Media Center Wireless Keyboard/Mouse all in one? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-08-14, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Media Center Wireless Keyboard/Mouse all in one?

Hello.

I'm looking for a decent wireless keyboard that has a built in mouse. I have seen the MS MCE keyboard but not sure what to get.

I'll be running Vista Ultimate, and I have a hauppauge WinTV PCR 150 with remote control so I'm assuming I can use the IR receiver for the MS MCE keyboard as I can only find OEM and nothing with the IR Receiver.

What other options are out there that people have used and liked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-08-14, 01:58 PM

If it is an actual e-home IR receiver then it will work.

I have the same keyboard and it works great.

The mouse isn't great but who uses a mouse in Media Center anyways?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-08-14, 02:03 PM

i also use that MS mce keyboard all in one thing. i think its a very nicely designed keyboard that has all the controls for media center like the remote would have as well.
obviously it works with the e-home receiver.. but what i've noticed, which is good and bad, is that my 360 responds to the mce keyboard and the original MS mce remote that i have. its nice since i didnt have to buy a xbox 360 remote to use with the 360, but whenever using the mce remote both the computer and the 360 respond to it

also, like Kingbuzzo said, the mouse is pretty bad. i do use it quite a bit and try hard to get used to it, but its just weird

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-08-15, 02:28 PM

I wish it would work like a kb with my 360 - it would be great for Messenger.

Oh well...I will have to wait until that cheapy one comes out in the fall..
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-08-18, 04:50 PM
Veteran

I suggest, as I always do, to look at the products from BTC. I have two of their older model units and a friend of mine has the latest one that came out in March.

They are both excellen products. The new model is much more elegant looking and actually has the "Green Button" like on the Windows MCE keyboard.

New KBM: http://www.btc.com.tw/english/2-7-30...htm#9029URFIII

Old KBM: http://www.btc.com.tw/english/2-7-21...rd.htm#9019urf
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-08-20, 11:05 AM

I use the MCE remote and a Keysonic wireless keyboard for the few times that I need one. It has a touchpad with a scroll bar which can be a little annoying, but for the price the little use it gets, it suits me fine.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-08-28, 04:33 PM

I have a BTC 9019urfIII, and I just ordeed the Gyration compact keyboard and Air Mouse form FutureShop- this week's flyer. I thought it might work better to have an air mouse than a joystick/keypad/trackball on the keyboard itself.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-08-28, 05:48 PM

The Gyration products are good for HTPC. The keyboard I have is similar to a laptop. I never did get used to using the mouse in the air though. Good thing it works as a regular mouse too.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-08-28, 07:36 PM
Veteran

There is actually an interesting gyration MCE remote that I saw the other day. Never saw the price but I bet it is not cheap.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-09-25, 05:11 PM

I ended up getting the Logitech DiNovo Edge. It's pricy, but really cool, slim, looks great in the living room, especially with other gloss black A/V gear. I'm reasonably happy with it, but I will still likely get an external mouse at some point. The built-in scroll pad is fine most of the time, but if you were going to use the HTPC for anything more than simple navigation and such I would suggest still having a wireless mouse too.

Panasonic 65ZT60 | Pioneer Elite PRO-730HD | Marantz SR8200 | Elite DV-59AVi | Mirage OM series | Custom HTPC
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2007-09-25, 08:36 PM

I picked up a refurbed Logitech LX7. It's USB wireless optical mouse with good range and sensitivity. It's infrared too so there is no red LED glowing in the dark. It looks like they've been discontinued so it's a good idea to pick one up now. A couple of online Canadian retailers have the refurbs for $17-$20. Regular price is $40-$45.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in