No improvement, all the digital channels appear to be hooped. At best I can get transport streams via CapDVHS that will play in Media Player Classic, but with some artifacts, mainly horizontal line break-up whenever there is motion. They will not preview properly in HDTVtoMPEG2 or SVCD2DVD, and SVCD2DVD output always has a 2 second or so delay on the video, compared to audio.

I can compare to a High Def PBS Chick Corea concert recorded a few months back: flawless, crisp, no issues with any players, artifacts or in conversion to dvd.

Think I will just let go for a while.
post #35 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-29, 12:44 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
5C settings can actually be at the actual show level
I do not believe that programme flags are permitted (yet).

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14099

CGMS-a (analogue) can be on a programme by programme basis, however, I have not heard of any digital programme flags since they are illegal, at least for programming originating in the US. The CRTC has probably been mute on the issue, although I can't be sure of that.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #36 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-29, 02:55 PM

I too can now stream the shows to my PC via firewire. Quality of the stream is not perfect but it's working.
post #37 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-29, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I'm also able to record transport streams, though it's a little spotty, either live or recorded digital channels, but dvd's make from the ts have shifted (forward) audio. The transport streams play (in media player classic) but show horizontal lines, similar in appearance to traditional tv, whenever there is movement. These artifacts carry over in any conversion. Also, the TS's do no preview in HDTVtoMPEG2 or SVCD2DVD.

This latter seems to me a symptom that something is haywire. Obviously I'm not that knowledgable, just chronicling observations.

Tonight I did a test CapDVHS of one of the oldest recordings currently on our pvr, a high def pbs program from Sept. 19/07. It came across perfectly, no artifacts, previews fine in HDTVtoMPEG2 and SVCD2DVD. Just now did a dvd conversion, with SVCD2DVD: no problems, good quality, no out-of-sync audio.

This recording done tonight from a Sept 19/07 pvr recording was done with a 25' firewire cable (no repeater), and my usual workflow. And it's fine. Fine at the transport stream stage, no artifacts, no preview problems, troublefree dvd conversion.

The only conclusion I can make is the problem is with Shaw. This is their response to my email enquiry on the subject:

"You are correct, we do not provide any technical assistance when you record from a Shaw digital PVR cable box to the computer via firewire.
Thank you for choosing Shaw Eservices."

Last edited by 57; 2007-12-30 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Date corrected.
post #38 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-30, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

In case it would help anyone diagnose:

Whenever I make a DVD conversion from one of these Transport Streams of late, in the converted output the video pauses for the first few seconds, while the audio runs unimpeded. Then the video starts but is obviously delayed, at least 2 seconds.
post #39 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-30, 11:35 PM

i think its time to find another provider - i'm done with this $700 crippled boat-anchor...
post #40 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-31, 01:46 PM

I had the same audio/video sync problems. It didn't happen every time though. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it didn't. If you run the ts file through VideoRedo before using HDTV2DVD, it almost always fixes it.

Poggy

"When in doubt, make it sound convincing."
post #41 of 110 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 03:03 AM

Can't record 204 PBS-HD again. Other channels (except for the usual Eastern time shifts) seem to be okay.
post #42 of 110 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 05:25 PM

Firewire port is not active in my new 3416 box

My original post was closed and I was asked to post question here:

Quote:
I just bought my first HDPVR from shaw last weekend and everything works so far except firewire ports.

I followed the steps posted here but I always got the following info in d11 first page:
Enabled: Yes Active: No

On the third page:
Active: 0

I did test both firewire ports but got exactly the same results. 3416 was hooked up with Windows XP SP2 and Ubuntu Linux (MythTV). In Windows XP, there is NO "New Hardware Found" window popup. It looks like Windows couldn't detect 3416 box via firewire.

Any suggestion? Should I contact Shaw for a new box?
Further question: For those who has active firewire port, do you have active port if you don't connect your STB box to PC? Does it still show Active:1 in this page? Could my problem due to bad firewire cable/bad firewire port on my PC?

Thanks!
post #43 of 110 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 06:58 PM

No the firewire port is not active when it's not connected
post #44 of 110 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee15 View Post
No the firewire port is not active when it's not connected
Thanks for reply, wlee15!
It could be the cheap firewire cable I bought from local store. I will get a monster cable to try out.
Have a good weekend!
post #45 of 110 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 07:36 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
I will get a monster cable to try out.
Don't waste your money. Go to a computer store and get a firewire cable. See the following thread:

This is a digital signal and the last thing you need is to waste money on Mon$ter stuff.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30452

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in