IR USB type device to change STB channels? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-01-31, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

IR USB type device to change STB channels?

Does anyone know of a IR blaster type device that works with Media Center and will transmit channel changes to a set top box such as a digital cable terminal or satellite receiever?

Does such a thing exist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-01-31, 07:00 PM
Digital Sage

I'm not sure if it works with Media Center, but the USB-UIRT is an IR receiver/transmitter that has support for a lot of HTPC apps.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-02-01, 01:32 PM

Microsoft makes a Media Center remote control which comes with an IR receiver and 2 IR blasters which are used to send IR signals to set top boxes to change channels. The OEM version of the remote control package can be had for about $40 at a local computer store.

You can also use firewire to change channels (more accurate), if your set top box has the firewire ports enabled. You will need to download free software called "fireSTB" to accomplish that.

Niall

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-02-01, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone know how the Microsoft product works?

Can I then hook the analog output from the STB to my tv tuner card and have MCE control the channel changes rather than relying on the tv tuner card to do it?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-02-02, 12:26 AM

You run either a composite video cable or a s-video cable from your STB into your TV tuner card, along with the audio (red and white connectors). Then you run an IR blaster bud from your Microsoft IR receiver and tape it over the IR receiver on the STB. Now when you change the channel on Media Center, a signal is sent through the IR blaster to your STB which tells it to change the channel also, which keeps the channels in sync.

Trust me, it works, a lot of people are using it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-02-02, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

thanks. I'm just a bit worried that because my capture card is MCE compliant that the software will get confused and not be smart enough to know that to change the channel it doesn't use the analog input on the card but uses the IR blaster to change channels.

I presume they've been smart enough to give users that option. I'll have to try it out this weekend I guess.. I can always return the media remote package if it doesn't work as I want it to I guess.

Thanks for your help.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-02-12, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

just a quick update.

I bought the Microsoft media remote package and it works like a charm. It was relatively easy to set up and works perfectly with my Motorola digital cable receiver.

Using media center via my xbox 360 I am able to change channels and get a full program guide even though my motorola box is nowhere near my TV.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in