Can't record any digital channels on Shaw via Firewire - help please. - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-25, 02:10 AM
Rookie

Winnipeg, too

Dangit...I spent the better part of 2 days f'ing around with my STB, Vista MCE, MyTray, CapDVHS and finally SageTV only to stumble on this thread.

What has Shaw done to us, and is it permament?

FWiW, I've used graphedit to capture some raw .ts streams...Windows has no clue what it is or how to decode it. The bitstream is mucked up (either encoded or downright destroyed) either before the firewire port, or at it. Since the STB seems to deal with it fine, and _some_ stations like HDNET work, I suspect it's encoded or watermarked in such a way that the STB is ignorant of the modification, yet Windows can't deal with it.

Any luck on a Mac?

If this doesn't get resolved, this may be it for firewire on Shaw.

Merry Christmas!

(Seriously - Merry Christmas!)

-Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-25, 11:24 AM

Satellite isn't really an option for me (apartment) but if I can't get firewire recording working again for these channels, then I'll have to cancel most of my cable subscription and figure something else out. Maybe I can convince the building owner that a satellite dish on the roof wouldn't be such a bad thing...

Last edited by flimpy; 2007-12-25 at 11:29 AM.
post #18 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-25, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Found the following, very interesting, today's date (Christmas Day!):

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...v/users/306610

Perhaps someone more in the know can interpret in depth. My take is that something *is* being set to disable firewire on specific channels.

FWIW, in the diagnostic dialogue on my Motorola DCT6416 III, Channel 209 (CBUT High Def) D06|CCI is set to 0x02. Channel 3 (Regular CBUT) shows nothing for this same setting (blank).

post #19 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-25, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Mmm, tried (without success?) posting a response with a link. I think that's not allowed for me, not sure. Anyway, for anyone following this, try Googling:

Shaw Cable Begins Blocking IEEE 1394 (Firewire) Output from STBs

The first hit, with today's date (Christmas Day!!) should be a "Gossamer Threads" posting by Martin Lynch on this subject. Sounds like bad news, currently at least.
post #20 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-25, 02:32 PM

That is bad news indeed. Hopefully he'll make some headway with Shaw support.

In the meantime, I've been thinking about alternatives. Does anyone know of a video capture card (with hardware encoder) that can accept component input?

It seems like the best current approach would be to setup an IR blaster to control the box and then capture the output from the signal output over the component cables. The IR blaster might not be necessary, becasue the channel control via firewire still seems to work, but capturing in high definition is still something of a problem.
post #21 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-26, 12:31 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimpy
and then capture the output from the signal output over the component cables.
It cannot be said enough times...

This is NOT possible. There is FAR too much data in an analog HDTV stream and there are no consumer products that can do this AND still sync in the audio stream.

It is either firewire tricks or full support via CableCARD (Or something like it) or nothing. If you were to leave your providor, the only way to get HD content would be with an OTA capable HD tuner card and unless you are in the GTA, there is very little available this way.
post #22 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-26, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Following is an excerpt for Wikipedia article "How to use a Motorola DVR/Configuration". It explains the 5C status being set to "no", and indicats that in that case you need to check D06>CCI status instead. Another nail in the coffin, if that status is 0x02, the channel is encrypted. Anyway, article follows:

How To Check If 5C DTCP is Enabled

Tune to the channel you are checking for 5C DTCP use.

Turn the STB to Standby/Off and press OK/SELECT on the remote within 2 seconds to enter the Diagnostic Main Menu.

Use DOWN ARROW and then OK/SELECT to select the "d11 INTERFACE STATUS" option.

Look at "5C IMPLEMENTATION". A "0" indicates 5C DTCP is not being used, a "1" indicates 5C DTCP is being used.

Press OK/SELECT to go back to the Diagnostic Main Menu.

Press Power to exit the Diagnostic Main Menu and Power again to turn the

STB back on.

On some boxes, it may display "5C IMPLEMENTATION = NO." If this is the case, then you must do the following instead to check your 5C status:

Tune to the channel you are checking for 5C DTCP use.

Turn the STB to Standby/Off and press OK/SELECT on the remote within 2 seconds to enter the Diagnostic Main Menu.

Use DOWN ARROW and then OK/SELECT to select the "d06 CURRENT CHANNEL STATUS" option.

