Media Center Extender Alternatives to XBox 360 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-01-23, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Media Center Extender Alternatives to XBox 360

Are there any alternatives to the XBox 360 as a media center extender for Windows Media Center/Vista Home Premium?

I really just want to be able to view pictures on my television stored on my PC and listen to .mp3's. I'm really not interested in the gaming capabilities of the XBox and was hoping to find something more purpose built for serving up .jpegs and mp3's and cheaper than an XBox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-01-23, 10:01 AM

You can do this already with Windows Media Player 11 (or Zune software) and Windows XP.

You can share pictures, music, and WMV video files. It works great...Although i wish they had support for MPEG video files as well.

EDIT: Sorry, I guess I didn't read carefully enough, I thought you already had an XBOX 360. If you are looking for something to stream music and pictures to your TV, there are products available, but I'm not familiar with them since I use the 360 for this purpose

Last edited by odiovidio; 2007-01-23 at 10:10 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-01-23, 10:26 AM

There are several devices on the market that will do this, most marketed as "Windows Media Connect" devices. That term has been retired now with WMP11 but it's the same technology. I discuss this technology and a couple devices in an older blog post here: http://www.thenears.com/archives/4

Finally, there is a new generation of extenders coming on the market probably at the end of summer that will be more appropriate to what you're looking for. Linksys has an interesting one on the way. See this link:
http://www.thenears.com/archives/188

Last edited by QuickSilver; 2007-01-26 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Please use Classified Section

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-01-26, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the response pnear. Very informative.

I'm gonna try to hold off until the next generation of extenders. I think an XBox is simply going to prove too tempting and I'll be dropping wads of cash on games
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-01-26, 03:48 AM

If you don't want to drop the cash for a 360 an origional xbox modified with XBMC makes a even better full featured media center. Incredible piece of open source software.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-01-30, 11:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDiggler
If you don't want to drop the cash for a 360 an origional xbox modified with XBMC makes a even better full featured media center. Incredible piece of open source software.
Indeed. An original XBOX running XBMC is pretty damn amazing. Plug it into your home network, connect it to your HDTV with the HD-AV kit, get the DVD IR remote add-on and you got yourself a pretty sweet media hub. I just got mine modded and love it.

Cheers.

Sharp AQUOS Quattron LC-70LE732U + Cisco 9865HD | Panasonic TC-P42U1 1080p + Cisco 4642HD | BlackBerry Z10 / PlayBook
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-02-06, 09:57 PM

A simplier solution is just used a Digital media receiver. Essentially, these devices allow you to get your photos, music, video to your TV.

source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_media_receiver

Personally, I'm using slm5500 from philips since i find it very stable. I have also started a blog to share my experience.

http://ingtes.blogspot.com/
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-02-07, 01:26 AM

Lightbulb

You could also just connect a video and audio cable from the PC to the A/V receiver and/or TV. MP3s sound great over a digital audio connection and video works well over component, RGB or DVI.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in