Music from computer - suggestions please - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-12-22, 11:17 AM

Arrow

I wonder if there is a problem with the cabling or the sound card. Does the motherboard have on board audio that can be tried? The cable could be tested by plugging it into a boombox, walkman or MP3 player. As I said before, make sure the cable is plugged into the light green connector and is fully inserted. Also make sure that the speaker output is configured correctly in the software. (Some sound cards allow connectors to be reassigned.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-12-22, 11:17 AM

I had a soundblaster Live! many years ago. That poor old thing is probably on it's last leg from worn connections or failing chips.
Easy solution is get a new sound card. Although I don't think digital is THAT much better than analog, in many cases it is superior and using the coax/spdif output should be the first choice.. plus it saves on wires.

Some new soundcards have optical outs too, which is good if you're running out of digital connections on your receiver.

The soundblaster might be fixable by installing the latest drivers (if they even exist anymore), but that's a long shot. Still a new card is the best bet. I'm very pleased with my old Audigy2 value it works perfectly in XP and Vista x64 even though Vista doesn't support all it's features. In my lurking, the Creative X-Fi seems to have the most "issues", but that's mostly in high performance gaming. The Turtle Beach cards are never mentioned by people having problems and if onboard sound wasn't so good with the new motherboards, I'd be looking at that too.

Ripping with WMP can produce some excellent results if storage space isn't a concern. Personally I rip all my CDs to Windows Media lossless format. Each song can be 20meg EACH, with a bit rate of 800 to 1000 Kbps for superb sound. Obviously not a good idea of you're putting them on a portable player.

Sony KDL-55HX750, (Shaw Gateway,4 portals) , Sony STR-DN1000, Sony BDP-S590, Logitech Harmony 650
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-12-23, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Ya, I think it's time for a new sound card. I hope to be able to get a new one sometime after the holidays.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-12-25, 12:22 PM

Sound cards, especially high priced ones, are probably on their way out for all but special applications such as music production or high end HTPCs. The HD sound chips and codecs on new motherboards are as good or better than most budget sound cards. I use the onboard audio for my HTPC and it is very good for digital, comparable to a SB Audigy II or better. DD is passed through and decoded by the AV receiver so that doesn't even apply. When motherboards with good digital audio outputs can be purchased for $75-$150, it doesn't make any sense to spend over $200 for a state of the art sound card. It's cheaper in the long run to get a new PC.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-12-26, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

My computer is way too old for on-board audio. Going that route would require a new PC - which may be an option down the road, but not right now.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-12-27, 11:06 PM

In that case, look for an audio card in the $30 price bracket. A SB Audigy II Value (OEM) is probably the best bet. Pick up a cheap 75 ohm video cable from a surplus store or monoprice.com to send digital audio to the AV receiver.

Last edited by I_Want_My_HDTV; 2007-12-27 at 11:14 PM.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-12-29, 01:55 PM
Rookie

Question PC audio output to AV Receiver?

Greetings Everyone!

I have below listed equipments. I would have bought betterone but never knew about this amazing forum that can even help in choosing a good system set up.

AV Receiver Sony HTDDW-990
DVD up converter DVP-NC85H
HD TV
Viewsat Extreme SAT Receiver

I want to connect my laptop's audio output to receiver and also want to have a small Karaoke thing to connect to the receiver.

I know above said receiver comes with a DMPort. can it help? What are use of this port?

Any help would be highly appreciated.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 2007-12-30, 09:29 AM

From Sonystyle

DMP Digital Media Port:

Integrate a wide variety of music with your home theater system. Add a DMP accessory (sold separately) to play music from a PC client device, Bluetooth ® receiver, or from select Network Walkman™ or iPod® digital music players.

sounds like a SONY thing?

I see you have 1 s/pdif (sony/phillips digital interface) input on the back of your receiver (orange?). IF your laptop has a s/pdif/digital coax output it's a simple one-wire RCA plug connection.

