HDTV picture shimmer with ati 690G - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 2007-10-15, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

HDTV picture shimmer with ati 690G

system:
asus m2a-vm hdmi
2 gb ram
x2 6400 cpu

display:
51" CRT display

source:
OTA into Hauppauge 1600

playback through BeyondTV4.7

I have to use the DVI to HDMI output because the asus software does not recognize HDMI to HDMI going through the monoprice 5x1 switch.

On 720p and 1080i shows I get a shimmer when the camera is panning vertically and horizontally at times.

I think part of the problems is my TV overscans so I have change the resolution lower to fit the screen. It seems to help when I don't adjust for the overscan.

There are so many options in the catayst panel that It could take a very long time to test all. I am not even sure if it is a setup thing in BeyondTV screwing it up.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions. I know a few users here have the board so I am hoping there input can solve this for me.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 2007-10-15, 01:21 PM

Hard to say without seeing the problem first hand.

In general though CRT HDTVs tend to be more finicky when it comes to the timing of the signal. When I used to have my 9800Pro connected to my CRT via component changing the widths of the horizontal front/back porches or sync times could sometimes have a big impact on the picture quality.

I would try to change some of those paramters to see if it helps. It's been a while since I used an ATI card so I'm not up to speed on the Catalyst Control panel settings.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 2007-10-16, 03:35 PM

I only use a 4200+ dual core cpu @ 2.4GHz with 2GB of RAM in the M2A-VM HDMI, I certainly had problem doing 1920x1080p, frequent artifacts like stutters, strange 'split' images, etc playing back recording OTA HD files.

It is barely noticeable when doing 1280x720p or my current 1360x768p, using standalone software like PowerDVD6 / WMP11.

The problem was greatly magnified when I used GB-PVR, even though all the codecs were supposed to be the same.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 2007-10-16, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

PPL4GOLF,

have you ever looked at your CPU usage during that period? I have looked at mine and it is only using approx. 50%. This would have me believing that my CPU is fine and it is something else.

I am going to try and play the files using other software and see what happens. I changed a bunch of settings in the avivo (or whatever its called) menus but it made no difference.

IMO this is BeyondTV or setting within ATI
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 2007-10-16, 10:14 PM

The CPU utilization is not even @ 50%, the only time it'll spike more is when playing certain 16:9 1080p Apple Trailers with the wrong codec.

Ironically, I have another HTPC with Sempron @ 2GHz and onboard Nvidia 6150 and it did amazingly well with the recorded HD programs (MPEG2), even @ 1920x1080 but really choked up like a dog on more CPU intensive stuff like Apple Traliers.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 2007-10-16, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

Well I played the ota .ts files through windows media player and another player and they both work a lot better. I have tried all the video decorders which are an option within BTV4 but its not as smooth. Looks like I am going to have to reasearch the BTV forums.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 2007-10-17, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

I uninstalled TheatherTek DVD player. Did a windows update, loaded MP11.

Playback through BTV is better but is a bit choppy or stuttery. Not too bad but noticable to me. Playing the file through MP11 had same results.

I still think I can improve this because the previous MP played it perfect.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 2007-10-17, 10:14 AM

The 690G mobos have had a pretty steady stream of firmware updates, be sure to make sure you have the latest from your manufacturer. My ASUS board had some pretty significant issues with digital out with the shipping firmware which were fixed via an upgrade.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 2007-10-17, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

I loaded the latest not too long ago.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 2007-10-19, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

Ok. I read online about people turning paging off or setting the value to zero.

I loaded latest ATI driver
Set paging to zero
windows update

It seems to be running even better now. I can still see a bit of pausing however it is not nearly as noticeable.

I am still going to do more tweaking and see what happens.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 2007-10-19, 06:19 PM
Veteran

That is definitely bizzare.

I am only running an X2 4000+ and I can play anything (Short of being able to test HD-DVD/BD as I do not have a drive). I never have issues of studdering.

Unfortunately, I do not use the component out. I only use DVI to DVI on an ACER TV that supports PC use natively so everything has always been flawless.

Keep digging. There has to be a reason in there somewhere.

I use PowerDVD 7.3 if it helps your troubleshooting.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 2007-10-19, 11:51 PM

que3jxp,

I don't have any problem either at 1360x768...but it couldn't handle 1920x1080 well enough.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 2007-10-22, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

I have not seem the shimmer at all anymore. Since loading the latest drivers which were just release the CPU usuage has gone down. It seems to avg. about 30% now as opposed to 50%.

I still get a bit of stutter when the picture is panning though.

I have to record some content on my 9200 and compare between the 2 of them as this may not even be an issue with the HTPC at all.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 2007-10-23, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

all my OTA stations are buffalo.

I watched the recorded episode of Prison Break and it was awesome! The picture had no stuttering at all.

Maybe it is the ABC feed from buffalo that is giving me stuttering through Grey's Anatomy. The sound on grey's anatomy was fluctuating as well. These were shows from last week and week before.

Setting are currently 1280*720

Will try 1920*1080i
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 2007-10-24, 09:22 PM

I have the same motherboard and 5x1 switch from monoprice and my video works great through hdmi. It gets looped through a yamaha 2600 receiver. I set the catalyst forced 720p mode since my TV's native is 720p.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in