Question about DVI Cable from Video Card to Monitor - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-21, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Question about DVI Cable from Video Card to Monitor

I bought a 19" widescreen lcd that supports DVI, because someone told me in order to use HDTV you need a monitor with DVI or HDMI (I think) support. However, I don't know what usage the DVI cord is. I can't figure out where to plug it in.

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-21, 04:52 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
What is the make and model of the LCD? Also, what is the make and model of your Videocard?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-21, 04:55 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

He's using an ATI HDTV Wonder that he's having trouble with. Maybe he needs a DVI adapter?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-21, 05:07 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
The ATI HDTV Wonder is a tuner card, not a GPU (I believe) so we will need to know what the make and model of the videocard is. If the videocard only has a VGA output, then as stampeder notes, you will need a VGA to DVI-I adaptor.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-22, 01:53 AM

Quote:
If the videocard only has a VGA output, you will need a VGA to DVI-I adaptor.
I doubt that will be useful as it would just provide DVI-A, which provides no advantage over VGA. Many monitors (and HDCP) require DVI-D. It's best just to run a VGA cable if that is all the video card supports. To take full advantage of DVI, a video card that supports DVI-D and HDCP is required. Since such cards are in short supply right now, it would be best to wait until DVI video cards that support HDCP become cheaper. Unless the monitor supports both DVI and HDCP, the question is somewhat moot anyway. Any VGA or DVI video card should be Ok. Just use whatever cable supplied with the monitor that works. If no VGA cable was supplied, the one from the old monitor should work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in