Otherwise both the laptop and the Karaoke will have to use the red/white RCA phonoplug connections. You have 6 or 7 of these Analog Audio In on the back of your receiver. Your laptop will have a stereo RCA miniplug 1/8" for it's output. At Circuit City you can buy a cable with the MALE stereo miniplug on one end and red/white MALE RCA phonoplug connectors on the other. This is what you'd be looking for.

http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Pr...roduct=4202481

Sony KDL-55HX750, (Shaw Gateway,4 portals) , Sony STR-DN1000, Sony BDP-S590, Logitech Harmony 650
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 2008-01-14, 07:19 PM

Location: Thornhill, Rogers, SA3250, Sanyo PLV-Z4, Carada 102", Panny RP56 DVD, HKAVR525, Klipsch, MX700
Rideauman - I had the same issue as you a while back ; ie old PC ( older DELL wtih on-board SoundBlaster Live! Value card), and I too intially had poor quality results. I resolved everything as follows:

a) bought a reasonable soundcard with a digital output :http://www.m-audio.ca/products/en_ca...2496-main.html. This card is not only high quality, but is unique in that it has only RCA and digital coax inputs/outputs - no miniature connectors. And if ever I throw out the PC, I can always re-use the card.

b) avoided use of the CD inputs on the AVR as t gave me problems on analog outputs from the PC. Worked fine on any other analog input, but better still, I used the digital connectors - ran a cable from the digital out on the card to the digital coax input on the AVR (via a single digital coax RCA cable)

c) as well, to rip music from my old LPs. cassette and ree-to-reel, I simply connected TAPE OUT of the AVR to the RCA analog inputs on the card.

d) I manage all playback content ( Mp3 and FLAC) with MediaMonkey http://www.mediamonkey.com - more feature rich that iTunes and runs very fast on the old PC.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 2008-01-14, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Marvin - thanks for the suggestions. That's a pretty "funky" looking sound card. Quite honestly, that's the first SC that I've seen w/ RCA connections direct (no mini connectors). Any other brands out there with the same type of connections?
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 2008-01-14, 10:07 PM

Location: Thornhill, Rogers, SA3250, Sanyo PLV-Z4, Carada 102", Panny RP56 DVD, HKAVR525, Klipsch, MX700
Re other cards with RCA connections - I dont know of others - but havent really looked - it wasnt the main objective or a requirement, but it turned out to be excactly what I needed - it came highly recommended from a few audio purists (another forum) and after some research of my own, I ended up going for it. Super pleased with re build quality, audio quality, flexibility etc. If I recall it was about $100 - about $50 more than I wanted to spend, but certainly great value. It will stay in that pc for quite a while, and I can always re-use it elsewhere as needed.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 2008-01-15, 10:01 AM
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230
Rideauman

Another suggestion the media player that you are using eg windows media player, winamp etc make sure that volume control is set to at least 80-90% volume.

As Johnny G said I also have my windows volume set at 80-90% as it can clip(overload the receiver input if everything set at full volume)

Two of my computers setup its hooked up to the same stereo that is close by in the basement.

One of the computer uses the same old Sound Blaster Live card. The SB card is much better than the one built on the mother board much smoother, cleaner, and open sound.

Then I realised that I had a older AMC 18bit DAC sititng down not being used.

So I connected both computer to the DAC using a 75ohm coaxial cable.

Ohhhh the sound was much better than the SB vocal was easily more detailed and open, the topend was much cleaner and the SB sounded compress.. Now I just select from the DAC what computer I want for sound as one computer I use as a home server.

Marvin what's a reel to reel just kididng what do you have a Tanberg, Revox, Teac.
Good luck.

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;

Last edited by Yaamon; 2008-01-15 at 10:08 AM.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 2008-01-15, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Marvin what's a reel to reel just kididng what do you have a Tanberg, Revox, Teac.
Good luck.
I picked up one on ebay last year - TEAC X-1000R 4 TRACK 4 HEAD 3 MOTOR ; AUTO REVERSE, 10.5" CAPACITY; FULL SOLENOID LOGIC Pretty much mint condition except after all these years, it does need an oil change! I really should bring it somewhere (but it ways a ton). Know of any local places? My old notes indicate a place called Experimental Electronics, but I never checked them out.

Gotta say though, what a thrill converting those 45 year old tapes to digital for playback at home , on the ipod, and in the car...at suprising good quality in some cases.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 01:31 PM

Some of those tapes could be very valuable. In cases where the original masters were lost or damaged, studios make new masters from other sources, such as tapes and records. If they are in very good condition and rare, they may also be sought after by collectors.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 2008-01-17, 12:18 AM
ASA

Quote:
What bit rate?
No clue - how can you tell?
The easy way, right click on the track and hit "Properties", then "Summary", then "Advanced", then look at the bottom part of that window.

Let us know the last 3 things.

Bitrate (what does it say? 128, 160, 192, 256, 320, or something else?)
Sampling Rate (44 or 48?)
Channels (stereo or mono?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in