WatchHDTV Recording Question - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2007-01-23, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

WatchHDTV Recording Question

With WatchHDTV, I use an external 250 GB HDD as a DVR, so yesterday on my TV, I watched Prison Break, Heroes, and Studio 60, and then recorded 24 with WatchHDTV and watched it in my bedroom after.

I was just wondering if there was any way I could hook up the external HDD and watch stuff on my TV? Would I need a DVR that plays DVR-MS files for that, or could I connect it directly to the TV somehow? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2007-01-23, 08:38 PM

There are HD enclosure boxes that have built media players and outputs for video and audio. They sell for $40-$100 depending on features.

(you add your own hard drive).

Here's an example:
http://www.pixelmagicsystems.com/pro...d_mediabox.htm

Just search on 'hdd media players'

"Divorce is a sacred institution, one between a man and a woman that hate each other." - Lewis Black
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2007-01-24, 12:50 AM

I assume you recorded on a PC. One option is to connect the video and audio out from the PC to the TV. There is lots of info on this forum on how to do this.

Another solution to encode the file to a format that can be played on a DVD player and burn DVDs. This is a lot more time and effort in the long run. If you plan of burning the files to DVD for archiving, it might be the way to go.

A media player is another option but some media players have very low quality and good ones are fairly expensive. Make sure you get an "HD" model as these provide better video and audio quality.

Maybe the best option is a multimedia DVD player. Some will play files from a network share, local USB disk or DVD. They are also fairly expensive but offer good value for the money. Make sure you get an HD version as some older models also have poor quality. One of the best units on the market is the Zensonic Z500 but it is in limited supply.

A/V receivers are also starting to offer multimedia support. If you are in the market for a new A/V receiver, this is another option.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in