No center channel sound when playing movies in MCE - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2007-09-20, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

No center channel sound when playing movies in MCE

A strange problem cropped up for me in MCE (I am running XP MCE 2005 RU2) a while ago that didn't occur when I first set up my HTPC in Dec 2006. When I play a DVD, either directly from a DVD or one that is ripped to my hard drive, I don't get the centre channel audio which contains dialogue. I am using the default media player - I did temporarily switch to TheaterTek (I bought a license for this a while back) but I switched away from it as my remote didn't seem to work properly with TT.

I do get background sounds but that is all. This does NOT happen when I play movies using a third party software DVD player.

I have DD5.1 set up correctly and TV properly plays in 5.1 (I have an HD tuner card in my PC) and I can play back recorded TV with DD 5.1. All other content plays back properly as do Divx/Xvid movies that aren't DD 5.1.

Anyone have any ideas why this might be? Could it be a codec problem (I believe I am using the Nvidia codecs that come with TheaterTek)? How about a language setting problem - I have tried playing around with the language settings without luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2007-09-20, 10:38 PM

Could it be that the movies that don't work are encoded with DTS instead of DD?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2007-09-20, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I don't think so - all movies behave this way and they play properly using PowerDVD. I also think they play properly with Theatertek but I will have to recheck that.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2007-09-21, 08:21 AM

Yeah, you're probably right. MCE will only use "MCE compatible" decoders so it is possible that you have decoders that work fine outside of MCE but not inside of MCE. This utility can help you sort that out: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en. Unlikely though if ATSC plays back fine, that should be using the same decoder as the DvD I would think.

I'd also check out the sound setup in MCE under Tasks, Settings. While unlikely, it is possible that you have that set to the wrong setting. Again, if ATSC works fine then doubtful this is the issue.

I like your idea of audio tracks and the wrong language. I also like the idea that there is something about theatertek that is overriding MCE decoders on DvD playback only. Can you pull out TT altogether and see if that helps?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2007-09-23, 03:44 AM

I've seen (heard) this happen. It is due to the center channel being lost on DD5.1 material. It can be difficult to track down but look for misconfiguration of digital/DD audio settings, either software or hardware. Essentially, the DD5.1 soundtrack is being converted to DD2.0 by discarding the center and rear channels instead of performing mixing. A likely place is in the codec used by TheaterTek.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2007-09-23, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV View Post
I've seen (heard) this happen. It is due to the center channel being lost on DD5.1 material. It can be difficult to track down but look for misconfiguration of digital/DD audio settings, either software or hardware. Essentially, the DD5.1 soundtrack is being converted to DD2.0 by discarding the center and rear channels instead of performing mixing. A likely place is in the codec used by TheaterTek.
Thanks - I will trying playing around with this when I get the chance. The codec supplied by TheaterTek is supposed to be the Nvidia PureVideo codec -assuming that this codec also deals with sound, and I believe it does.

Strange but one of the things that has been giving me the most problem with my HTPC has been sound and it appears that I am not alone,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in