If "CCI" and "DRM" have values of "0x00" the channel is unencrypted. If either setting has any other value, such as "0x01" or "0x02", it indicates encryption.
If the "RC Flag" (Redistribution Control Flag) has any value other than "0x00", then the Broadcast Flag has been detected and the Firewire output is encrypted as a result.
post #23 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-27, 11:42 AM

Shaw Edmonton Moto 6412 III owner. Last week I was walking by The Source and thought to check out Firewire cables. I've been meaning to try to capture my HD recordings for some time now. A friend in Calgary with Shaw has been doing it for months now. Anyway, great deal for 6' cable so I purchased it.

Over the holidays I tried to set it up. Everything went according to plan but I could not capture any HD content. I thought it was a PC issue but it looks to me it's the Shaw box. I can record all standard def content but no channell 200 and up. Question for 57: Shouldn't this thread be under the Shaw PVR section? We might get more replies...

The 5C settings on the HD channels are 0x02 - which I read means you can rip once but that's it. I'm guesing that when you stream to your PC, that's considered a rip????

Anyway, if someone figures this out, please post so you can help out others. I'm still not convinced this thread is in the right place for the Shaw box folks to see but we'll try...
post #24 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-27, 12:05 PM

I've still been able to record Discovery Channel and HDNet via firewire. I'm not sure which other ones are still unencrypted, but Movie Central is the only one I really care about. I just wish they could have waited until AFTER Bond.

Poggy

"When in doubt, make it sound convincing."
post #25 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-27, 12:32 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I believe this is an HTPC issue - since that's the only people it affects, however, if you prefer this in the Shaw HDSTB forum, sobeit. I'll leave a redirect in HTPC.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #26 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-27, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Poggy, re Bond: I was able to record Dr No (to the pc, from DVR hard drive, via Firewire), and convert the transport stream to a DVD with minimal problems. But with subsequent From Russia with Love, the transport stream recording to pc *seemed* to go ok, but repeated attempts to make DVD always resulted in lagged video. All of these were off one (of the two) hd premium movie channels. The Dr No recording, while not bad, exhibitted fairly obvious horizontal lines, looking kind of like old tv, sometimes, during movement.

It seems to me there are 2 issues: the recent locking out and an ongoing decline in image quality.

Maybe we all clamor a bit, but nothing happens? I hope not. It would be nice to get this fixed. I've been a cable subscriber since the 70's, and it's always been a strained relationship between the providers and customers. It would be nice to iron out the copywrite issues that lurk.

I don't think it's anyone's intention to profit from this, apart from saving the price of a dvd or two. Often my recordings are movies and shows that are rarely (if ever) available in any other format. If anything, recording from the dvr to pc motivates me to buy more dvds: when I miss recording a time slot, or am not happy with quality.
post #27 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-27, 04:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I don't think it's anyone's intention to profit from this, apart from saving the price of a dvd or two. Often my recordings are movies and shows that are rarely (if ever) available in any other format. If anything, recording from the dvr to pc motivates me to buy more dvds: when I miss recording a time slot, or am not happy with quality.
And this is the eternal frustration. The big companies refuse to see that this is the likely choice of use of this kind of functionality.

They believe that if they allow us (the consumer) to have their content easily managed by PC hardware, that we will run around and SELL the discs and on top of that, they very likely think that the whole freaking world will stop subscribing to TV and just download everything.

They have ultimately made things so difficult for the end user that they don't care to get into it at all and are just not buying the hardware or subscribing to the content.

For me, if I can no longer do the firewire thing in New Brunswick, I am very likely done with TV if there is no other equivalent alternative.

Sorry to rant...
post #28 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-27, 05:34 PM

I'm in Burnaby, BC and having the same problems. First noticed the problem trying to record "Nature" from PBSHD. Like previous posts have mentioned, channels 218 - 221 are still working. I'm hoping that this is simply a result of Shaw performing testing of their equipment over the holidays as indicated in this thread and that everything will go back to normal after today. But then again, I've been know to dream.
post #29 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-27, 08:20 PM

Here in Calgary, most of the HD channels have gone back to being copy freely. Only the East channels have encryption now.
post #30 of 110 (permalink) Old 2007-12-27, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Same thing here: CCI is showing 0x00, at least for the first high def movie channel (hockey game on, my son's not allowing any further checking).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in