asus m2a-vm hdmi
2 gb ram
x2 6400 cpu

display:
51" CRT display

source:
OTA into Hauppauge 1600

playback through BeyondTV4.7

I have to use the DVI to HDMI output because the asus software does not recognize HDMI to HDMI going through the monoprice 5x1 switch.

On 720p and 1080i shows I get a shimmer when the camera is panning vertically and horizontally at times.

I think part of the problems is my TV overscans so I have change the resolution lower to fit the screen. It seems to help when I don't adjust for the overscan.

There are so many options in the catayst panel that It could take a very long time to test all. I am not even sure if it is a setup thing in BeyondTV screwing it up.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions. I know a few users here have the board so I am hoping there input can solve this for me.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Hard to say without seeing the problem first hand.

In general though CRT HDTVs tend to be more finicky when it comes to the timing of the signal. When I used to have my 9800Pro connected to my CRT via component changing the widths of the horizontal front/back porches or sync times could sometimes have a big impact on the picture quality.

I would try to change some of those paramters to see if it helps. It's been a while since I used an ATI card so I'm not up to speed on the Catalyst Control panel settings.

#3 ·
I only use a 4200+ dual core cpu @ 2.4GHz with 2GB of RAM in the M2A-VM HDMI, I certainly had problem doing 1920x1080p, frequent artifacts like stutters, strange 'split' images, etc playing back recording OTA HD files.

It is barely noticeable when doing 1280x720p or my current 1360x768p, using standalone software like PowerDVD6 / WMP11.

The problem was greatly magnified when I used GB-PVR, even though all the codecs were supposed to be the same.

#4 ·
PPL4GOLF,

have you ever looked at your CPU usage during that period? I have looked at mine and it is only using approx. 50%. This would have me believing that my CPU is fine and it is something else.

I am going to try and play the files using other software and see what happens. I changed a bunch of settings in the avivo (or whatever its called) menus but it made no difference.

IMO this is BeyondTV or setting within ATI

#5 ·
The CPU utilization is not even @ 50%, the only time it'll spike more is when playing certain 16:9 1080p Apple Trailers with the wrong codec.

Ironically, I have another HTPC with Sempron @ 2GHz and onboard Nvidia 6150 and it did amazingly well with the recorded HD programs (MPEG2), even @ 1920x1080 but really choked up like a dog on more CPU intensive stuff like Apple Traliers.

#6 ·
Well I played the ota .ts files through windows media player and another player and they both work a lot better. I have tried all the video decorders which are an option within BTV4 but its not as smooth. Looks like I am going to have to reasearch the BTV forums.

#7 ·
I uninstalled TheatherTek DVD player. Did a windows update, loaded MP11.

Playback through BTV is better but is a bit choppy or stuttery. Not too bad but noticable to me. Playing the file through MP11 had same results.

I still think I can improve this because the previous MP played it perfect.

#8 ·
The 690G mobos have had a pretty steady stream of firmware updates, be sure to make sure you have the latest from your manufacturer. My ASUS board had some pretty significant issues with digital out with the shipping firmware which were fixed via an upgrade.

#10 ·
Ok. I read online about people turning paging off or setting the value to zero.

I loaded latest ATI driver
Set paging to zero
windows update

It seems to be running even better now. I can still see a bit of pausing however it is not nearly as noticeable.

I am still going to do more tweaking and see what happens.

#11 ·
That is definitely bizzare.

I am only running an X2 4000+ and I can play anything (Short of being able to test HD-DVD/BD as I do not have a drive). I never have issues of studdering.

Unfortunately, I do not use the component out. I only use DVI to DVI on an ACER TV that supports PC use natively so everything has always been flawless.

Keep digging. There has to be a reason in there somewhere.

I use PowerDVD 7.3 if it helps your troubleshooting.

#13 ·
I have not seem the shimmer at all anymore. Since loading the latest drivers which were just release the CPU usuage has gone down. It seems to avg. about 30% now as opposed to 50%.

I still get a bit of stutter when the picture is panning though.

I have to record some content on my 9200 and compare between the 2 of them as this may not even be an issue with the HTPC at all.

#14 ·
all my OTA stations are buffalo.

I watched the recorded episode of Prison Break and it was awesome! The picture had no stuttering at all.

Maybe it is the ABC feed from buffalo that is giving me stuttering through Grey's Anatomy. The sound on grey's anatomy was fluctuating as well. These were shows from last week and week before.

Setting are currently 1280*720

Will try 1920*1080i

#16 ·
Anyone else have any other suggestions? I am still trying to fix this problem. Since the last post I read someone with a similar problem and they stated it may be telecine judder.

I have spent too much time with this and have got nowhere. The picture judders on 1080i source on slow panning shots. It is bothering me more and more.

Latest bios, latest ATI CCC drivers. Have tried PowerDVD 7.3 and have tried every option in the video section possible. Have tried every option within CCC. I have tried all the options within MP10, 11.

I am debating uninstalling all the video codecs and installing one by one to see what happens but that is time consuming.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Joe

#17 ·
There will always be some judder on film material being played back on 60Hz display. Even if it were playing at an even multiple of 24Hz you'll still see some if the pan is too fast.

That being said, if you are experiencing a lot of judder you should consider trying out reclock.

#18 ·
jvincent,

When I pause the scene on panning at the right time it shows 2 frames which are blurred. A little judder would be acceptable but I think this is worse. Not bad enough that the wife says anything.

That filter does it require Direct Show because I never used it before.

Thanks

#19 ·
I can't say as I've ever seen that one before.

During moving scenes it's expected to a certain degree of that on an interlaced display but I would have thought that when you are paused you would only be seeing output from a single frame. It may have something to do with the way the integrated graphics work.

Reclock is a Direct Show filter. I'm not sure how well it would work with the S/W you are using but it's pretty straightforward to try.

Remember, create an image of your system before you install anything!

#22 ·
Here is a pic if it sparks anything for anyone. I am still thinking it is a codec issue but have exhausted everything. Ignore the camera flash. You can clearly see the cards are a double image and blurred. This was a slow panning scene with the camera moving upwards.

#24 ·
Yes it was paused.

I downloaded the trial of Nvidea purevidedo codec and it seemed the same but I couldn't play with it more because it kept losing the Digital connection (DVI to HDTV). I already used up my theaterTek trial a long time ago.

I wouldn't mind trying again but it won't let me unless anyone knows how to clear it from the registry.

#25 ·
Hey Q!!!

Your earlier post that had this comment finally jarred my brain...

Q said:
The picture judders on 1080i source on slow panning shots.
I DO see that kind of thing on my 690G setup but it is not enough to drive me bananas and we get enough 720p content from my Rogers firewire setup that I don't get as many opportunities to see it with 1080i content.

As jvincent said, if you can take the card back if it does no good, go for it. From all of the reviews I have read and all of the testing and comparing that I can do here at home, a discrete video card "should" cure all of those issues and possibly clean up the playback in ways that you were not expecting it to.

I know from my testing of BluRay from the HQV BluRay disc that the 690G fails all of the image tests. The image still looks great but there is modest tearing, poor jaggies compensation and so on.

I commented in another thread that I am about to get a HD 2600 Pro soon (Just because. Yes that is a silly reason. :) ) so I guess it is either you or me to see what benefit can be had from that card in realworld use.

#26 ·
Ok so maybe it is not the codec then.

I already ordered the asus module which has a digital coax and optical output. I would just disconnect the current module and connect this new one.

Futureshop has the cards I am looking at buying but they are ATI brand name and almost double the price from the sapphire and gigabyte cards. May be good for testing though.

THanks for all the help guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.