Wireless Desktop for HTPC? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-01-29, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Wireless Desktop for HTPC?

I'm looking for a wireless desktop (keyboard & mouse) for my HTPC. I want to ensure that the devices have a range of approximately 20 feet. Can anyone recommend a product to meet these requirements?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-01-29, 04:06 PM
Digital Sage

I have a Gyration keyboard which works really well from 12 feet. Not sure about the maximum range.

I originally had a Gyration mouse, but the battery died and the general performance was poor so I replaced it with a Logitech 2.4G wireless optical mouse that, again, works really well from 12 feet and is supposed to have much further range. I'd have to check specific model numbers tonight.

The downside to this is that I am using two USB ports right now.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-01-29, 04:16 PM

I use Gyration for both and have no problems
(except maybe for my hands being not very steady when operating the mouse in air).

Diogen.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-01-29, 05:18 PM
Veteran

I use the wireless KB/M from BTC.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-01-29, 06:24 PM

I use the Logitech Dinovo Bluetooth combo. No problems from my kitchen if I happen to be in there and the look is appealing from a theatre point of view.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-01-29, 09:01 PM

Not sure what you're looking for as far as features but Dell currently has their wireless media keyboard and mouse on sale. It's bluetooth and they claim a range of 33 feet. It's 30 bucks off the regular price.

Quoted from their website...

Enhance your multimedia and internet experience with the Bluetooth® Keyboard and Mouse Bundle from Dell™. It includes a multimedia keyboard, a 7-button programmable mouse, and a Bluetooth® 2.0 USB receiver. The bundle adopts the Bluetooth® 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) technology and connects keyboard and mouse wirelessly to a PC within a range of up to 33 feet. The keyboard features 8 hotkeys with 8 programmable and a total of 104 keys. The typing angles of the keyboard can be adjusted while the incorporated Palmrest enhances the user comfort. In addition, the receiver enables up to 7 Bluetooth® enabled devices to be connected and function simultaneously. With all these features and more, the stylish Bluetooth® keyboard and mouse package gives you wireless freedom to create the clutter-free desktop you have always wanted. This product has been tested and validated on Dell™ systems to ensure it will work with your computer and is compatible with select Dell™ OptiPlex™ Desktop / Precision™ Workstation / Latitude™ Notebook Systems. It is supported by Dell™ Technical Support when used with a Dell™ system.

Panny TC-P60GT50, Vizio SB3651-E6 Soundbar, Harmony One, Android Box
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-01-29, 09:31 PM
Veteran

I just took a look on NCIX and they are now carrying this model of the BTC keyboard:

http://www.btc.com.tw/english/2-7-30keyboard.htm

I was hoping that it would have been available a few months ago when I needed a second HTPC KB but oh well.

This new one even has a MCE "Green Button".
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-02-05, 02:19 PM

hi all. i was looking at this thread, coz im obviously looking into a wireless keyboard (with integrated mouse) and the btc ones seem very reasonable, from ncix. any reviews from any users here? thanks!

ed
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-02-06, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

I just bought the one from Dell (Bluetooth), got it on sale for $59 and it works awesome! I would recommend it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-02-09, 01:10 PM

Talking Possibly odd combo...

I use the Apple Bluetooth keyboard with Logitech's MX-1000 laser mouse. The Apple keyboard is small and has a conventional layout. (I despise all those big fat media keyboard with crazy layouts and extra keys.) The MX-1000 is great with a cradle/rechargeable battery and terrific range and accuracy.

George
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-02-10, 11:22 PM

I saw a new Microsoft keyboard at the Vista launch in Toronto that was sexxxxy. Here's the link http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=080
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-02-12, 12:38 AM

I'm not a fan of fancy keyboards. I'd recommend Logitech Bluetooth desktops. Give the MX5000 a try. $150 is quite acceptable compared to $200+ for the DiNovo
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-02-13, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by que3jxp View Post
I just took a look on NCIX and they are now carrying this model of the BTC keyboard:

http://www.btc.com.tw/english/2-7-30keyboard.htm

I was hoping that it would have been available a few months ago when I needed a second HTPC KB but oh well.

This new one even has a MCE "Green Button".
NCIX carries another by NMedia; didn't really know which to order myself, but recently ordered the NMedia. Made the decision a la "Magic 8-ball". It does however get a fairly positive review here: http://www.virtual-hideout.net/revie...KB/index.shtml
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2007-02-15, 09:47 PM

I bought the X-Gene keyboard from Sensuz.com. It on their main page for 66.99. I wasn't expecting much but only wanted something simple for setting up the HTPC but once I got using it I really like it. It has a trackball in the corner to replace a mouse and is very ergonomic and intuitive to use. It is 2.4GHz wireless and works great for me at a distance of 20ft. Battery life looks to be good so far as I have been using it moderately for 3 weeks on the original included no-name batteries.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in