My HTPC Success Story! - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-20, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

I did set the center timings thing but it didnt do anything that I can see. I think the board only has DVI and VGA, I didnt go with the HDMI one. If I can get my hands on a cheap VGA cable I will try it out and see what happens. My tv has an option for "wide TV" or "Wide PC" When set to wide PC the display is more centered but I cant seem to get the adjustments to make it any bigger. When i go to say 1280 x 768 @ 60hz the desktop becomes much smaller but when its set at 1280 x 720 its about 1" off all around. I set it to 1920 x 1080 @ 30hz and it overscanned in Wide PC which I couldnt figure out how to get that to work. Does adjusting the refresh rate affect over/underscanning at all?

From what I saw regular VGA is meant for 800 x 600 resolution and there is different cables for higher resolution, is this true in this case?

TV - Samsung HLR5064W, Gaming Console - Ps2 w/chip and component cables, Cable Provider - Rogers STB - SA3250HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-21, 08:41 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth1
From what I saw regular VGA is meant for 800 x 600 resolution and there is different cables for higher resolution, is this true in this case?
Saying VGA is sorta like saying Skidoo. The current VGA standards go all the way up into the stratosphere for resolutions. There is no "special" cable for higher resolutions on VGA.

Unfortunately, it is starting to look like the money you saved on the version of board is about to be spent on something else. I would suggest getting a demo copy of Powerstrip and see if that lets you fine tune a bit better. If that does not work, then I would suggest a Gigabyte Silentpipe series 8600 GT. It would guarantee zero performance issues during playback and the NVidia drivers are much more tunable than the ATI ones.

The other option, of course, would be to buy a new TV. I assume that idea is not in the stars.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-21, 11:56 PM

Hi stealth1, A few more things to try.

I use a DVI to hdmi cable to my TV. The video card is DVI out.
IN the ATTRIBUTES under you DTV

The image scaling you used CENTERED TIMINGS
But... Did you UNCHECK the SCALE IMAGE to the FULL PANEL SIZE?
You should do that as well.

Also under your DTV in CCC is there a SCALING OPTIONS?
Please ensure that you do not check the box to use the scaling options

Good luck

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-22, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Honestly I have the resolution setup to a point now where I the minor underscanning doesn't bother me that much. I havent had any playback issues so far so im happy as it is. If I do end up running into issues with playback then definitely i will look into a seperate video card but dont think I need it yet. I will try out the powerstrip demo and see what I can get from playing with that. Obviously I would love to have it dead on but the less than 1" underscanning right now isnt worth another $100+. If I cant get closer with powerstrip then I will see about getting a VGA cable and seeing how that works out.

Anyone have insight into whether setting the TV to Wide PC will help at all?

For Image Scaling you can only have full panel size or centered timings, when you check one the other becomes unchecked. I dont remember a scaling option but I will check when I get back to play with it some more. I did some tweaking of the setup and got it a little closer than before but not perfect yet.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate the input you have all offered me.

On a side note Mediaportal so far is pretty good but it is very very finicky and isnt really as seamless as I was hoping it would be. Like going from a windowed view to fullscreen takes way to long and if your watching an .iso/.img file it resets the file. Also the controls kinda suck using the keyboard so im going to have to look into a remote if the add-on for that is any good. I have found MP has crashed or locked up way too many times for me but as it is I dont feel like spending $130 on MCE2005 right now.

TV - Samsung HLR5064W, Gaming Console - Ps2 w/chip and component cables, Cable Provider - Rogers STB - SA3250HD
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-22, 08:51 AM
RRH

Quote:
but when its set at 1280 x 720 its about 1" off all around.
That is the way it is supposed to be on the PC wide input stealth, you
will have approximately a 1" border all the way around the Display but it shouldn't be overscanning, or underscanning on that setting within the display area, that's the way the Sammy PC input looks when running correctly. If you switch it at That setting into TV wide it will overscan slightly
but fill the display.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-22, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Yup that is true, that setting does fill the wide PC properly, only overscans when in wide TV which is where I would like to get it setup to full fill the screen.

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-11-18, 09:18 PM
Rookie

pArtition help and why the Samsung?

Hey about the partition, u will need to do a low level format to wipe the drive clean then reinstall. I suspect u are to far ahead to bother doing that but if u do, get partition magic and don't bother to partition during the install. When u are done, then install PM and use it to partition the drive.

By the way, why did u chose the Samsung, I am looking at the same one to buy?
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-11-19, 02:22 PM

Hey Stealth1,

Try one of these to lower the fan noise.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...dx=14&code=017

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in