playing Blu-Ray movies via component - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-09-27, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

playing Blu-Ray movies via component

I'm looking at adding a blu-ray drive to an htpc to be able to watch blu-ray movie.

On the Pioneer site, on the BDC-2202 page, they mention that to be able to play HD movie you need
"MONITOR & GRAPHICS CARD CONNECTION: DIGITAL: HDMI or DVI (HDCP compliant) OR ANALOG: D-Sub VGA supported (adapter may be required)"

I have an older TV set with Component cable only. Am I out of luck for playing HD movies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-09-27, 12:29 PM
Digital Sage

You will probably need to use AnyDVD-HD to be able to watch BluRay over component.

AnyDVD comes with a trial period so you could test it out. Of course you would need to buy the driver and player S/W first as well.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-09-27, 12:41 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I'm not into this technology, however, until there is an ICT in place isn't component video fine for at least 1080i signals? (The cable can handle more, but the device may not output more). I realize this is an HTPC and not a player.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-09-27, 02:56 PM

Generally speaking the component output from computers really sucks in quality compared to VGA/DVI, also adapters etc may not even work in the first place.

With the current prohibiting price of internal HD players, you might as well get something standalone.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-09-27, 09:19 PM
Digital Sage

Component output from a video card is, for all intents and purposes, as good as VGA. You might be confusing component with composite or S-video from a video card.

All of the component outputs on video cards that I am aware of use exactly the same DACs for component as for VGA.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-09-28, 01:01 AM

Good to hear...I am over generalizing, but the 2 mobos I got with integrated 'HDTV' component output are both bad...DVI/VGA were fine.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-10-02, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.
If I decide to go ahead and try this out I'll post the results.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in