Video Card for displaying HDTV - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-09-08, 12:10 PM
Veteran

I forgot to list the series of cards that are the best or are the best value:
  • X16xx series from ATI
  • Geforce 7600 GS/GT (Favour the GT) from NVidia
  • Geforce 8600 GT/GTS from NVidia
  • HD2400/2600 from ATI

Those are in no particular order. Some are available in fanless so they are even better suited for HTPC use.

Using anything more is overkill on the short term and anything less will reduce the long term usability as TrueHD becomes the dominant standard.

One VERY interesting option right now is the X1950 Pro for AGP and PCI-E as it is priced VERY well and is VERY powerful. The PCI-E variant can be had for well under the $200 mark even with tax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-09-08, 12:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by que3jxp View Post
Intel is the choice right now IF you are buying new. The order of bestness right now is:
  1. Intel Core 2 Duo
  2. AMD X2 / Intel Core Duo
  3. AMD Athlon 64 / Intel Pentium 4
  4. AMD Athlon XP
  5. Intel Pentium 3
I agree with everything in your post except a minor nitpick on the list above. I think that the Athlon X2's are superior than the Core Duos, and the Athlon64's are better than the P4's. You format makes them look equal.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-09-08, 02:52 PM

I wouldn't use anything but AMD X2 EE or Intel Core Duo. Intel Core 2 Quad are overkill. AMD Athlon 64 and Intel Pentium 4 consume too much power for a HTPC (especially the faster CPUs required for HDTV.) AMD Athlon XP and Intel Pentium 3 are outdated and too slow for HDTV.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-09-08, 03:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca
I think that the Athlon X2's are superior than the Core Duos,
If you do some benchmark research, you quickly (and amazingly, as I felt the same way as you at first) find that the X2 and the Core Duo are pretty much equal on a clock to clock basis. There are a few benchmarks where the CD pulls ahead a bit but that is mostly due to the larger cache that is sometimes found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca
and the Athlon64's are better than the P4's.
This one is more open for debate but if I had have been smart and framed my list in reference to HTPC duty, then they are equal. The A64 is better at games but only equal in multimedia to the P4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV
I wouldn't use anything but AMD X2 EE or Intel Core Duo.
I assume you meant Core 2 Duo.

Quote:
Intel Core 2 Quad are overkill.
Not only overkill but there are some apps that have been found to not even run on a C2D quad.

Quote:
AMD Athlon 64 and Intel Pentium 4 consume too much power for a HTPC (especially the faster CPUs required for HDTV.)
You have got my curiosity up. I have access to a Kill-a-watt and I have an A64 3500+ with 2 GB RAM and my newest HTPC is an X2 4000+ @ 65nm and has 2 GB RAM. I am going to have to see which uses more power at idle and during playback.

Quote:
AMD Athlon XP and Intel Pentium 3 are outdated and too slow for HDTV.
The main reason I listed them was for those that may think their CPUs are further up the usefulness list. However, if you are not doing BD or HD-DVD, a higher clocked AXP (Like a Barton 2500+) and a good card like an ATI X1600 Pro or a 7600GS will allow for very acceptable performance for OTA HD and MPEG2 from firewire setups. I have personal experience with both cards on 2500+ setups so I know it is a viable option. The second you go 1080p though, it is all over. You NEED an X2 or a C2D.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in