HTPC - Canada versus the U.S. - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 2007-02-26, 05:09 PM

Hi jgvp - I think MS is meaning that if you have HD source material on your computer hard disk, that the MC computer will produce HD PQ. The DVI port on any graphics card I'm aware of is for output, not for input. An S-Video connection (if your graphics card has such an input) will likely yield a better looking picture than the composite connection, but you cannot get an HD signal over S-Video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 2007-02-26, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgvp
...it leads me to think that with the proper HD connection to the HTPC I should be able to view HD.
What exactly leads you to believe that?
You are mislead. My advice, don't spend any money doing that.

Diogen.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 2007-02-26, 08:33 PM
Veteran

Okay... I see we need to review the inputs and outputs that are usable by an HTPC or that even exist.

Composite (The yellow one)

This is the oldest and lowest quality connection type for TV in and out. This connection type is fully supported by consumer level products for in and out on PCs.

S-Video

Better than composite but not that much. In the last few years, this has also become fully supported by PCs for bot in and out.

Component (RGB / YPbPr)

This is HDTV over analog. It is (generally speaking) directly related to VGA. In the consumer world, the only support is for output regardless of if you are talking PC or not.

There are VERY expensive cards available that take in component signals but it is beyond the cost and implementation capabilities of the average person.

DVI / HDMI

These are fully digital connection formats that 1up component by offering 1080p. There is no DVI in available on PCs. There is a rumor of an HDMI in but nothing concrete yet. There are no recording capable devices that use DVI or HDMI as an imput in the consumer electronics realm.

Firewire

Audio/video standard that was created some time ago that is capable of handling a tremendous amount of data both in and out. This is the only way to manageably tap into the digitally transmitted signal that is sent to HD capable cable STBs. If a sattelite HD STB had firewire, it would be at least theorhetical insofar as if the hardware provided actually has the firewire port enabled in the firmware. The firmware and the settings are controlled by the service providor even if you own your hardware.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 2007-02-27, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogen View Post
What exactly leads you to believe that?
You are mislead. My advice, don't spend any money doing that.

Diogen.
There is a HTPC that has been produced by Gigabyte of Taiwan but not yet available in North America that has a HDMI connection. It is because it has been proven feasible, despite the powers-to-be and their concerted efforts to deny us this capability ( why ? vested interests ? ), that I am led to believe that it is then possible by means of an adapter, dongle, whatever. Surely there is an enterprise out there that has enough foresight to recognise the need for such an adapter.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 2007-02-27, 12:59 PM

It is doable. See for example this thread talking about this card.
Every other capture card for hidef before this one was in the couple thousand $$ ballpark.
And those cards can't handle HDCP handshake. You need something like this to get around it.
And most of the capture cards are mediocre at best handling audio.
And you need a fast RAID setup. That won't be cheap either.

There is no conspiracy in this: it is mainly pro equipment that is priced accordingly.

My point was, your video card has nothing to do with getting the stream to your PC, only to playback the stream after it has been recorded.

Diogen.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 2007-02-27, 01:07 PM
Veteran

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1038/4

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...e/Default.aspx

OK...

Again...

The connection is not an INPUT. That HDMI connector on the Gigabyte system is an OUTPUT.

Please please please please read what I wrote and what is in the product specifications on the Gigabyte site.

Even if there were an HDMI INPUT on a system it does not mean that you would be able to do anything as it is nothing to just encrypt the data so that there would be no way to do anything at all, let alone record it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in