Macrovision Stops DVD Play on HTPC - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-20, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Macrovision Stops DVD Play on HTPC

Has anybody any experience with PowerDvd and Macrovision?

I've built a HTPC that is using a motherboard with onboard nVidia chipset, the 6150 I believe. When I pop in a commercial DVD, it starts playing for about 2 seconds then the PowerDvd pops up saying that it can't play on "TV Out" because of a Macrovision problem. I'm actually using the component out of the motherboard so I guess essentially TV out and not the DVI out. I don't have HDMI on the motherboard.

I googled the error and found a couple of software fixes but they don't work. On the nVidia site they claim this can be caused by the external VGA box. Not sure if this is my problem but the component video connections are actually on a breakout box that is connected to a jack on the MB. It's a Gigabyte MB btw.

I've also tried other players including MS's Media Player, Zoom Player, and TheatreTek all giving the same error.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Congo

Panny TC-P60GT50, Vizio SB3651-E6 Soundbar, Harmony One, Android Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-20, 09:43 AM
Digital Sage

Macrovision usually only kicks in if your resolution on the analog interface is >480p so if you are upconverting to 720p or 1080i that is why you are seeing it.

If you use DVI there is not supposed to be any restriction.

There are S/W applications such as AnyDVD that will remove Macrovision on the fly and let you upconvert over component.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-20, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Since the nVidia 6150 chipset is HD, I have set it to 720p. I have it connected to my Panny plasma that doesn't have a DVI input so I am forced to use component. I'll give anyDVD a try. Hopefully they have a trial version. I really don't want have to rip my DVD in order to watch it.

Thanks again,
Congo

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-20, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

AnyDVD did the trick. Thanks

They have a 21 day trial. Now to see if I can get for less than 50 bucks US in Canada.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-20, 10:17 AM
Digital Sage

Wow, I think I only paid $20 for it a couple of years ago. Notwithstanding the Macrovision removal, the other feature it's also good for is removal of user prohibitions which lets you skip commercials.

If you can find DVD43 I think that is still free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in