WinTV-PVR-USB2: No audio - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-01-11, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

WinTV-PVR-USB2: No audio

Hopefully this is the right place for this question. If not, my apologies. This has me scratching my head, I hope someone here can help...

I have set the device up as per the instructions and everything works fine, except:

- When the RF 75-ohm coaxial is connected directly to the TV Connector on the PVR, I get no sound (but perfect picture/reception).

- If I route the coaxial to a VCR, then connect the VCR to the PVR through the outgoing coaxial, there is still no sound (but still perfect picture/reception).

- If I route the coaxial to a VCR, then connect the VCR to the device with L/R and Video composite cables, I do get sound (and picture).

So it appears as if only my composite audio connectors work. Maybe there is some sort of hardware malfunction? Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?

My audio is from an on-board Realtek AC97 with the latest drivers, all volume settings are turned up (nothing muted), and audio works fine with all other applications on the system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 06:34 PM
Rookie

Are you connecting audio from the tuner card to the line in on the computer's audio jacks?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 06:56 PM
Rookie

I have the same device and it works fine. It's an external USB tuner, and it doesn't need any connections to the computer audio card; it sends both audio and video over the USB interface.

Is this a new device to you or has this worked in the past? Do you have the latest drivers installed from the Hauppauge website?

I agree, it sounds like the problem is with the tuner section of the USB2 PVR and has nothing to do with your computer audio card or settings because that all works fine when you are using the composite video/audio on the USB2 PVR.

I don't have mine hooked up right now, but are there any volume controls in the Hauppauge software for the tuner section? And do you have the tuner section configured correctly (eg. NTSC North America)?

I'll do a quick search and see if I can come up with a suggestion of where to look exactly.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 07:02 PM
Rookie

Not sure this helps, but here's the audio troubleshooting tip from the manual:
Quote:
How do I configure the Audio for the WinTV-PVR?
While watching live TV and while recording video, the WinTV-PVR
board amplifies the audio signal. When you adjust the audio volume
slide bar in the WinTV2000 application, the WinTV-PVR adjusts the
audio volume accordingly.
While playing back a video, the PC’s MediaPlayer is used, though the
video appears in the WinTV window. The Wave Out device in your PC’s
Volume Control mixer is used to adjust audio volume.
I assume you don't hear anything while recording, but have you tried playing back a recording and is there audio there?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 07:31 PM
Rookie

OK, I hooked mine up and there are a few things you should check:

At the top left corner of the WinTV2000 application (where you view live TV) there is a volume slider (if you're not seeing any controls, right-click on the video window). Make sure the volume is at or near the top of the slider. You can drag it up or use the PgUp on the keyboard. And just below the slider there is a tiny little button... that's the Mute button. Make sure it is not green (muted). If it is, click on it to unmute.

If that doesn't fix it, click the PREF button and go into the Audio tab. In the "Current TV Audio Preferences" section make sure you don't have SAP selected (you probably want Stereo). Also on that same tab, for "Audio Mixer Inputs" I am using "WinTV Wave" and the Mixer volume is at 100%.

Hope something here solves it for you. I'm actually suspecting that it is the SAP setting that is messing you up.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-01-15, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate it. Believe me, I tried everything under the sun to coax some audio from the above configuration. As long as I passed through the VCR and sent output via composite it was fine, but no sound during playback or record with direct RF.

After a little back and forth with Hauppauge support it was determined that the RF connector was likely faulty. I brought it back for an exchange but the retail store did not have any left in stock, and they were not planning to replenish as it has apparently gone to clearance mode.

So I swapped it for an internal PVR-150 card which works perfectly.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-01-15, 10:41 PM
Rookie

Well I'm glad to hear you got something that works finally. Enjoy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in