HDTV picture shimmer with ati 690G - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

Anyone else have any other suggestions? I am still trying to fix this problem. Since the last post I read someone with a similar problem and they stated it may be telecine judder.

I have spent too much time with this and have got nowhere. The picture judders on 1080i source on slow panning shots. It is bothering me more and more.

Latest bios, latest ATI CCC drivers. Have tried PowerDVD 7.3 and have tried every option in the video section possible. Have tried every option within CCC. I have tried all the options within MP10, 11.

I am debating uninstalling all the video codecs and installing one by one to see what happens but that is time consuming.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 09:24 AM

There will always be some judder on film material being played back on 60Hz display. Even if it were playing at an even multiple of 24Hz you'll still see some if the pan is too fast.

That being said, if you are experiencing a lot of judder you should consider trying out reclock.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

jvincent,

When I pause the scene on panning at the right time it shows 2 frames which are blurred. A little judder would be acceptable but I think this is worse. Not bad enough that the wife says anything.

That filter does it require Direct Show because I never used it before.

Thanks

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 10:40 AM

I can't say as I've ever seen that one before.

During moving scenes it's expected to a certain degree of that on an interlaced display but I would have thought that when you are paused you would only be seeing output from a single frame. It may have something to do with the way the integrated graphics work.

Reclock is a Direct Show filter. I'm not sure how well it would work with the S/W you are using but it's pretty straightforward to try.

Remember, create an image of your system before you install anything!
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

Does anyone think getting a HD 2600 pro of XT card will get rid of this problem?
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 03:13 PM

It's really hard to say without seeing it firsthand.

If you can get a HD2600 from somewhere that will allow you to return it, then it's worth a shot.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

Here is a pic if it sparks anything for anyone. I am still thinking it is a codec issue but have exhausted everything. Ignore the camera flash. You can clearly see the cards are a double image and blurred. This was a slow panning scene with the camera moving upwards.

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 06:59 PM

Was it paused when you took the pic?

If you're looking to see if it's codec related, download the TheaterTek trial and see if it's the same. It uses the Nvidia PureVideo decoders, which are quite good.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

Yes it was paused.

I downloaded the trial of Nvidea purevidedo codec and it seemed the same but I couldn't play with it more because it kept losing the Digital connection (DVI to HDTV). I already used up my theaterTek trial a long time ago.

I wouldn't mind trying again but it won't let me unless anyone knows how to clear it from the registry.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 07:29 PM
Veteran

Hey Q!!!

Your earlier post that had this comment finally jarred my brain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
The picture judders on 1080i source on slow panning shots.
I DO see that kind of thing on my 690G setup but it is not enough to drive me bananas and we get enough 720p content from my Rogers firewire setup that I don't get as many opportunities to see it with 1080i content.

As jvincent said, if you can take the card back if it does no good, go for it. From all of the reviews I have read and all of the testing and comparing that I can do here at home, a discrete video card "should" cure all of those issues and possibly clean up the playback in ways that you were not expecting it to.

I know from my testing of BluRay from the HQV BluRay disc that the 690G fails all of the image tests. The image still looks great but there is modest tearing, poor jaggies compensation and so on.

I commented in another thread that I am about to get a HD 2600 Pro soon (Just because. Yes that is a silly reason. ) so I guess it is either you or me to see what benefit can be had from that card in realworld use.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

Ok so maybe it is not the codec then.

I already ordered the asus module which has a digital coax and optical output. I would just disconnect the current module and connect this new one.

Futureshop has the cards I am looking at buying but they are ATI brand name and almost double the price from the sapphire and gigabyte cards. May be good for testing though.

THanks for all the help guys.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 10:40 PM

What OS are you using?

I've been on top of MS and ATI for months to correct an issue with 1080i ATSC playback on Vista with the 690g chipset. It manifests as a green screen using the Microsoft MPEG2 decoder, and stuttering playback with other decoders. It's fixed in Vista SP1, which is available for public testing now. This fix is not available via driver updates.

May or may not be related to your issue, since I see the problem with Media Center. But if you're on Vista, it may be worth trying.

Pete
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 08:51 AM
Veteran

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...3450-3470-3650

Good news on the new low and mid level 3xxx series cards.

Not sure how long you can hold off Q but these sound like some real nice HTPC solutions...
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

pnear,

I am using XP pro.

que3jxp,

I can suffer forever but if there is a $100 solution which there may be right now then I will probably fix it. I want to be sure this works so I will be doing testing first before I actually pull the trigger. New cards are always nice even if it just lowers the cost of existing ones.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Q
Veteran

If I did get a HD2600xt or PRo from Future shop or bestbuy it would be ATI. If I had good results and bought the much cheaper Sapphire or another brand the results should be the same right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in